Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

NBA Draft Grades - Positive (Ford and Others)

Please post all positive reviews you're reading or watching from the media about the Magic's draft here.

ESPN TV:

The guys on ESPN (Jalen and Bill Simmons, etc) just said the Magic quietly had a great draft and got two potential gems.

NBA TV… Steve Smith on Gordon:

I love this pick by the Orlando Magic

CHAD FORD:

ORLANDO MAGIC | GRADE: A-

Round 1: Aaron Gordon (4), Elfrid Payton (10)

Round 2: Roy Devyn Marble (56)

Analysis: Well, I guess we know what Rob Hennigan likes. For the second year in a row the Magic GM drafted super-athletic, defensive-minded players. Adding Gordon and Payton with Victor Oladipo gives the Magic three versatile defenders who can lock up anyone. I love the potential of both players added on Thursday.

If Gordon ever develops a jump shot he could be a superstar. Ditto for Payton. They do just about everything else well (though they both could get stronger). But where is the offense coming from? With Arron Afflalo gone and Jameer Nelson likely to be bought out, the Magic are left with Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic as their primary options. Though the Magic don't have to have everything figured out right now.

I personally think Dante Exum was a better choice at 4. But getting Payton, my sleeper in the draft, at 10 lessens my objection. Marble is a no-nonsense forward who does everything well and nothing great. Sort of like their second rounder last year.

http://insider.espn....ades-every-team

Guess we made the "honor roll."

USA TODAY:

TEAMS THAT WON: ORLANDO MAGIC

Really liked what the Magic did, taking forward Aaron Gordon fourth and acquiring point guard Elfrid Payton. Gordon is smart and committed to both ends of the floor, and Payton fills a need at point guard. He's a small-school player with big-time potential. The Magic are putting together a nice team. Now, it needs to translate to results.

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2014/06/27/nba-draft-winners-and-losers/11555141/

Outside of Pelton I have seen very little negative on our draft.

Exactly! Most of what I found reflects everyones inability to figure out what Henny's thinking is! To include their inability to find something to criticize, after his decision is made!

Enjoying the reading here guy's!

SPORTING NEWS:

Orlando Magic — B

Power forward Aaron Gordon has “upside” written all over him, which, as tattoos go, looks as strange as it sounds. Orlando needed a point guard, and the assumption was that they would take Marcus Smart or Dante Exum. But you know what they say about assumptions: You should not make them. The Magic were able to swing a deal for Elfrid Payton, considered by some to be better, at least, than Smart, if not Exum. Orlando still has much to figure out on a crowded roster, but they have potential.

http://www.sportingn...s-smart-celtics

We made the "honor roll" again! Lol!!!

The Sporting News California posted this:

Which team came out best in the Draft?

Griffin: Orlando. I elicited the help of draft wunderkind Phil Boileau (@SportingPhil) on this one. The Magic picked up two starters who fill immediate roster needs. No one else did that. Aaron Gordon is a monster talent with athleticism, versatility, and an NBA frame. He'll figure out the league quick. Likewise, Elfrid Payton looks like a steal at #10. Small school, great hair, big heart. And he's really driven. ...Phoenix made my sneaky favorite pick of the draft taking Tyler Ennis at #18. He's a perfect fit for their system. And for Ennis to learn from Goran Dragic who learned from Steve Nash, that's pretty damn fitting.

Strickland: With obvious, easy bake nods to Cleveland and Milwaukee, as well as a dark horse pick in Phoenix, the Orlando Magic got a bigger, stronger, faster more athletic Shawn Marion in Aaron Gordon at #4 and a serious sleeper in Elfrid Payton to help Victor Olidipo harass NBA backcourts. Whether Duane Watson's buddy Jacque Vaughn is the man to lead them to great heights may be in question. But there are some serious pieces in the Magic Kingdom again, including the monster double-double machine Nikola Vuvevic. Orlando could make a 2013-2014 Washington Wizards-leap toward respectability next season.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=455883

Grantland - Link

WINNERS

The Magic. There were times last year when the Magic looked like a team full of players who would be great as sixth or seventh men, but were somehow playing 40 minutes a game. So Orlando bottomed out again, hit the top of the draft, and walked away without anyone who could ever be a superstar.

On the other hand … Elfrid Payton and Aaron Gordon are both pretty great. Gordon is a forward chiseled out of stone and shot out of a rocket. He will harass people on defense and on the glass for his entire career. Payton was one of the best point guards on the board, and he’ll allow Victor Oladipo to move to the 2. He’s also got the best hair of anyone in the draft.