CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

What 2 way centers have won a title in the last twenty years? It's basically just Duncan and Shaq in, if I'm being generous, 2 of his titles. Wallace was useless on offense. Bynum was just ok. Perkins was massively overrated on both sides of the floor. I doubt anyone even remembers who started at center for the Bulls during their second 3-peat.

So that's....6, maybe 7, of the last 20 titles?

Vucevic is 24, and even if he never is better than what he was last year, he'll still be worth substantially more, to the tune of literally 4-5 million dollars a year, than we're paying him.

First, Vooch is incredible value. Totally agree. That said, I think you nailed it. What defensively limited centers have won the title… that's my concern with Vooch. I think of Duncan (at the 5), Chandler, Bynum, Wallace, etc. All were defensive anchors down low, which is what I think we'll eventually need.

EDIT: Even Bosh became a plus defender at the 5 in Miami, right?

First, Vooch is incredible value. Totally agree. That said, I think you nailed it. What defensively limited centers have won the title… that's my concern with Vooch. I think of Duncan (at the 5), Chandler, Bynum, Wallace, etc. All were defensive anchors down low, which is what I think we'll eventually need.

EDIT: Even Bosh became a plus defender at the 5 in Miami, right?

I think we might want to wait to see what Skiles does for Vucevic. Just like we shouldn't trade harkless.

LOL exactly. It's funny. It's almost like people on here are trying to accept other options instead of Mario just so they can say "This is actually a good pick" or "See I said this would be the pick" or "This pick makes sense".

I have to disagree with this statement. Of course everyone has their favorite prospect but I believe real fans start thinking about players who could possibly be a good fit on their team. I'm all about GM's drafting BPA and I truly don't believe that WCS is a top 5 talent. As a GM you look at fit as well as BPA so that's why I feel Hezonja, Winslow, and Porzingis are better talents than WCS, while being much better fits on this team. A good GM would be foolish to go through a draft process and have their focus on only one player. I think a lot of us are just passionate about our team so we look at a number of players who "WE FEEL" could make us better. Just my opinion on it.

Darko was just phenomenal. It couldn't have been more perfect in a certain way. At some point the coaches got involved and asked to see particular things. And Darko couldn't miss and was aggressive and rose to the moment with the players watching. I was sitting next to (Dumars). He's not expressive, he plays everything close to the vest. But Darko was just so impressive. It was literally the best workout I've ever seen. I've seen hundreds and it was the best. When you have a 7-1 kid, who is 17 years old, doing the things he was doing, it was a "wow" moment, especially for a team that needed a big man. There was just a buzz afterward.

-Chad Ford in 2013

Don't let pre draft hype sway you.

• Upvote 1

Ford: About a week after that Darko workout in New York, the Pistons brought him to Detroit and he worked out again. It wasn't as good as the first one but he was impressive and they pretty much committed to him then. Will Robinson was this legendary scout for the Pistons. He had discovered Grant Hill, Joe Dumars and many, many others. Will compared him to a young Wilt Chamberlain. I wrote his quote but people always seem to attribute it to me.

Will Robinson (Pistons scout, 1976-2003): [Darko] is going to own the game. Own the game. We're going to have to build a new arena. The only thing that could destroy a kid like that is a woman.

I'll never go away. I have 3 guys I want. People can change their minds, of course I do too. But to make 40 posts last week saying how much you love Mario, than 40 posts this week saying how much you love WCS, than saying how Porz would be a good pick too, it's just entertaining. Can I not be entertained?

It just comes off to me like some people are trying to brace themselves for being letdown on draftnight, and to counter that, they're trying to convince themselves they would be okay with this or that guy when in reality they really want this guy.

It's really annoying how you think I love all these players. The same thing happened last year. I never have changed my mind since I said I wanted Mario actually.

Not one time.

I clearly posted multiple times why I am posting these things. It's sad that you can't figure it out.

By your logic, when people make mock drafts they should just do one after the lottery balls and then stop after that.

That's essentially what you are saying.

