CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Anybody check out that Indian dude Satnam Singh 7'2 290? He's got about a 6" vertical LOL

Yep, he's terrible.

Problem is we kind of saw that in action last year, and it wasn't pretty. Dedmon may have a lot lower ceiling than WCS but the one dimension he was pretty good at was rim protection. And we still sucked, because with him in (and Payton and maybe Gordon) we were playing 2 or 3 v 5 on offense.

I don't want to see last year (or the year before that or even the year before that one) repeated again next year.

I've already posted about this more than once, but Ill do it again - Dedmon has stone hands. He can not run a pick and roll on offense at all. He is not even close to as good on offense as WCS. That's how bad he is on that end of the floor. Again, WCS played WR in high school football and while he is limited on offense, you can run the 1-5 Pick and Roll through him all day long, which opens up the floor a lot more than anything Dedmon could do.

This draft may tell us something about how the front office sees Aaron Gordon in regards to future primary position. There are both good wing prospects (Mario and Winslow) and good PF prospects (Porzingis and WCS) so if they believe those four players are in a similar tier, I'd guess they will draft for the position AG won't be filling as a long-term starter.

It won't. Gordon is 20 and is going to be developed like he is 20. If we draft a PF or SF it will not tell us too much that we don't already know. The Magic believe he can play both positions and he played both positions last year. He even guarded 5s and 2s at times. He is a swiss army knife really. We could resign Harris and let him and Gordon battle for minutes, and it does not mean that the Magic don't think Gordon will not end up the starter at some point. My opinion has alway been that Harris is a super 6th man who can come off the bench and play 3 or 4 and get lots of minutes while giving our bench the scoring punch it desperately needs.

I like the Mario/Gordon tandem a lot too. But if you think about it, Gordon at 4 is better next to a true rim protector. The reason is because he can then be tasked to lock down the best player on the other team and not have to worry about helping Vuc out down low. That is why I like WCS if the Magic take him.

But I believe from the Magic's drafting of Nicholson and signing of Frye, they value the stretch 4. This allows Gordon to play SF a lot more, which gives us a big advantage.

I hate to say it, but it makes more sense to draft Porzingis over Mario. First off, a 7 footer with that skill set is worth taking a gamble on if you are looking for a potential star. He is going to be unguardable from the 3 point line. We will have our shooter and it will be at the stretch position. He also will be a better help defender than Gordon. This will allow Gordon to lock down the opposing team's SF where he really shines on D.

Of course you can run small and give players a breather and play Gordon at 4.

I think Porzingis would be a very good backside help defender next to Vuc and would probably be a better pick than Mario for that reason. Plus our line up would be very long.

If we had a rim protecting C then I think Mario would be the better pick.

I think you don't understand what he's trying to say. Bogut defended Tony Allen because they preferred other matchups for Draymond and Allen isn't offensively talented enough to exploit Bogut. That doesn't mean Bogut regularly defends shooting guards.

Cleveland is likely going to stick kyrie on Harrison Barnes in order to avoid curry or Thompson destroying him and that allows shumpert and LeBron to defend them. You can't say Kyrie defends small forward regularly.

I never said any of those things. I don't think you understand what Im trying to say, but magicblue did.

He looks more lost than asleep. I think he would drive Skiles crazy.

I'm not sure about that. He can play really good defense when he wants to, quick lateral movement, always in front of his guy, bothering shots, but he turns off when he's not getting his offense going for whatever reason and that's where you'll see him make mistakes on D. He's a good enough athelete to play good defense and Skiles is the perfect guy to help him if he's willing to learn.

We can slide Aaron Gordon to PF and go wing in the draft.

Vuch

Gordon

Mario

Vic

payton

It goes with scott's style of play: up up tempo, defensive, and we get balance of offense and defense. I just keep thinking of Aaron's role. We invested a lot in him.

My case for WCS is built on a couple of things that I project to happen

1) We are sliding AG to the 3 and losing Harris

2) Which leaves a hole at the 4 for a starter.

