Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Magic CEO Alex Martins announced contract extensions in early May for Hennigan and Vaughn through the 2015-16 season believing they have build a nice core and culture, however, this hasn't stopped a few news outlets to report Jacque Vaughn might be let go this year if he doesn't show signs of improvement and it appears very few people in the media believe in his coaching abilities. Media scrutiny will not cost Vaughn his job but Rob Hennigan believes we are capable of making some noise this year and in so many words has put Jacque Vaughn in the hot seat to start progressing with our roster. I Thought it might be interesting to keep track of his seasons success and failures and get feedback.

Where is the talk of Vaughn being in the hot seat coming from or is this speculation on your part? I don't think JV is a very good coach personally and do not believe he is the long-term answer but I haven't read anything indicating Henny feels that way...yet.

In my opinion, I do not think he should be fired and if he is fired, I think that is unfair since Magic is in rebuilding mode now, I would give him 2 more years and if he does not show any improvement then he should be fired

Where is the talk of Vaughn being in the hot seat coming from or is this speculation on your part? I don't think JV is a very good coach personally and do not believe he is the long-term answer but I haven't read anything indicating Henny feels that way...yet.

This is a good question, as angry as I was with JV's game plan in NO, and as angry as I get when the media overlooks our team, I have not heard this either!

It may be me but who/what can you source here? Link?

When Jacque Vaughn was hired, we all know it was not to win games but develop talent. He would then have a shot at being the coach when this team got good again. 

As long as the talent is developing and the team does not totally implode, Vaughn will be the head coach, thus putting him in the hot seat.

Vaughn's status could be up for debate with management this summer or next season if the team has not made progress. 

I don't feel they are not going to can him mid-season.

Henny hasn't come out and publicly declared JV is in the hot seat but if you read between the lines, Henny said It's time for this roster to show progress and he believes this team is capable of making the playoffs as that was his goal.

Vaughn's days of tanking are over he will be expected to show progress and prove that he's a capable coach.

I wouldn't mind him being fired, but as long as he plays the rookies, and works on getting them game time experience i wont be out yelling for his head either

• Upvote 1

This is a good question, as angry as I was with JV's game plan in NO, and as angry as I get when the media overlooks our team, I have not heard this either!

It may be me but who/what can you source here? Link?

Mostly all speculation and opinions, which is why I want some of our fans opinions.

links

http://fansided.com/2014/08/19/orlando-magic-rumors-jacque-vaughn-hot-seat/

http://2minswithandrew.com/orlando-magic-jacque-vaughn-is-on-the-hot-seat-to-win-in-2014-15

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/09/30/orlando-magic-jacque-vaughn-is-on-the-hot-seat-to-win-in-2014-15/

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ufiy5k6DmHw

Bill Simmons is not a fan of JV either.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-and-jalens-2014-15-nba-preview-orlando-magic/

Coaches being fired too soon and media pressure is the exact reasons why you don't see team chemistry last for more than 7 years similar to mostly small and major market teams. You have to keep building on the foundation. We can't keep removing the base.

We have to remember that this is someone's job we're talking about. Knowing that our jobs aren't prone to direct scrutiny in the news to the extent in which they mention your name and your face; this is a different type of pressure that most people don't face. Now how does that affect his job performance? Wouldn't say it would be much more difficult seeing the noose swinging from the oak just ready for you in advance?

So calm down. I know there's coaches available to replace him but yes.....this should not be priority.. We need stability.

Too bad we didn't keep that stability when we had Stan. I would have loved to see him still here as our coach.

That being said, while I agree stability is important, you also have to build the foundation of that stability with solid pieces. I'm not convinced our current coach meets that requirement at this point, but I'm also not convinced he can't grow into it. The real question is, can we afford to wait around and find out?

If the right coach, the right long term, proven prospect is available, I'm not so sure we can.

• Upvote 2

Since this is the first year with an "all Henny" team, we need to see what he does without being in a tank mode. I'm anxious to see his rotations when Dipo and Channing come back, and if we see a steady progression from our draft picks. I think this might be a make or break year for him as far as whether or not he is really our coach for the future.

Too bad we didn't keep that stability when we had Stan. I would have loved to see him still here as our coach.

That being said, while I agree stability is important, you also have to build the foundation of that stability with solid pieces. I'm not convinced our current coach meets that requirement at this point, but I'm also not convinced he can't grow into it. The real question is, can we afford to wait around and find out?

If the right coach, the right long term, proven prospect is available, I'm not so sure we can.

I think it had less to do with Stan as a coach and more to do with moving forward from the Otis-D12-Stan era to start something new.

I think the organization just grew tired of it and wanted to move on. Hennigan pretty much made sure to get rid of everybody from that era.