Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

You guys are ridiculous.

At 21 rudy gay averaged 20 and 6 and what a difference that made. By your logic he should be averaging 40 ppg by now because that's how improvement works...

I do not understand why you would be surprised, I mean Hawks made it to the Eastern Conference Finals while Magic did not make the playoffs so I am sure that is a factor of why he stayed with the Hawks

I think it's pretty clear, because $30M (if this figure is accuratel) is a ****load of money.

You guys are ridiculous.

At 21 rudy gay averaged 20 and 6 and what a difference that made. By your logic he should be averaging 40 ppg by now because that's how improvement works...

You know you are better than that. You can't go an just pluck one example of a player and use that as a conclusion. My argument is that there is the chance of improvement, at 22 majority of players would not be peaking. We could go and look up all those players who end up finding their most consistent and productive years in their late 20's and early 30's.... but that would just start a back and forth debate.

Yes there is a chance that this is as good as Tobias is going to be, yes there is a chance that he might improve to be a much more rounded and productive player than we have seen. I for one would prefer to hang on to him for now willing to gamble more on the side that the best is still to come (though after the short Milsap moment I did find myself slipping from the Tobias is only 22, to the "actually I am feeling a Milsap sign over Tobias", doesn't matter now)

You know you are better than that. You can't go an just pluck one example of a player and use that as a conclusion. My argument is that there is the chance of improvement, at 22 majority of players would not be peaking. We could go and look up all those players who end up finding their most consistent and productive years in their late 20's and early 30's.... but that would just start a back and forth debate.

Yes there is a chance that this is as good as Tobias is going to be, yes there is a chance that he might improve to be a much more rounded and productive player than we have seen. I for one would prefer to hang on to him for now willing to gamble more on the side that the best is still to come (though after the short Milsap moment I did find myself slipping from the Tobias is only 22, to the "actually I am feeling a Milsap sign over Tobias", doesn't matter now)

And just like that one example, Harris is not better than Millsap for the sole reason that Millsap averaged less points 8 years ago. That's not how basketball works.

Harris is fine and worth the money even if he doesn't improve anything but his efficiency going forward. But players after their fourth year in the nba are pretty close to what they will be in most cases.

Millsap resigned with Atlanta. Henny has more work to do.

We're not going to go from one of the worse teams to the 8th seed with player development and an 19 year old rookie alone. We need another significant piece.

I do not agree with your statement. Plenty of teams have gone from lottery to 8 seed with not much of a FA purge and only development of younger players.

So I also root for the Pelicans along with the Magic. I live in New Orleans and they're in separate conferences so it isn't that hard. Greg Monroe, who is from New Orleans, has been BEGGING Dell Demps to bring him in for a meeting. Instead, they throw $60M at Omer Asik who has been beyond terrible ever since he left Chicago. The move prolly takes the Pels out of the Durant sweepstakes.

Long story short, I try to cheat and root for two teams and I'm still never gonna see a championship. :svgsad:

I think it's pretty clear, because $30M (if this figure is accuratel) is a ****load of money.

I haven't run the numbers, but it is not accurate. Orlando Magic players pay state income tax anytime they play in a state with an income tax. The benefit of playing in Orlando is that at least half of your games have no state tax, but you still get hit up for state income tax by the other states when you play their teams. Seems strange but it is true. Looking at the $30 million number, that would be a third of his salary for state tax. The top bracket in Georgia is 6%. On $90 million you are looking at $5.4, but only half the games so the number is probably closer to slightly under $3 million. When you factor in that because Georgia has a state income tax it has lower sales tax rates and property tax rates, the tax issues are pretty insignificant.

The choice was ATL where he knows they are a contender and he likes his teammates or ORL where he thinks they can be a contender and he might like his teammates.

Henny better have a plan that works this year, becuase there has been alot of movement by teams except the Magic.

Most of the movement has been from the top teams though.

I haven't run the numbers, but it is not accurate. Orlando Magic players pay state income tax anytime they play in a state with an income tax. The benefit of playing in Orlando is that at least half of your games have no state tax, but you still get hit up for state income tax by the other states when you play their teams. Seems strange but it is true. Looking at the $30 million number, that would be a third of his salary for state tax. The top bracket in Georgia is 6%. On $90 million you are looking at $5.4, but only half the games so the number is probably closer to slightly under $3 million. When you factor in that because Georgia has a state income tax it has lower sales tax rates and property tax rates, the tax issues are pretty insignificant.

The choice was ATL where he knows they are a contender and he likes his teammates or ORL where he thinks they can be a contender and he might like his teammates.

I'm pretty sure that's not how taxes work.

Yeah I checked it out. Some states have a jock tax. Not Florida, Texas, Tennessee, or Washington dc. So away games against 6 other teams don't apply. Other states have it capped at like $5,500.

What are you talking about? Taxes are based on where a person is domiciled, not where they travel for work.

Edit: There is a "jock tax" but it was declared unconstitutional by in Ohio so athletes in other states will try to follow suit.