Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

I'm me, I'm pretty sure I'd know better than you if I got upset or not. You'd love to picture me sitting here with tears running down my face, I'm sorry to burst your bubble. I'm fine with people disagreeing with my opinions, as long as me disagreeing with their opinions doesn't lead to private messages threatening to ban me. Too bad that doesn't seem possible around here. Respond again with another personal attack if you wish.

Lol you are right, you obviously do not get upset at all about these things. You are free to post your opinion till your little heart is content, you just come off as childish when you get upset about all the big meanies who don't agree with you.

This board is moderated by fans, for good or bad. Honestly, it's a total pain in the backside and volunteer gig. As I don't have the time to read through this whole thread, I have no idea what's going on. If there's some serious issue, PM the mod or the captain mod, Live or Die Magic. Otherwise, respectful of the TOS, let's move forward. And, for the record, I've been on Pewter Report for years. They have plenty of challenges moderating their boards, too. Thanks

Thank You, sir....To tired to look it up....So we did overpay...with no player/team options.

We had to overpay, otherwise Frye stays with the Suns. Henny for some reason really wants this guy. I will await the crucifixion until I see the product. Henny's moves are purposeful. This season, he is clearly not trying to bottom out the team. He is getting pieces that fit to create a team with multiple dimensions. He wants a big who can PASS and SHOOT. This is what Frye brings to the table. It will allow the wings more space to drive to the basket or pass out for a score.

There was just a really interesting article that was posted on SB nation about how the Spurs overpay (relatively) for role players and it doesn't matter because of how they get major contributors on smaller deals. I think that is a slippery slope but it made me wonder if we aren't going on a similar route. I can't paste the link from my phone, if someone finds it it kinda fits with the Frye signing.

There was just a really interesting article that was posted on SB nation about how the Spurs overpay (relatively) for role players and it doesn't matter because of how they get major contributors on smaller deals. I think that is a slippery slope but it made me wonder if we aren't going on a similar route. I can't paste the link from my phone, if someone finds it it kinda fits with the Frye signing.

Here you go. Link

Vooch? Hmmm...

Frye and Ben Gordon both address a weakness we had last year - OFFENSE. Ben Gordon was in a disgruntled situation last season, and will be playing for contract money since his second year is not guaranteed. Frye's role as scorer and passer, plus veteran leadership, will also be valuable for the team. Henny is not buidling this team to lose this year. He is adding pieces to make the Magic a better contender. Can't wait to see the product on the floor.

Vooch? Hmmm...

Maybe. Either that or you have to learn to not get attached to specific players if their skill set can be replaced by someone for less. How do the Spurs do that? Are they creating such a tight knit bond that these guys would rather be happy than get a few million extra?

You severely over value Frye, this much is obvious. Your tactic is to keep repeating that I don't understand things, you'll continue saying this until I say I agree with you. Well, I don't agree with you, and I understand your posts just fine. If Frye was half the player you believe he is, he'd still be a member of the Suns. The reason they let him go is because he doesn't bring enough to the court to warrant such a contract. You laugh at the chances of us signing Parsons, please bring up the Suns letting Frye go so that they can sign Lebron, I'd love to hear it.

Addresing bold - 1. False. I don't care if you agree with me. Just understand what you are saying. The last post I highlighted you said you understood what a stretch 4 did and then simplified it by saying any good shooter on the floor can do that. No, not any good good shooter can pull an opposing PF out of the paint. Only a PF with a high 3% can do that, and there are not many with the IQ of Frye (which I illustrated in the Dragic article that you failed to acknowledge).

Go ahead and read this - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2117561-phoenix-suns-2014-nba-free-agency-big-board-ranking-top-targets-post-draft/page/6

Once again, I don't need to repeat things over and over. I address what you say and provide articles that prove my point. I have not seen much from you and you never really seem to provide any evidence besides your own anecdotes to back up your opinion.

2. The Suns would love to have Frye. What you just said is completely false and has zero basis in reality. See the link above for one piece of evidence or just follow the NBA more.

I guess you want to pretend that they are not looking to get Lebron James and as a result are afraid to spend on free agents until they get an answer. Not sure if you noticed, but the Suns haven't signed anyone yet - have they? So are the chances of them getting Lebron slim? Yes they are indeed. But they are actually going after him and the Magic are not going after Parsons. If you disagree, feel free to provide evidence.

You brought up the fact that the Suns are doing this like it is laughable, when it is actually a reality whether you choose to accept it or not. The magic pursuing Parsons (and hayward) was decided against as soon as they saw his market value was going to be too high. It also made more sense to get a stretch 4 to pair with Vuc and finally provide orlando with floor spacing to open up the lanes. A SF just can not open the lane like a stretch 4 can. Anyway we can't count the multiple numbers of PHO/LBJ articles documenting this actually happening, but we can count any that document the magic pursuing Parsons. The answer as of now is zero.

Feel free to dispute either of the two points I just addressed. Just use some form of evidence and logic without taking things personal and complaining that everyone is out to get you. Playing the victim is very unattractive.

Here you go. Link

This is really, really good stuff to read. I believe Hennigan is doing this for sure. Lets look at the patterns here as evidence. Boris Diaw is our Ben Gordon. Diaw delivered on his second chance and got a new deal as a result.

IMO Fournier is our Ginobli. one of the first guys off the bench who can initiate offense.

Frye is the Vet starter who should be a fixture here for the next 4 years and be a floor spreader for what I believe will end up being looked at as a fair contract.

My earlier post got glossed over, but I think it's a good starting point to steer the conversation back into relevance.

kinda have to agree with Eskobar a bit. Let's just make a checklist of some stuff:

Is Channing Frye...

a good rebounder (defensive and offensive)? meh

a shotblocker? no

a good defender? meh

a strong athlete? yes, but the age is a concern

Does Channing Frye...

have a good post up game? not really

anchor a defense? no

get to the FT line often? no

help teammates get easy shots? Yes and no. Yes he does help space the floor, but his very low AST% (6.4% last season) must be accounted for.

Right now that's all I can think of but I'm sure there are more things he can and can't do. All I'm seeing is the shooting aspect, and the multiple (beneficial) outcomes that come from good shooting. I understand that is a big deal, but I don't see what else he really excels in.

The other perspective I see in this argument is that, Frye is a big man who can shoot the three. We can find guys who shoot the three easily, but perhaps his specific position is something the Magic value more aside from the shooting. Besides Spencer Hawes, I don't see a comparable big man who can shoot like Frye on the FA market now, and i'd have to think about what players fit that criteria.