I have to disagree with this statement. Of course everyone has their favorite prospect but I believe real fans start thinking about players who could possibly be a good fit on their team. I'm all about GM's drafting BPA and I truly don't believe that WCS is a top 5 talent. As a GM you look at fit as well as BPA so that's why I feel Hezonja, Winslow, and Porzingis are better talents than WCS, while being much better fits on this team. A good GM would be foolish to go through a draft process and have their focus on only one player. I think a lot of us are just passionate about our team so we look at a number of players who "WE FEEL" could make us better. Just my opinion on it.

Exactly. It's not rocket science to figure out what some of us are doing. I guess for some posters it is.

Funny thing about Darko is exactly the issue people have with Mario - Attitude. Attitude killed Darko. He did have all the skills and I don't doubt for one second that his workouts were amazing.

He was very good on defense. Had a really nice stroke from long range. He just had a really bad attitude and partied way too much. That type of stuff can ruin some folks. Some guys, it won't. Darko, it did.

But with Porzingis, people say he is the next Bargiani. Actually, if there is a next Bargs, it would be Mario. Porzingis is very engaging and a hard worker. The main question mark with Mario is his attitude. That is why I am afraid the Magic may pass on this guy and more importantly, it may be the right choice long term. Bargiani had all the tools except he was a diva and loved himself more than the game. That type of stuff matters. Look at Larry Sanders. Would anyone say he was not talented?

For me personally, Im not going to cry like a girl if we don't draft him even though thats who I wanted. I went through that when we took Victor over Noel when he was still on the board, and that decision is still up in the air. I know why Rob took Victor and Im cool with it.

I will know why Rob doesn't take Mario and I will be cool with it. But what a great surprise it would be if he did.

It's really annoying how you think I love all these players. The same thing happened last year. I never have changed my mind since I said I wanted Mario actually.

Not one time.

I clearly posted multiple times why I am posting these things. It's sad that you can't figure it out.

By your logic, when people make mock drafts they should just do one after the lottery balls and then stop after that.

That's essentially what you are saying.

That's essentially not at all what I'm saying. Obviously you can make a case for 5 guys for us to draft at 5. All I'm saying is one week your all Mario, the next your all WCS and now Porz.

Of course you can switch your opinions and guys you want, but whenever you specifically switch, you have to get into it with other guys on here trying to convince them of why said player should be the pick and how they're wrong. It's sad that you can't figure that out.

Exactly. It's not rocket science to figure out what some of us are doing. I guess for some posters it is.

This from the guy who posted yesterday that everyone on here wanted Porz, which is my entire point of what you do. When you make your switch from the player you want us to draft (which is fine, everyone switches), you spend all day trying to get other people to agree with you on here. You did it with Mario, you did it with WCS, and than you kind of did it with Porz, but when it didn't work you just made a general statement saying we all want him. To which a few posters pointed out they clearly didn't.

I can't wait to see who you have in mind for us next week. I'm thinking Mudiay will be your guy, with Johnson being the darkhorse candidate.

Honestly I like most of your posts and agree with you far more times than I don't on here, just think this draft-trend is funny.

Darko was just phenomenal. It couldn't have been more perfect in a certain way. At some point the coaches got involved and asked to see particular things. And Darko couldn't miss and was aggressive and rose to the moment with the players watching. I was sitting next to (Dumars). He's not expressive, he plays everything close to the vest. But Darko was just so impressive. It was literally the best workout I've ever seen. I've seen hundreds and it was the best. When you have a 7-1 kid, who is 17 years old, doing the things he was doing, it was a "wow" moment, especially for a team that needed a big man. There was just a buzz afterward.

-Chad Ford in 2013

Don't let pre draft hype sway you.

Best post in weeks on here. And isn't pre draft hype exactly what is swaying people?

Best post in weeks on here. And isn't pre draft hype exactly what is swaying people?

Yeah, that's the whole thing. There's so much that goes into the success of a person and being an elite nba player is a really difficult thing to do. When looking at prospects there are a lot of different elements to consider and examples that always contradict the rules.

That's why I like betting on the guys who are obsessed with basketball. It's why I love Winslow. Those guys don't fail.