Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

No they don't, that's what Ive been using all along in my links, but ok.

Your just being hard headed. Harris's contract, with cap inflation, is that of an 3rd to 4th option player. The cap is going to go up over the next few seasons. It's basic economics.

Henny paid an potential all star who has shown to hit clutch shots, 3rd option type money in the present market. Which also means his contract is very tradeable. Know why? Because every one's value went up due to the inflation.

• Upvote 1

I understand the concept man, you said he is getting paid like a 5th man...that suggests the 4 people ahead of him will earn more than him under the new contracts being dished out-right? If you add up 5 contracts that are even just marginally more than Harris' (lets say 1 million more each) that comes out to 90 million dollars-which is the expected cap in two years in itself!. That is just for the starting five, did I spell out how ridiculous that is better this time? Are bench players going to be all on minimum contracts?

Your projecting that the 4 ahead of him will, without a doubt, will be more of an contributor than Harris.

What if Harris comes in this season and drops 20 and 10 and makes all star reserves or something? Just hypothetically. He becomes an 1st option , 2nd option player getting paid 4th option money.

Hezonja apparently not playing Eurobasket. Quite happy about that to be honest because I'd much rather him be resting or prepping for the season.

I understand the concept man, you said he is getting paid like a 5th man...that suggests the 4 people ahead of him will earn more than him under the new contracts being dished out-right? If you add up 5 contracts that are even just marginally more than Harris' (lets say 1 million more each) that comes out to 90 million dollars-which is the expected cap in two years in itself!. That is just for the starting five, did I spell out how ridiculous that is better this time? Are bench players going to be all on minimum contracts?

Well, arguably the best player on the team is locked up for 12m a season for the duration of Harris's contract. So right away you're subtracting 4m a season from one of those 4 players who is better than Harris.

Also: 2 years from now, Gordon, Payton and Hezonja will all still be on rookie contracts, so their combined price will be around 13m, and even a pessimistic projection most likely has that as at least 1 starter and two key bench players. So that's 1 starter and 2 bench players for 3m less than Harris will be making. Best case scenario, that's 3 starters for 13m that year and we've traded Oladipo for something, I guess.

So if that happens, our starting lineup costs a total of like 41m on a 90 million dollar cap. And even if we end up at the pessimistic view CAP wise, where our SL ends up being Payton on his rookie deal, Oladipo at 18m or so, Harris at 16m, someone else at 20m, and Vuc at 12m, that's still just 69m on a 90m CAP, with two key bench players combining to make about 10m. So that's our top 7 players at 79m? On a 90m CAP? And that concerns you? Really?

You do know it's not a hard cap, right?

You do realize we can go over the salary cap. Right?

If we can fit our entire starting line-up in the cap we'll still have an additional ~18 million to play around with before we reach the luxury tax.

And the luxury tax doesn't really scare teams considering the cap/tax numbers are supposed to be at 108/127 in 17-18.

But really, let's do the math.

Gordon and Payton are up for contracts in 18

Harris makes 14.8, Vucevic makes 12.7,'Hezonja makes 5.1. Let's say we resign Oladipo at 24 million per and Fournier at 13.

All of that together is 69.6 million. That leaves us 58 ish million under the luxury tax assuming zero growth from the year prior. So we take 2 first round picks (9 million) then we offer Gordon/ Payton 24 million each and we have a solid 9 man rotation with a bit of room to fill out the rest with minimum guys and still have a zero value luxury tax payment. Or we could slip into the luxury tax a bit and add another solid bench guy.

Also, considering ownership has already shown the capacity to put up money for a winner (I.e. In 2009-10 we paid our top 3 players 50.3 mil in a 57 mil cap and 81 million in a 69 million luxury tax) I'm pretty confident this won't be an issue

Also, considering ownership has already shown the capacity to put up money for a winner (I.e. In 2009-10 we paid our top 3 players 50.3 mil in a 57 mil cap and 81 million in a 69 million luxury tax) I'm pretty confident this won't be an issue

This plus we really don't know who our top 3-4 are going to be. Mario might turn out be one. Just too early to really know.

This plus we really don't know who our top 3-4 are going to be. Mario might turn out be one. Just too early to really know.

Yeah. And Gordon might just be a role player. And Payton might command a Mike Conley type salary (middle of the market).

If Hezonja is great and Gordon is great we probably trade Harris for depth.

If Oladipo ends up being a superstar and demands the special player max we can load up on free agents the same year so we don't waste the cap space.

This is all fluid. We have a lot of flexibility that other teams don't have.

Yeah. And Gordon might just be a role player. And Payton might command a Mike Conley type salary (middle of the market).

If Hezonja is great and Gordon is great we probably trade Harris for depth.

If Oladipo ends up being a superstar and demands the special player max we can load up on free agents the same year so we don't waste the cap space.

This is all fluid. We have a lot of flexibility that other teams don't have.

Exactly and the worse thing we can do is pull an Otis style move and ruin that by being impatient.

Exactly and the worse thing we can do is pull an Otis style move and ruin that by being impatient.

There really isn't an otis style move we could make this year or next with the way the cap is jumping with artificial constraints in place.

The otis style move is going to be in 2017, giving a free agent like a 4 year 130 million contract.

There really isn't an otis style move we could make this year or next with the way the cap is jumping with artificial constraints in place.

The otis style move is going to be in 2017, giving a free agent like a 4 year 130 million contract.

Nah I was talking about the legendary panic trade.