Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

Your argument is that it's ridiculous to believe a 21 year old player will improve his game. Because of this, I don't have much to say to you.

I can't imagine where you see Gordon in three years.

Straw-man argument -- look it up if you don't know what that means. No one here is saying that a 21 year old player can't improve.

But you're using that as a basis for your argument -- and that's your problem. You're presenting 0 facts, just your beliefs on what you feel may happen in the future. And even your beliefs aren't based on any recent trends -- that's what the stats say, not me.

And you wonder why no one takes you seriously.

Interesting, here's a recent trend for you.

He missed the first month last season, shot horribly from 3 the following two months, and then in February, March, and April he shot 34.6 percent from three. Is that recent enough for you? You didn't question 4thewin when he mentioned Harris shooting poorly the last few months two years ago, are you going to question him shooting well the last few months of last season?

There are your facts, spin away.

No, and that's the point. I'm not gonna make any judgements based on inconsistent shooting (2 months here, 3 months there) and neither is Rob Hennigan. And this is precisely why he brought in a guy who is a consistent shooter so that he doesn't have to.

It was the first time in his career getting significant minutes, maybe he tired out? The difference between his career average and a goal of 33 percent is only an additional five made three's for every 100 attempts. He strikes me as a hard worker, I remember reading about all of the extra work he put in last offseason, I hated seeing him have to miss so much time to start the season. I believe it will greatly help his game to have a set position and consistent minutes.

Again, I think if he showed this ability in college or at some point during his career you'd be right (like when we all hoped Dwight would improve his ft shooting back to his rookie season).

Also, 33% is the benchmark for acceptable shooting. A good shooter is 38%+

Interesting, here's a recent trend for you.

He missed the first month last season, shot horribly from 3 the following two months, and then in February, March, and April he shot 34.6 percent from three. Is that recent enough for you? You didn't question 4thewin when he mentioned Harris shooting poorly the last few months two years ago, are you going to question him shooting well the last few months of last season?

There are your facts, spin away.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that he improved each month going forward. In February he shot 30.4 percent, in March he shot 35 percent, and in April he shot 44 percent. Could my crazy idea that his injury impacted his stats be possible? I believe these stats just might show that funny little thing called "improvement".

He had a three game stretch in April where he went a combined 3/4. That probably skewed the stats considering he went 29/122 for the rest of the season.

You specifically used the word "trends", did you not? What exactly do you think a trend is? Two months here, three months there, is EXACTLY what a trend is.

LMAO. This is really what a trend means to you -- really -- i'm dying of laughter here. This is just too good. It's like, my argument is actually made for me by the guy arguing against me .

You're backing off of that now because the numbers presented are better than you thought they'd be.

No they are exactly what I thought they would be - inconsistent.

His first two months were horrible, he was coming off of an injury that kept him out a month. He clearly regained form the last three months and his percentages went way up.

I'm simply using the same method you used to support your argument. You didn't mind posting April stats from the prior season that obviously skewed his season stats, right?

I was just throwing those numbers out there to point out the fact that he wasn't a great shooter at the end of last season. Not basing my argument on it and I wouldn't want to use a string of 8 games to make a declaration much like I won't hype up oladipo's three point shooting % post all star break. The volume wasn't there so we cant expect that he shoots lights out this year (though I am optimistic on his part).

If you go through Harris' season, he has weird islands of good shooting nights followed by abysmal shooting. He went 4/8 during a two or 3 game stretch at some point during the year which was immediately followed by a 3/14 shooting stretch over the next 11 games. I think if the season was 6 games longer, Harris would move closer to that 30% for the month.

We can all hope Harris improves his three point shooting. He's had enough bad circumstances to excuse his performance. But I don't think you can use a 4/9 shooting stretch and declare him a good shooter.

His overall FG% and his 3pt % for the final five months of the season. Hmm, I'm noticing a trend. Can you spot it Elfrid?

.500/.444 - April

.506/.350 - March

.475/.304 - February

.444/.190 - January

.392/.207 - December

Good research....LOL.

Even if you take out the April percentage, he still shot a respectable percentage to end the season, but more importantly he showed great improvement as the season went along in both his 3pt shooting and overall shooting. Going by the numbers I posted it seems very possible the first two months of his season were spent shaking off rust. These are the months you keep pulling numbers from to support your case.

Bottom line, a young guy shot noticeably better as the season progressed. That's all you can ask from a young guy, for him to show improvement. Hopefully this season he starts off healthy and builds on his strong finish from last year.

These two paragraphs present points that are largely mutually exclusive.

If the first few months should be discarded on the grounds that he was shaking off rust/recovering from injury/rounding into shape after missing time, then fine: then we have to accept the last few months as not being a trend of improvement, but rather being him reverting to what is normal for him.

In that case, in the final two full months of the year, he shot 30.4% from 3(7 of 23 followed by 7 of 20), before going 4 of 9 in April.

Had to clear off the dust before I posted. Not reading through 22 pages but I love what Frye brings from a floor spacing perspective especially his ability from the top of the key.

Also catching up on this page Harris is not a good shooter.

Go Magic!

Believe!!!!

I didn't say "any good shooter" , I specifically mentioned 3pt shooting. Because we're talking about Frye, I obviously meant anyone at his position, not just any random player. Did you really think I meant a PG shooting 3's would be the same?

This is what I'm talking about with you, you CONSTANTLY twist what I say into what you want it to be. You even quoted this post before and highlighted what I said, and STILL get it wrong with this post.

Any stretch four with a consistent ability to hit 3's would bring the same benefits to the team as Frye. That's the entire point of me bringing up Harris, with an improved three point shot we already have an improved version of Frye.

There's no chance I debate this again today, you've shown repeatedly that you'll flat out ignore what I say or twist it around to your liking. I just wanted to provide one last example of this with this post.

Have a good day.

I didn't twist anything. I bolded your sentences and then debated them. You did not specify a position at all. This is clear by my first bold here. You did not "obviously" mean anything. If you did, you would have taken the 2 seconds to have written it. Don't write lazy and then get upset when people don't understand all your inferences. You are trying to argue with everyone so much that you can not focus on one post and as a result the quality is poor. Heck you couldn't even address anything I said in my last post, you just made a baby comment because you can't take the time to actually have a discussion with facts involved.

Second bold - here's the thing - there aren't many stretch 4s with the ability to hit 3s like Frye. I think that is what you are missing here. You make it like these guys grow on trees and Harris is going to become one. And then you further simplify the game into your own little sandbox by saying with an improved three he's already better than Frye. This disregards so many other parts of the game like defense, reading the pick and roll, making the 3 point short before the break ( go ahead and look up Frye's % there. And then go ahead and tell us how Harris is just going to magically start knocking those down. Hint - It's not easy. It's not a corner 3), reading the switch on D..I could go on forever but that statement there should show everyone how little you actually understand about the NBA and are simply relying on your own anecdotal opinion to form a negative view about a GM who knows 1 million times more about the game then you ever will.

Final point -The Hayward deal. Yeah, this is not a major overpaying free agent market this year right? Should make the Frye deal make a lot more sense to most people now.