Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official 2014-2015 Strapped-In Season Thread

It's odd, but as I see it right now, unless something improves in him, it's almost like Oladipo is the odd man out in this group of players I want. Now of course we all know something is off about his game, as his explosiveness on offense and defense is currently lacking. Nonetheless, if he remains the same, I wold rather have Payton, Harris, Vuc, Gordon, and O'Quinn as our core over Vic. I think he gets back to last year's form - as we finally decide to make him a slashing SG - this all changes.

My fear, as mentioned before, is that O'Quinn will be offered a good contract that we might not be able to match long-term. Hope we resign both Harris and Harkless though.

What makes you want to resign Harkless?

Oladipo shooting numbers a greatly improved on last year.

Oladipo shooting numbers a greatly improved on last year.

I think you must have misread that I wrote Harkless, as his name isn't in there. As far as I'm concerned, Harkless will find another team, but I don't know if he'll ever live up to his potential unless he can get confident to take the ball himself and make shots - which he won't find opportunity for in a Magic uniform at this point.

I admit that after looking at his numbers I was a little reactionary and short-sighted. What I DO still believe is that he doesn't look as explosive on offense (though his decision making has been better), which then makes his defense not as stingy. I got crossed over I don't know how many times by Jameer last night, and in previous nights, he hasn't been able to keep his man in front of him well.

His offensive numbers are better than I expected though. I can totally admit that I was being reactionary.

We do have to make a decision though, because it's become more and more apparent that O'Quinn is going to get paid, meaning we can really only choose 4 (maybe 5) of Vuc-O'Quinn-Oladipo-Harris-Gordon-Payton to keep long-term.

I personally would rather invest in Vuc-O'Quinn, as talented & smart big-men are hard to come by in this league, followed by Payton (who makes the players around him better and inevitably will get a jumpshot), and Oladipo/Harris are tied as the 4th-tier. Scoring SG/SFs are easier to find in this league over good big-men or Pass-first PGs. Gordon I do not have enough on to evaluate as of yet.

...Hope we resign both Harris and Harkless though.

I think you must have misread that I wrote Harkless, as his name isn't in there.

Look at your post again. You listed Harkless as a player you wanted to resign.

Good stuff.

• Upvote 1

I think you must have misread that I wrote Harkless, as his name isn't in there. As far as I'm concerned, Harkless will find another team, but I don't know if he'll ever live up to his potential unless he can get confident to take the ball himself and make shots - which he won't find opportunity for in a Magic uniform at this point.

I admit that after looking at his numbers I was a little reactionary and short-sighted. What I DO still believe is that he doesn't look as explosive on offense (though his decision making has been better), which then makes his defense not as stingy. I got crossed over I don't know how many times by Jameer last night, and in previous nights, he hasn't been able to keep his man in front of him well.

His offensive numbers are better than I expected though. I can totally admit that I was being reactionary.

We do have to make a decision though, because it's become more and more apparent that O'Quinn is going to get paid, meaning we can really only choose 4 (maybe 5) of Vuc-O'Quinn-Oladipo-Harris-Gordon-Payton to keep long-term.

I personally would rather invest in Vuc-O'Quinn, as talented & smart big-men are hard to come by in this league, followed by Payton (who makes the players around him better and inevitably will get a jumpshot), and Oladipo/Harris are tied as the 4th-tier. Scoring SG/SFs are easier to find in this league over good big-men or Pass-first PGs. Gordon I do not have enough on to evaluate as of yet.

I do agree that Oladipo's explosiveness is not quite back, but I am sure it will at some stage, grueling playing an NBA schedule. So I think after all star weekend break he may then have his legs back.

I disagree that we can't keep all of our core together. We are allowed to go over the cap. I do think you are rating O'Quinn a little high, he still has so much more to prove before I would say he is in the core group. I would then also argue that elite SG's are fast becoming one of the hardest positions to fill.

We have committed owns who are willing to go into luxury tax. What reason would say we don't lock away Oladipo, Harris, Gordon, Payton and maybe Fournier in the future. I would not expect them to all fetch siginficantly high numbers, and if they all come to a collective agreement we may be able to get them for less than what other teams offer, especially if they are all keen to stay together.

Between six and eight frontcourt players will make each All-Star team. Vucevic and Harris rank fifth and sixth among Eastern Conference frontcourt players in Estimated Wins Added, a PER-based stat that accounts for playing time, behind only LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Al Jefferson and Chris Bosh.

image_thumb8.png?w=620&h=337

This is not to suggest Vucevic and Harris should make the All-Star game, merely that they’re reasonable candidates. Of course, it’s unlikely they’ll be treated as such – especially in tandem.

The Magic are 11-20. It’s hard enough for a losing team to send a player to the All-Star game, let alone two. In the last 30 years, just 11 teams with losing records at the All-Star break produced multiple All-Stars.

http://probasketball...-own-for-magic/

You guys are hilarious in your player assessments. After a good game "WE NEED TO KEEP THIS GUY" after a bad game "I'm not sure if this guy is a part of the future".

Let's try to keep our emotions in check and realize that trends are made over 82 games, not 1.

But....Carlos should start and he's the future of this franchise. Travis Diener should be backup point!

But....Carlos should start and he's the future of this franchise. Travis Diener should be backup point!

Bass is better than Ryan!

HOW CAN OTIS LET DARKO GO!!!???