Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

I'm in agreement that he can help our team this season, but this season isn't the focus. A rebuild is about the future and he's not part of that. I truly don't even care about the contract other than it's fully guaranteed. I don't care that we overpaid him, I just don't understand why Rob felt it was necessary. As I said before I believe this is the kind of move you make when you're on the verge of turning the corner, but that doesn't apply to our situation. Even some of the people who like this signing agree that he probably won't even be around when we start to contend, further illustrating my point of how useless this signing is in terms of the future.

This season is about culture and development. Frye brings that. He's "been there before" which is something none of our young guys can say. Building the right mentality is a necessary part of building success.

I don't mean any offense, but you stated "okay let's try this" and then proceeded to repeat everything that has been said. Everything is centered around his ability to stretch the floor. This isn't a foreign concept to me. Channing Frye is not the glue of a team, he isn't the engine that makes everything work. His value is being drastically overstated.

I never imagined a guy with a PER of 13 would draw so much positive feedback. I have a feeling a lot of you are going to be disappointed in what Frye provides to the team. Expectations are pretty high with this guy.

You completely ignored my comments about his passing, his above-average defense, built-in acceptance from a young team-leader, and reputation as a character locker-room guy; instead saying all I did was "repeat everything that has been said".

You also ignored that I stated I do have some doubts about him. And you then wonder why people take offense at the tone of your posting-style?

kinda have to agree with Eskobar a bit. Let's just make a checklist of some stuff:

Is Channing Frye...

a good rebounder (defensive and offensive)? meh

a shotblocker? no

a good defender? meh

a strong athlete? yes, but the age is a concern

Does Channing Frye...

have a good post up game? not really

anchor a defense? no

get to the FT line often? no

help teammates get easy shots? Yes and no. Yes he does help space the floor, but his very low AST% (6.4% last season) must be accounted for.

Right now that's all I can think of but I'm sure there are more things he can and can't do. All I'm seeing is the shooting aspect, and the multiple outcomes that come from good shooting.

Harris is already a much better rebounder, and a better all around scorer. Frye is limited mostly to 3pt shooting, he's not very efficient anywhere else. Harris can score from pretty much everywhere, he just needs to improve his three point shooting. Once he does he'll be far and away a better offensive player than Frye could ever dream of being. That alone gives him a big advantage, throw in the better rebounding and Harris starts to pull away. Harris is going to get better, he's ten years younger than Frye and already has a more complete offensive game.

Yes Harris is going to get better. Yes Frye probably isn't. Harris is not going to create space for all the other athletic type players on our team. You say all he needs is to improve his 3% to do the same thing.... he shot 25.4% from 3 last year so he going to need to do a boatload of improving not just a little to EVER make a 4 move out on the perimeter without worrying about needing to collapse back in.... Frye on the other hand will. Harris does rebound better... by 1.9 rebounds a game. I'd say that's in Harris's favor I agree there. Harris can score from more area's of the court than Frye can but all this does is take us back to the spacing argument. Harris isn't going to score elsewhere on the court with any efficiency if no one in the starting 5 is a credible outside threat. Hell realistically the Frye signing will help Harris when he's playing the 3.

End product we have signed someone who provides what the team needs on the court at the moment (spacing/outside threat) to succeed in a stratedgy that will work for the kinds of young players we have. The logic is completely obvious. He won't restrict our youth's development. He gives us something we need. The only negative he has is his contract is a bit big in terms of money and length but as others have shown it won't have the kind of negative impact you seem to think it will.

I gave Hennie a hard time for the gordon contract and letting jameer and afflalo go for nothing.. looking back..I am accepting the afflalo trade pending of course how fournier plays out. Even though we could it got something better for him during the season..I'm ok with Fournier.

The jameer waive still not sure what the reason was. Maybe jameer asked for it. That still bothers me as we still need a pg.

This recent signing I'm ok with it. Channing is truly a gem. He does have 4 more year left and at decent for just 8 millions per year. Remember that BBD has a 6mills per year and McRoberts just got almost 6 per as well. Bosh is getting 20 per. Channing is clearly a player in between so at 8 per year is what his value is. He is a great vet who can lead this team..This is the type of players that stars wants to play around. We need to get this type of players prior getting eventually a potential star. I think the young core will surprise next year and we will become a desire destinations for players. Likely not through free agency but through trades.

We still early in the free agency process and we still have cap room left.

Don't use quotations and then spew nonsense that I've never said. I never said we are screwed, I never said the sky is falling, I never even said this HURTS our future. I said it was a meaningless signing in terms of our future, and it is. He doesn't help us contend now, and he doesn't help us contend in the future. Argue that if you wish, but it's the truth.

You took that part of my post as though I meant them as direct quotes of you rather than the general feeling your posts are portraying..... really?!?!? If you truly don't think that is the kind of feelings your posts are putting forward you maybe need to rethink some of your strong language and writing style.

Also how is giving our youth a better game plan (spacing for them to use their athleticism) to try and perform better meaningless for the future? I would completely consider this helpful to their development. This signing isn't about a player that will win us a championship. It's about helping the players that will hopefully bring us a championship in the future.

I actually think Frye is decent in the post from what I've seen (I don't know what the stats say) he just takes most of his shots from 3 because that's where he best helps the team.

Via Peter Vescey

I saw headline: Channing Frye Signs For 32M...and all I could think of was, did he sign for 27 years?

• Upvote 1

I don't understand what you mean with "built in acceptacne from a young team leader".

Is case you didn't know, Frye is Harris's older cousin that he's looked up to for many years apparently. I believe this is what jmmagicfan was referring to.

before the lock out the contrat length would have been 5 year for new teams and 6 years for same team. it helps to get contracts off the books faster.

:svgsad: It was a joke.

Is case you didn't know, Frye is Harris's older cousin that he's looked up to for many years apparently. I believe this is what jmmagicfan was referring to.

I guess that's cool and all, but what or how does that relate to the rest of the team?