3) Then that leaves you with the question of defense or offense for the 4 spot, which is why I land with WCS

However, if you were to change #1 and keep AG at the 4spot, then I am 100% in for Mario or Winslow. I just don't see the Magic drafting Mario if they're going to try and slide AG at the 3 as well. Then you have a log jam with 2-3 spot.

3) Then that leaves you with the question of defense or offense for the 4 spot, which is why I land with WCS

However, if you were to change #1 and keep AG at the 4spot, then I am 100% in for Mario or Winslow. I just don't see the Magic drafting Mario if they're going to try and slide AG at the 3 as well. Then you have a log jam with 2-3 spot.

If we got WCS, I think long term the team would be looking to trade Vuc and have Gordon play the 4. Just makes more sense. You can then fill the SF spot with a 3 point shooter and the team would have offensive balance.

People think Gordon needs to start immediately but there is a real possibility he could come off the bench again this year. So he could easily come in and play 4 next to WCS so the Magic could see how this tandem works together. IMO, it would be pretty nice.

If we got WCS, I think long term the team would be looking to trade Vuc and have Gordon play the 4. Just makes more sense. You can then fill the SF spot with a 3 point shooter and the team would have offensive balance.

People think Gordon needs to start immediately but there is a real possibility he could come off the bench again this year. So he could easily come in and play 4 next to WCS so the Magic could see how this tandem works together. IMO, it would be pretty nice.

Do you think the Magic would really want to trade Vuc? Why not keep him and allow him and WCS to compliment each other? I could see a set up where you could run either WCS or Vuc on a PNR with Payton, then the one who picks rolls out for the 12ft shot and the other stays on the block waiting for the lob if Payton drives.

You'd have to make a decision one way or another and I could see that working out really well.

I agree we need outside shooting desperately, have you looked at Mario's defense. He is lost most of the time. Forget about him playing a switching defense. It is going to take a lot of work for him to become even an ok defender. This is why you have to take Winslow over him. The guy shot over 40% from 3 this year, its not like he is a bad shooter.

These things can be said about most rookie wing players. That's why Skiles is getting paid the big bucks.

I somewhat agree with you. I agree that AG may be sliding to the 3, but won't be a starter yet. He still has to prove he's capable. IF we go WCS, Tobias is still the preference, but not at max. If we lose Tobias, I can see us making a run for a shooter like Dunleavy to start at SF until someone steps up. He won't be a bad mentor either. We'll still have Fournier, AG, & Moe to handle backup SF mins.

As much as I'd welcome WCS starting, I don't think it would happen right away. Meaning either Frye, Nicholson, or free agent PF (Ed Davis? is the starter).

As for offense vs defense, going by history of Rob & Matt, they've leaned defense. However, Porzingis may be the player to switch it up for. WCS is the easy fit and allows for more flexibility within lineups, but Porzingis has the higher ceiling. Glad I'm not the one making the decision.

3 more weeks....

It's interesting because, as you've pointed out, this draft choice will pretty much be Henny showing his hand about his vision for our future. If we go wing (Winslow, Hezonja), he likely sees AG as our future PF and if we go PF/C (WCS, Porzingis) he likely sees AG as our do it all, Shawn Marion type, wing. Interesting draft to say the least.

I somewhat agree with you. I agree that AG may be sliding to the 3, but won't be a starter yet. He still has to prove he's capable. IF we go WCS, Tobias is still the preference, but not at max. If we lose Tobias, I can see us making a run for a shooter like Dunleavy to start at SF until someone steps up. He won't be a bad mentor either. We'll still have Fournier, AG, & Moe to handle backup SF mins.

As much as I'd welcome WCS starting, I don't think it would happen right away. Meaning either Frye, Nicholson, or free agent PF (Ed Davis? is the starter).

As for offense vs defense, going by history of Rob & Matt, they've leaned defense. However, Porzingis may be the player to switch it up for. WCS is the easy fit and allows for more flexibility within lineups, but Porzingis has the higher ceiling. Glad I'm not the one making the decision.

3 more weeks....

I love the idea of Ed Davis. Has anyone else noticed his PER? In case not, it's 20. For comparison, Tristan Thompson's PER was 15.7 for the regular season. Under the radar Henny-style guy who we should have signed last summer frankly.