Sign in to follow this  
God Hates Otis Smith

With the east in flux, how far away is Orlando?

The turn this thread has taken has blown my mind. Someone actually had a debate (albeit with themselves) on whether Kobe Bryant is/was a superstar...

What the holy hell is your definition of superstar when one can be a "HOF" player and not be a superstar?

I mean, ESPN is saying Chris Bosh is a HOFer but nobody would ever call him a superstar.

My point is that I'm not ready to aboard the high school hype train again so soon.

Wiggins was projected to be the first pick, the only way he isn't the first pick is if Cleveland does something stupid. Therefore, the high school train worked out.

Maybe I'm biased because I watched with my own eyes in person Okafor drop 30/20 at City of Palms (and something like 6 assists to boot), but I REALLY want him here.

Okafor is a terrific prospect, if I had to give him an NBA comparison without comparing him to any HOFer or future HOFer I'd say somebody like Al Jefferson (a big guy who's not the most athletic but who can really dominate in the post) but he certainly has the potential to be much more than that.

I'm hoping we get some of that Cleveland luck next year and finish later in the lotto but end up with the #1 pick.

Okafor is a terrific prospect, if I had to give him an NBA comparison without comparing him to any HOFer or future HOFer I'd say somebody like Al Jefferson (a big guy who's not the most athletic but who can really dominate in the post) but he certainly has the potential to be much more than that.

I'm hoping we get some of that Cleveland luck next year and finish later in the lotto but end up with the #1 pick.

Al Jefferson's a future HOF'er? Hmmm

Wiggins was projected to be the first pick, the only way he isn't the first pick is if Cleveland does something stupid. Therefore, the high school train worked out.

Maybe I'm biased because I watched with my own eyes in person Okafor drop 30/20 at City of Palms (and something like 6 assists to boot), but I REALLY want him here.

Oh come on. Wiggins has not lived up to the hype he got coming out of high school. It definitely did not work.

Please don't take the comment so personally. It was more a comment about how things change.

Oh come on. Wiggins has not lived up to the hype he got coming out of high school. It definitely did not work.

Please don't take the comment so personally. It was more a comment about how things change.

A lot of that can be attributed to Bill Self being terrible at developing pros. I got hammered on this board last year because I said I didn't trust Ben McLemore for that reason (and I turned out to be right). Wiggins you could argue is good enough to overcome one year with Bill Self.

And I didn't take your comment personally, I just disagree with you in the case of Wiggins.

I don't consider Thomas or Drexler as one of the top 3 at their position all-time, that isn't to say they weren't very good or even great players, just not the greatest of the great. I grew up in New England, and was a huge fan of the 70's-80's Celtics, and I think the frontcourt of Bird/McHale/Parrish was one of the greatest frontcourts of all time, especially in '86 when you throw in Walton backing up both the PF/C; I consider McHale as one of the best PF of his generation, but I would still class him as a star, not a superstar. To me, you really have to stand head and shoulders above the rest for at least 4-5 years to be considered a superstar. I will be the first to admit that Isiah suffers a bit because I really hated those Detroit teams, but can't you name at least three PG you would put above him all time? The only position I might go more than 5 or 6 deep classifying players as superstars might be Center.

Who would you replace with Isiah?

Magic Johnson - 5 titles, re-defined the position

Jerry West - The Logo

Oscar Roberston - only player to average a triple double for a full season

This is seriously insane. By your view, there's only been 3 superstar point guards in league history? Seriously? Lets ignore for a second that Jerry West is typically considered a shooting guard, we will keep him on your list for argument sake. That still leave the majority of 2 decades of basketball unaccounted for in terms of a "superstar" pg.

John Stockton

Gary Payton

Jason Kidd

Chris Paul

Steve Nash

You are seriously saying that these guys aren't superstar players? Nash won the MVP award twice. Stockton led the league in assists for 9 straight seasons. Payton was the best pg of the 90s. And how does this work for point guards coming up? If you consider the Big O to be a superstar (and he absolutely was) then what happens when a truly transcendent point guard makes his way into the league? Does Robertson get his superstar status revoked? Who was the odd man out in the small forward category when Lebron came into the league?

Your thinking on this subject is seriously jacked up.

This is seriously insane. By your view, there's only been 3 superstar point guards in league history? Seriously? Lets ignore for a second that Jerry West is typically considered a shooting guard, we will keep him on your list for argument sake. That still leave the majority of 2 decades of basketball unaccounted for in terms of a "superstar" pg.

John Stockton

Gary Payton

Jason Kidd

Chris Paul

Steve Nash

You are seriously saying that these guys aren't superstar players? Nash won the MVP award twice. Stockton led the league in assists for 9 straight seasons. Payton was the best pg of the 90s. And how does this work for point guards coming up? If you consider the Big O to be a superstar (and he absolutely was) then what happens when a truly transcendent point guard makes his way into the league? Does Robertson get his superstar status revoked? Who was the odd man out in the small forward category when Lebron came into the league?

Your thinking on this subject is seriously jacked up.

Any credibility that this poster hoped to achieve is all but gone, add him to the list of posters who have absolutely trash opinions to the point that there is actually no conversation or argument worth wild. He is basically nearly implying that the NBA should review players who make it into the Hall of Fame and could be ousted if a better player comes around.