Sign in to follow this  
Jay Magic

The Orlando Magic Sack Jacque Vaughn

@AlexKennedyNBA Scott Skiles, Mark Jackson and Mike Malone are all candidates who will be considered for the Orlando Magic job, sources confirm.

Scott Skiles has a fair resume and apparently wants the job. My concern with him is that in his final season with the Suns and Bulls, his team went backwards and he got fired. Was that a result of bad coaching, injuries to key players, or his players not getting the job done? He's an experienced head coach, and maybe that is what we need at this stage to take that next step...

Mark Jackson helped the Warriors get on the winning path. Losing record in his first season, winning record and conference semi finalist in his second season, and in his third another winning record and play off trip. Under him they played a decent brand of basketball and seemed to be putting a winning culture in place. Could be what this team needs to take the step from rebuilding to competitive.

Mike Malone had a tough first season, but his team did start this season well before Cousins got injured. He's well thought about and should get another head coaching gig.

Interesting...this **article** give Mike Malone, former Kings head coach, a nod on the small list of candidates because he was interviewed before the Magic hired JV. I'd be interested in that name purely because of how well the Kings looked in the beginning of the season, but how much of that was the roster and not the coach?

Same roster has gone backwards since Malone's firing. They have talent on their roster for sure, but I'm not convinced that the Kings had taken a serious step forwards at the beginning of this season. It was one of those quick starts that was probably going to fade as the season progressed. Malone is a good coach, but the Kings roster is a mismatched crew of players.

@AlexKennedyNBA For those asking about George Karl, I believe his preference is to coach a team out West. He had said that awhile back.

Well, there goes that admitted pipe dream. Although I don't think coaching in the West is good for ANYONE'S health...

I may get my early Magic fan wish of Scott Skiles as Orlando's head coach after all. It may even be what the team needs now. But three or four years from now..??

Besides, if you think you've seen some screwing around with Orlando's rotation before... BOY oh boy.

Scott Skiles has a fair resume and apparently wants the job. My concern with him is that in his final season with the Suns and Bulls, his team went backwards and he got fired. Was that a result of bad coaching, injuries to key players, or his players not getting the job done? He's an experienced head coach, and maybe that is what we need at this stage to take that next step...

Mark Jackson helped the Warriors get on the winning path. Losing record in his first season, winning record and conference semi finalist in his second season, and in his third another winning record and play off trip. Under him they played a decent brand of basketball and seemed to be putting a winning culture in place. Could be what this team needs to take the step from rebuilding to competitive.

Mike Malone had a tough first season, but his team did start this season well before Cousins got injured. He's well thought about and should get another head coaching gig.

Same roster has gone backwards since Malone's firing. They have talent on their roster for sure, but I'm not convinced that the Kings had taken a serious step forwards at the beginning of this season. It was one of those quick starts that was probably going to fade as the season progressed. Malone is a good coach, but the Kings roster is a mismatched crew of players.

Skiles is a good coach but is so intense that eventually his players quit on him

I'm not surprised that Vaughn has been fired, it seemed to be heading that way with the rumors. For me, this season should have been the one where this team took a significant step forwards to being competitive, perhaps getting into the 30-win range. That could still happen, but I feel we are heading for another season as another team with one of the worst win-loss records in the league. Maybe that can work in our favor by getting another high draft pick on the roster, but whoever Henny goes for, he's going to have to get it right because I don't see him getting the chance to hire a third head coach if his second continues to lose this many games.

Skiles is a good coach but is so intense that eventually his players quit on him

Thanks for clearing that up, it certainly makes sense given his reputation. I'm not sure he is the type of coach I would want us to hire, but he does seem to have experience in taking on young underachieving rosters and making them competitive.

Thanks for clearing that up, it certainly makes sense given his reputation. I'm not sure he is the type of coach I would want us to hire, but he does seem to have experience in taking on young underachieving rosters and making them competitive.

He could help Payton at the point. But at this point, we don't now what to expect from Skiles, IF he is hired.

If you haven't queued up the press conference, here's what you're missing:

BeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeP

If you haven't queued up the press conference, here's what you're missing:

BeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeP

Link or Jacque Vaughn gets rehired.

000--

Nevermind its on the front page.