Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

GAME THREAD: Magic @ Pistons

I'm not sure I'm on the "pay Harris" bandwagon honestly. He's currently averaging 18, 8, 2 and 1 steal on 48% from the field and 40% from 3. If he keeps those numbers up and his percentages don't drop too much (I'm thinking 44%/36%) and he stays healthy the entire year I'll glad pay him $10+mil. As of right now though he's yet to play in more than 61 games a year and hasn't started in more than 36 games in a season, he's a career 29% shooter from 3 and an (at best) average defensive player. No way should he get more money than Vuc though. If he wants more money than Vuc I'd let him walk.

I'm not sure I'm on the "pay Harris" bandwagon honestly. He's currently averaging 18, 8, 2 and 1 steal on 48% from the field and 40% from 3. If he keeps those numbers up and his percentages don't drop too much (I'm thinking 44%/36%) and he stays healthy the entire year I'll glad pay him $10+mil. As of right now though he's yet to play in more than 61 games a year and hasn't started in more than 36 games in a season, he's a career 29% shooter from 3 and an (at best) average defensive player. No way should he get more money than Vuc though. If he wants more money than Vuc I'd let him walk.

I'm not saying he's worth more than Vuc, but with the new salary cap money that is on the horizon, I believe we will see a lot more players with less talent than Vuc, making 12M a season or more. I think Henny signed Vuc for a bargain price. We have the entire year to evaluate what Harris is worth to this team, and I trust Henny will make the right decision. Since we have the option of matching his best offer, this could be easier than trying to talk a comparable free agent to sign with a Magic team who is not a contender yet.

Freaking Alec Burks got 10 million per year. And Zach Lowe didn't mind the deal too much (I strongly disagree with him, something that rarely happens).

I think that someone will throw Harris a huge offer, around 15 per and I think we wouldn't match that. We should've given him 12 when we had the chance

If we can not get him to agree to the same or less than Vuc, then he is not really the player I want on this team. I want players willing to sacrifice a little be in on this team, exactly like what Vuc did, because we all know he could of got max in the summer coming.

Freaking Alec Burks got 10 million per year. And Zach Lowe didn't mind the deal too much (I strongly disagree with him, something that rarely happens).

I think that someone will throw Harris a huge offer, around 15 per and I think we wouldn't match that. We should've given him 12 when we had the chance

I agree.

He expanded on that point in his podcast or maybe it was the one he had with simmons from a week ago. Basically said Utah paid for his potential and with the unknown money out there it's not a huge issue.

I love burks as a prospect but I don't think you want to set a precident that this kind of money is the rate for upside. You'll just end up with a bunch of Travis outlaw type of contracts under the old cba that will cripple your franchise.

I'm extremely happy about the win but...

Some of you guys make me sick with your short sighted thinking. We are not going to win a championship this year. Playing Luke over Payton will only benefit this team in the short run but it will not give Payton the needed time to grow into an NBA premier point guard that we all hope he will be. JV is trying to win games now to protect his job which is great but if we win 35 games this year and come back next season and Payton is not confident and ready to take the next step as a player we will not improve. Also the strategy of bringing guys along slowly when they're rookies or young players is what veteran teams with a winning record do not a team that has been in the bottom of the league standings the last 2 years. Last thing I'll say to respond to people saying Payton can't score or he's not ready to lead the offense, this is the same guy who a week ago scored 15 points with 9 assist and the same guy who single handedly got us back in the game against philly with his great d and assist.

He took 2 jumpers tonight and made 1, he played 5 minutes total. Please explain to me how this will make him a better player? I bet Milwaukee fans and Denver fans wish there dumba$$ coaches would have played Harris and Fournier more when they had the chance not to mention Vuc as well.

Worst post of the season.

Do I think Harris is worth $10+ million. Yes, I think he is, especially with that new TV deal coming and hitting the salary cap. However, I STILL emphasize we have to begin to choose who we want to sign and who we are willing to let go. I'm sure Henny has a break-down on paper (or in his head) regarding how much players are worth and what it allows for financially to sign future players and picks. We HAVE TO remember we're going to need money to resign Oladipo, Fournier, and Gordon, not to mention (likely) Payton. All of those guys if playing to their potential are ALSO worth $10+ million. So... who do you choose? For me, I want guys who make the others around them better and play both-ways.

In my mind, Harris is a good scorer, but he isn't a particularly good passer (making teammates better) or a good defender. He's a character guy and a good teammate, but you can get that in other places. I want to put my money in Vuc, Oladipo, and Fournier, with Gordon/Payton being interchangable with Fournier depending on how they progress - though we don't have to worry about their extensions for 2-3 years. O'Quinn will also be here for a while too as a solid rotation big-man who fits into our culture.

Again, Harris is worth the money, but is not who we want to pay on this team.

Worst post of the season.

Shake my hand, only retards can't see why playing a rookie only 5 minutes when this team is not ready to compete for anything this year is a smart move. Especially when everyone is saying he is the PG of the future for us. Do you not realize up until JV started pullin his minutes he was in the running for ROY. Some of ya'll are so desperate for a win that you're losing sight of the big picture.

On a side note: Every time I post something about Elfrid getting more opportunities here you come defending JV's decisions to sit him. Please change your name and your pic already.

Shake my hand, only retards can't see why playing a rookie only 5 minutes when this team is not ready to compete for anything this year is a smart move. Especially when everyone is saying he is the PG of the future for us. Do you not realize up until JV started pullin his minutes he was in the running for ROY. Some of ya'll are so desperate for a win that you're losing sight of the big picture.

On a side note: Every time I post something about Elfrid getting more opportunities here you come defending JV's decisions to sit him. Please change your name and your pic already.

Sitting him short term while he adjusts to the NBA isn't going to hurt his development. Rondo didn't play 20 mpg until after the all star break in his rookie year.

Sitting him short term while he adjusts to the NBA isn't going to hurt his development. Rondo didn't play 20 mpg until after the all star break in his rookie year.

Right, and look at how long it's taken for his shot to develop!

I'm kidding, of course, and look at JJ, he certainly needed off court time to develop as well. Off court development can be good for a player, and I might go so far as to say that on court development, if a player isn't ready for that step, could even be detrimental to their development.

That being said, I still kind of agree. I think Payton is ready for, and needs more of those minutes unless he absolutely implodes, especially getting him playing with Dipo so they can start developing on court chemistry.

Right, and look at how long it's taken for his shot to develop!

I'm kidding, of course, and look at JJ, he certainly needed off court time to develop as well. Off court development can be good for a player, and I might go so far as to say that on court development, if a player isn't ready for that step, could even be detrimental to their development.

That being said, I still kind of agree. I think Payton is ready for, and needs more of those minutes unless he absolutely implodes, especially getting him playing with Dipo so they can start developing on court chemistry.

I think we need to balance it. He was losing confidence in his offense and is on a 5/22 shooting streak. Give him major minutes against Miami with no threatening point guard and little rim protection. Don't let Chris Paul embarrass him.