CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

The weird thing is. Even if we got the #1 I don't actually know who we'd pick. I know that I'd pick Towns and I'd like to think Henny would too but I don't think it's a certainty.

He might trade down, if he believes Gordon is the PF of the future. I wouldn't be sad about that at all, I think he has all the tools

I agree. Even if we fall to 6 we could take Hezonja who has as much star potential as anyone in the top 5. Many would argue the same for Porzingis.

That is why this draft is deep to me. I believe there is going to be someone taken around 10-14 who ends up being one of the better players in the draft along with guys from the top end. It's just a very interesting draft in that regard.

There is another fun thing with this draft, and one I would laugh if it happens. If two teams that are #5 through #14 move into the top 3, then Lakers don't get a pick, Philly gets it. If one of those teams is currently #11-14, then Miami loses their pick to Philly as well. So suppose the Suns and the Magic move into the top three, this pushes Philly's own pick to #5, they would also get LAL's pick at #6, and Miami's pick at #11; as the Lakers pick is top 5 protected and Miami's is top 10 protected. Obviously, I would prefer us being one that moved into the top 3, but I'm not sure I would mind moving down to #7 if both LAL and the Heat ended up losing their picks this year.

Russell looks like a good player but we will not be successful in the playoffs without a significantly better front court. Gordon might have stretches of effectiveness playing in the front court, but he will not likely ever be 'the guy' locked into the front court. His biggest strengths are best realized at the three, imo. We need a true front court player who can battle down low on either end. Russell is a duplication of talent, Towns represents something we desperately need. :creaturedance:

We can upgrade our front court in free agency. The point is that the Magic need to draft the BPA and if they don't pick #1 (highly unlikely) than they may be looking at a guy like Russell, and I would be just fine with that. We are in no position to be drafting for need. We need to be drafting for the BPA as we have no superstar player currently.

There is another fun thing with this draft, and one I would laugh if it happens. If two teams that are #5 through #14 move into the top 3, then Lakers don't get a pick, Philly gets it. If one of those teams is currently #11-14, then Miami loses their pick to Philly as well. So suppose the Suns and the Magic move into the top three, this pushes Philly's own pick to #5, they would also get LAL's pick at #6, and Miami's pick at #11; as the Lakers pick is top 5 protected and Miami's is top 10 protected. Obviously, I would prefer us being one that moved into the top 3, but I'm not sure I would mind moving down to #7 if both LAL and the Heat ended up losing their picks this year.

If they did end up with three first round picks, and we landed a top three pick, I'd be okay with that. I'd even be willing to consider an offer from them that includes two of their first round picks for our top three. But if they can get a haul like one of these two scenarios, it would certainly help their rebuild:

1. Draft two of Winslow, Johnson and Hezonja with #5 and #6, and with #11 add Payne (pg) or stack up on athletic centers with Stein (maybe then try to trade one for a veteran PG?).

2. Draft Kristaps Porzingis and one of Winslow, Johnson and Hezonja with #5 and 6, and with #11 add Payne or grab another scoring option like Sam Dekker, Devin Booker or Kelly Oubre.

If they passed on drafting a PG, maybe they could try to make a splash in free agency by targeting Dragic, Knight, Jackson, or Rondo; or set their sights lower at Lin or Williams type PG. A trade could also be an option since they have a boatload of picks. But if they end up with three good young talents, and manage to acquire a PG, they'll be on their way. That is, until they decide to blow it up by trading away a supposed key piece...

We can upgrade our front court in free agency. The point is that the Magic need to draft the BPA and if they don't pick #1 (highly unlikely) than they may be looking at a guy like Russell, and I would be just fine with that. We are in no position to be drafting for need. We need to be drafting for the BPA as we have no superstar player currently.

I agree, but lets say we retain the following base, or at least re-sign Harris and Deadmon:

PG: Payton / Ridnour

SG: Oladipo / Fournier / Gordon

SF: Harris / Gordon / Harkless

PF: ? / Frye / Nicholson

C: Vuc / Deadmon / O'Quinn

That does leave a glaring hole at PF, and it would be tempting to draft Porzingis at #5. I'm not sure exactly what his ceiling is, but he's well regarded and could be an ideal solution at PF. That would allow us to focus our attempts in free agency on adding more shooting and scoring options for our rotation. This route would also follow Henny's plan of developing the team through the draft, and sensible use of free agency. But if he desired, he could always try to land a big fish, maybe a PF, and try to trade Frye for a veteran pieces in other positions.

Though you're right that we should draft the BPA, and if that's Winslow (SG/SF), Johnson (SF), Hezonja (SG/SF), or perhaps one of the consensus top four that falls to us, then maybe we should take them. Adding another forward could create a logjam, especially if we keep Harris, but adding more shooting and scoring is a necessity. Like you say, we could then target a free agent PF to solidify the team (eg Paul Milsap, Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Josh Smith, Thad Young, Draymond Green, or Jeff Green). But how likely is it that any of the big names will come here, and likewise, do we really want the next tier down?

I'll be honest, I doubt Love opts out to join us, I only see Aldridge in Portland or Texas, and while Millsap is the most likely, I don't see Atlanta letting him walk out the door. After them three, do we really want Josh Smith or Thad Young? Not really. Do we want to overpay an undersized Draymond Green? I wouldn't. Or what about paying another tweener in Jeff Green? Again, I wouldn't.

I'm not saying you're wrong about drafting BPA and using free agency. If Russell is there then I'd probably take him, even though we have Payton and Oladipo. But if it's a choice between one of Winslow, Johnson, or Hezonja and upgrading PF with Porzingis (or Stein if we fall), then I'd be tempted to upgrade the PF position unless one of the SG/SFs are significantly better right now and have a higher ceiling.

"I'm not saying you're wrong about drafting BPA and using free agency. If Russell is there then I'd probably take him, even though we have Payton and Oladipo. But if it's a choice between one of Winslow, Johnson, or Hezonja and upgrading PF with Porzingis (or Stein if we fall), then I'd be tempted to upgrade the PF position unless one of the SG/SFs are significantly better right now and have a higher ceiling."

In this situation the Magic will probably go with Winslow or Mario honestly. They need a wing badly even if they keep Harris. BPA is the best strategy when you are a lottery team because, you are a lottery team. Lotto teams need stars and have to go with who is best on the board.

For example, if we pick at 3 and it goes Towns then Russell, I would not be shocked if we took Okafor or Winslow.

We need to see how the combine goes. A lot changes over the next few weeks as we saw with Payton's rise last year.

I agree. Even if we fall to 6 we could take Hezonja

Yes PLEASE, he's my favorite player in the draft and IMO has as much potential as a Johnson or Winslow. He has elite size for the position and has great athleticism. He's already a better shooter than Johnson and Winslow and arguably just as great as an athlete. I was shocked that Winslow only measured in at 6'4" cause he does play much bigger than that

The combine already happened.

Yeah meant team workouts. Brain farted while reading about combine measurements.