CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

What makes him different from 10.4/6.3/1.6 in 28.7 minutes on the 95-96 Timberwolves that only won 26 games?

Oh yeah, context.

Let's build some context then.

Swift was the number 5 high school recruit in 98 and an all American.

Noel was the number 1 recruit. All American.

Swift averaged 13 ppg 7 rebounds and 2.6 bpg in 26.6 mpg in college in the SEC

Noel averaged 10.5 ppg 9.5 rpg and 4.4 bpg in 31.1 mpg in the SEC

Swift's draft report from nbadraft.net:

Nba comp-Shawn Kemp

Strengths: Amazing athlete. As a senior in HS dunked from the free throw line in a dunk contest. Very good moves around the basket. Has all the tools to become a top PF in the NBA. Good hands, soft touch. Good competitor.

Weaknesses: Inexperience. Passing and defense can improve. Post moves can get much better. Needs to demand the ball and take over more then he does already.

Draft Outlook: Top 2 pick

Noel's draft report from nbadraft.net (edited for brevity)

Comp-larry Sanders

Strengths: Noel's ability to deny his man any daylight to the rim and be a rim protector makes him even more dominant, and a potential defensive enforcer for the NBA ... An elite level athlete with great quickness and explosive leaping ability ... Great length, reported 7'4 wingspan ... Showed surprising ability to get steals using his quick hands (2.1 per game)

Weaknesses: Offensively, Noel's game is rudimentary. He has shown some development but the general perception is that he will never be a strong offensive player, instead he impacts games with his defense, rebounding and athleticism ... Won't be able to "out-athleticize" opponents for baskets at the next level the way he has in college ... Scores mainly on put backs and dunks when he gets a clear path to the basket, or when teammates are able to create for him

No outlook listed.

"Swift has shown the ability to play with his back to the basket, and can face up and shoot the ball inside of 17 feet. In the lane, he is nearly automatic because of his touch and ability to rise and dunk over people -- which leads to his robust shooting percentage. He has the tools to improve as a shooter because he has pretty good mechanics, good hands and a good touch.

True to his name, Swift can really run the court, and he is an outstanding shotblocker and offensive rebounder. To be a complete player, he needs to improve his ballhandling skills to where he can face up comfortably and make a decisive move, dictating to the defense rather than the other way around. He also needs to improve his shooting numbers from the perimeter and the free throw line." -- ESPN's Jay Bilas

Noel:

“I don’t know that he will always be limited offensively, I just don’t see him as getting that much better. I don’t see somehow someone is going to teach him a post move and he’s going to be a Olajuown, that’s what I’m saying. I think you play that long to this point, I don’t see him turning into a guy that’s going to knock down 17-18 foot jumpers and then go into the post and have a tremendous post game. He doesn’t strike me as being that type of player.

“I’m not closing off. I think he’s going to get better, especially since he’s a hard worker, he’s a really good kid, he wants to be good. So he’s going to get better. But I’m talking about his offense getting up to All-Star potential like his defense is. His defense is All-Star. His offense is not near that and I don’t see it getting there.

And thats a great assessment of Noel. He is a fantastic rim protecting C with limited offense. In other words, you can't put this guy next to Vuc if you want Victor and Elf to get space.

And that why I wouldn't trade the 5th pick for him.

When Noel is on the court in Philly, they are the 2nd best defensive team in the entire NBA… and that's as a rookie.

How the hell did you come up with this?

And thats a great assessment of Noel. He is a fantastic rim protecting C with limited offense. In other words, you can't put this guy next to Vuc if you want Victor and Elf to get space.

And that why I wouldn't trade the 5th pick for him.

Well you are assuming I want to keep Vooch :). Maybe Skiles can make Vooch into a great low post defender, but teams that win championships typically have great defensive bigs… or now go small ball.

Look I believe there is zero chance the Magic trade for Noel. All I I am saying is I think he's a good young player. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. So could all of us about all of our players.

Here you go…

[/size]

http://grantland.com...ie-of-the-year/

You misread this info.

"He’s the primary reason Philly’s defense has jumped from 27th last year to 12th this season — and it plunges back down when he leaves the hardwood, according to NBA.com."

I wanted Noel or Ben Mac in that draft and I still think both of those guys make sense for our roster. But Victor could become something bigger so Im fine with the pick.

I just know that Noel and Mclemore already bring a few things that we need pretty badly - rim protection and shooting.

Here you go…

[/size]

http://grantland.com...ie-of-the-year/

I thought so. Basically that uses defensive rating for a single player( Noel actually got better by the end of the season and averaged 99.2 per 100) and compared it to a team (golden state had the best defensive rating in the nba at 101.4)

Let's extrapolate that to other players

When Noel is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA.

When kahwi is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

When Bogut is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

When Duncan is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

When Draymond is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

When gobert is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

When Tony Allen is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

When deandre Jordan is on the court, they are the best defensive team in the entire NBA

Also, Paul millsap, marc Gasol, Drummond, Davis, gortat, al Jefferson, zaza, Danny green, hibbert, Randolph, Luis scola, pau, and that's when bball ref stops counting as they only supply the top 20.

Conversely, based on that same premise, when noel is on the court, Philly is the worst offensive team since the 11-12 bobcats.

You misread this info.

"He’s the primary reason Philly’s defense has jumped from 27th last year to 12th this season — and it plunges back down when he leaves the hardwood, according to NBA.com."

That's the net or cumulative effect, not when he's specifically on the court, so I don't think I misread it.

Conversely, based on that same premise, when noel is on the court, Philly is the worst offensive team since the 11-12 bobcats.

If true, this would not surprise me at all. Dude has no offense.