CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

I knew Vooch would come up in rumors, as he's our best trade chip and really struggles at controlling the paint on defense.

I knew Vooch would come up in rumors, as he's our best trade chip and really struggles at controlling the paint on defense.

Yeah, my issue is Okafor and Vucevic are basically the same player. We have vuc locked up. Okafor definitely has a higher ceiling but his floor is drastically lower than Vucevic who is basically at his floor unless we expect him to get worse

Yeah, my issue is Okafor and Vucevic are basically the same player. We have vuc locked up. Okafor definitely has a higher ceiling but his floor is drastically lower than Vucevic who is basically at his floor unless we expect him to get worse

Agree, I wouldn't trade Vooch for Okafor. Surely Henny is up to something interesting.

4 out of our top 5 players are 22 and under. Our #4 pick from last year missed half of the season. Harris missed 14 games. Fournier missed 24 games. We replaced or two highest mpg players from the season prior.

We ended up 3 wins outside of the pre season Vegas predictions. Most rational fans had us in the mid 30's for wins if everything bounced the right way for us and high teens if everything went wrong. We ended up in the middle.

What the ***** were you expecting?

I think irrational fans had us in the mid thirties. Vegas is realistic and we are what our record is....bad. What am I expecting this year....how about a reason to go to a Magic game. Face it our team is only interesting to our most hard core Magic fans. We have a long way to go.

On the ESPN rumor, I have no idea but just for sh*ts and giggles:

LAL- Cousins

SAC- Magic #5/Vucevic/Jeremy Lin

ORL- #2 LAL/#6 SAC +Julius Randle and Nik Stauskas

Works in the trade machine. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=netmaxs

Our new starting 5 would be:

C- Okafor with #2 pick

PF- Randle

SF- A. Gordon or Tobias or Winslow or Hezonja with #6 pick

Oladipo

Payton

I think it's Fantasyland but a guy can dream can't he?

what do y'all think about this (if someone already brought this up, kindly disregard):

Orlando Magic are considering trading down in the NBA Draft, their GM says

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-nba-draft-0623-20150622-story.html

"Trading the fifth pick for a spot later in the first round could net the Magic a valuable veteran to add to their young nucleus — a young nucleus that desperately needs veteran help. The Magic's most significant positional need is at power forward, and it seems Texas' Myles Turner, UCLA's Kevon Looney, Arkansas' Bobby Portis and Kentucky's Trey Lyles all could be available at No. 10 or later."

On the ESPN rumor, I have no idea but just for sh*ts and giggles:

LAL- Cousins

SAC- Magic #5/Vucevic/Jeremy Lin

ORL- #2 LAL/#6 SAC +Julius Randle and Nik Stauskas

Works in the trade machine. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=netmaxs

Our new starting 5 would be:

C- Okafor with #2 pick

PF- Randle

SF- A. Gordon or Tobias or Winslow or Hezonja with #6 pick

Oladipo

Payton

I think it's Fantasyland but a guy can dream can't he?

If we came away from the deal with the second and sixth picks in the draft, plus Julius Randle and Nik Stauskas, then I would do that deal. I think a line up like you suggested has potential. It would be very young, but there's no doubt that we would have a very good young nucleus to build around in the Atlanta Hawks mold - ie no star, but lots of [potentially] good to very good players at each starting position.

Payton / Oladipo / Harris (or #6) / Randle / Okafor (#2)

Russell (#2) / Oladipo / Harris (or Gordon) / Randle / WCS (#6)

I think we'd be set with either of those line ups. Granted we might not make a huge jump next season, but hopefully Skiles could get them playing tough basketball and getting us into the 30 win range. Then when the cap is expected to increase, use it to bring in veterans to add depth to the bench. We could even turn a talent like Payton or Gordon etc into a veteran player, or if we land Okafor, trade back from #6 to get a mid first round pick and a veteran. Lots of options to make it work.

That said, this is probably unlikely. And perhaps what we should be doing is looking to build around our existing core of talent in the same way the Hawks have. I think Payton, Oladipo and Vuc are 3/5ths of a solid line up. They'd meet the criteria of being a good to very good starting player at their respective position. If we can solidify our SF and PF position with good to very good players through the draft, trade or free agency, and then strengthen our bench, then we could make a jump next season without having to go as young as this trade would make us have to.

I honestly think we have the pieces and flexibility to follow the Hawks star-less type model, and maybe that should be the model we follow rather than pinning our hopes on getting a star.

Wouldn't the better deal for Sacramento be cousins for Vucevic and 5?

Agreed, and I would be fine with this. We already know how good Cousins is, regardless of his reputation.