Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Yeah, that's a great point as well.

No it's not. Not at all. Just because a guy plays one game (25-35 mins max out of however many minutes he's played in his career) playing predominantly in the paint doesn't suddenly negate the fact that he's a very effective 3 point shooter. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if Jacque didn't draw up a 3 point play for our (probably) best 3 point shooter. If Frye sinks that shot nobody even for a moment thinks this and we all move on. Because he didn't it's some kind of big deal. Not exactly sure how the outcome of one shot (which on average only goes in 35-40% of the time) is a reason why Vaughn is a bad coach.

(EDIT: Kind of assumed that barnettej was talking about Frye here based on stuff he was saying in the chat, just realized that he didn't actually mention Frye in his post.)

No it's not. Not at all. Just because a guy plays one game (25-35 mins max out of however many minutes he's played in his career) playing predominantly in the paint doesn't suddenly negate the fact that he's a very effective 3 point shooter. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if Jacque didn't draw up a 3 point play for our (probably) best 3 point shooter. If Frye sinks that shot nobody even for a moment thinks this and we all move on. Because he didn't it's some kind of big deal. Not exactly sure how the outcome of one shot (which on average only goes in 35-40% of the time) is a reason why Vaughn is a bad coach.

(EDIT: Kind of assumed that barnettej was talking about Frye here based on stuff he was saying in the chat, just realized that he didn't actually mention Frye in his post.)

You missed the fact that Frye is a very streaky shooter. I would not be calling his number if he had not made a three all game..... but then again, who else do we go to?

Confirmation bias

I'm sorry you feel that way and I can see how that post might come off like that. I don't post here looking for pats on the back, to argue when I'm wrong, or try to portray myself as some kind of basketball savant. I joined here to chat with fellow fans of my beloved Orlando Magic.

I'm not making excuses, truth be told I missed some of the game and when I saw Ben Gordon defending Brewer I questioned as to why Harkless was on the bench. I'm not a big Ben Gordon fan and have mentioned I don't care for his low efficiency volume shooting and defensive liabilities (Not that he doesn't put forth the effort). I feel Ben Gordon will shoot you out of more games than he will win for you and should not be getting more minutes than Harkless.

After the game was over I glanced at the box score, as I always do. I was happy Harkless received more minutes than Ben Gordon this game and was hoping JV continued this. After all this was the very reason I started this thread, to talk about JV's progress as our coach and express what we would like to see from him as the season progresses.

The box score also changed my opinion on Harris as I didn't feel he had a very good game, I saw him force too many shots and he looked to still be having trouble finishing around the basket, maybe I'm too hard on him as his box score also impressed me.

You and JV were absolutely right with four fouls Harkless should have been on the bench at that stage of the game, this also explained why Gordon was guarding Brewer. I jumped the gun and assumed JV was ignoring the defensive matchups and sticking to his set rotations that have had me scratching my head. Thanks for your input.

I *did* kind of quote Barnette in my post.

I don't know if you misunderstood me/us but clearly I didn't have a problem with his three point shot, I had a problem with him being posted up constantly before that shot. Two totally different things. My point was I want him taking many more shots like that in general. As far as that game, I think part of the reason he missed it (and badly for him, front rim) is because he wasn't in much of a three point rhythm... or at least not as much as I wanted him to be.

I think the best head coaches play to your strengths... and hide your weaknesses. I don't believe JV was coming anywhere close to playing to Frye's strengths until the very end of that game.

We really pushed the pace! Vuc, Frye, Harris had good games. I think JV was too quick to bench Payton and A. Gordon and felt JV could've come up with a better last second shot then just letting Harris isolate his man. I feel we were out coached in the 4th quarter, unfortunately that's when it matters the most!

Not letting Payton guard Lowry in that game was the first thing Jacque has done that's made me really annoyed at him. Ridnour is fine, he moves the ball, he can make an open jumper, I'm happy with him being our backup guard... But seriously... He can't defend.

• Upvote 2

Not letting Payton guard Lowry in that game was the first thing Jacque has done that's made me really annoyed at him. Ridnour is fine, he moves the ball, he can make an open jumper, I'm happy with him being our backup guard... But seriously... He can't defend.

You bet!

It is safe to say that whatever view JV takes and see's this team through, at the most critical times in close games, it is the total opposite of what most others to include announcers and beat writers see!

As I watched the game last night, I could not help feeling like "JV is going to find a way for us to lose this game" but did not say so while in the chat room, because it was in a very positive place/state and....we were having a great time as usual!

It is also safe to say that I was not alone (in this sentiment) and many others were feeling the same way, and just at that moment, (the start of the 4th qtr) looking at the lineup and not seeing our best defensive players there at the start, and knowing that we needed stops and fast break points, we have Luke and BG at the 1 and 2 positions only means that the defense will suffer, which it did!

Now, if anyone can please give me a valid reason to bench Payton in the 4th qtr, I would love the hear it but I think is beyond reason!

Harkless and Elfrid have worked well in the defensive schemes and produced steals and fast breaks......... ummmm the very thing we needed to win this game!

Now did anyone hear in JV's post game interview when he said, "They don't want to hear what a coach has to say?" . I think JV is starting to lose this locker room and he knows it!

The reason they don't want to hear you coach is because you have continued to make all the wrong personnel/match up decisions at the right time...to the opposing teams advantage, every game!

Yes, this is a young team, a very young team, but without drinking the KOOLADE they have shown us a lot of what they are capable of over the course of the past few games, to include fight for a win.

We must take advantage of every opportunity to win every game every time we hit the floor, JV must start to gain the respect of other teams, coaches and here is the big one.... the Ref's!! Not blaming the refs here, but the lack of fouls called for our guys in the paint, and the completely unbalanced # of calls that the opposition gets, lends itself to the lack of respect we get, starting from the coach!

I am trying to remember the call in the 3rd qtr that caused Casey to lose his mind (and he was justified) he/they immediately got 2 make calls back to back against us!

Rebuilds are a progression, in my view if the coaching decisions, specifically with games on the line continue this way, we are going to lose a very talented group/team due specifically to the lack of tangible and verifiable leadership!

JV... it is time to step up your game dude, the guys you are supposed to lead, may have left you behind! Catch up..... For the record, I think he can do it!

Let's Go Magic!!!! smile_beatcomp.gif

Now, if anyone can please give me a valid reason to bench Payton in the 4th qtr, I would love the hear it but I think is beyond

Let's Go Magic!!!! smile_beatcomp.gif

It's better off for his development to play big minutes vs Shane Larkin than Kyle Lowry and Ridnour was holding his own in this game.