Sign in to follow this  
God Hates Otis Smith

With the east in flux, how far away is Orlando?

It's a waste of time to debate this until the roster is set.

As of now, going by the draft strategies that are suspected, the Magic are a year away from playoff contention. But FA has yet to happen, and the draft has yet to happen, so lets see.

Also, the Magic need to win ~15 more games to be an 8th seed. Not an easy leap.

Out of curiosity what implemented/suspected strategy you speak of indicates we are a year off from playoff contention? I happen to agree the east will be more competitive in the coming years with CLT becoming a serious threat and WAS and CLE hopefully becoming more consistent. TOR is a question but regardless I don't see much reason why there shouldn't be a 15 game improvement from us considering there were at least 15 games this year we should have won but clearly tanked. If we don't improve significantly then there is something wrong with our prospects.

What mid-level FAs do you think we go after to help us? I'm not impressed with the crop this year. Gotta think that anyone we sign will have to allow our players to continue their development, while fitting in.

I think our "timeline" also hinges on what we do with Jameer/Afflalo this year. If they're still on the team, I think we make the playoffs next year. If they're gone, that means we have a very young squad, and I don't think we make the playoffs (unless Vic & Tobias play like superstars, and our #4 kills it in his first year).

I think we keep Nelson/Afflalo this year, though maybe see if we can extend/rework Meer from his current 1 year @$8M out to a 3 year/$11M deal (5/3.5/2.5 declining). I am not sure if that is a possibility with the new contract rules. If so,then he mentor our younger guys, we free up cap space and he plays out his career/retires from the Magic. We release/trade Lamb and Nicholson for future picks if possible. Re-sign Moore as cheap as possible. Waive/release Price.

#4 Exum

#12 Payne

Free Agents Luol Deng @ $10 - 11M per year, 4 year deal (Deng is what I would call a high-mid)

Ed Davis @ $3.5M per year, 3 year deal (this might be a bit high, but he's a RFA, so Memphis might match less)(include Nicholson in a S&T?)

Oladipo/Nelson

Afflalo/Exum/Moore

Deng/Harris/Harkless

O'Quinn/Davis/Payne

Vucevic/Dedmon/Maxiel

I am listing Vic as the starting PG with Afflalo, since I would like to see us work Exum in, just like we did Vic last year; having Nelson as the veteran to step in if needed, Moore as fairly cheap insurance/backup. My primary rotation would be three guards - Exum, Oladipo and Afflalo. Maybe trading AA near the deadline depending on how Vic/Exum are managing.

Bringing Deng in gives one more weapon to reduce the defensive concentrating on AA and Vucevic. He is a veteran who gives you a bit of everything and improves your wing defense. I think Vic/AA/Deng is a tough defense on the outside, helping to protect Vuc inside.

Davis is a good shot-blocking, defensive minded PF, and Payne is a bit of a stretch-4. You keep Maxiel to continue to mentor the younger guys. Davis/Vuc/O'Quinn should all continue to improve, and hopefully Payne can add that extra dimension. You could possibly play him at the 5, Harris at the 4. It would open up the middle for your cutters.

I think this gives you a well-rounded team that can continue to grow, can make the first or second round of the playoffs as a 5-6 seed, and with Afflalo's contract coming off either next summer or 2016, you still have some cap space to go after another prime FA. Or you might trade AA midseason

I'm not opposed to sucking another year, I really want Okafor. Especially if we get Exum.

I would also be fine, but only if we are losing tight games and being really overcautious with resting 'injured' players. I would take Saric at 12th as he probably would not play this year.

I think we keep Nelson/Afflalo this year, though maybe see if we can extend/rework Meer from his current 1 year @$8M out to a 3 year/$11M deal (5/3.5/2.5 declining). I am not sure if that is a possibility with the new contract rules. If so,then he mentor our younger guys, we free up cap space and he plays out his career/retires from the Magic. We release/trade Lamb and Nicholson for future picks if possible. Re-sign Moore as cheap as possible. Waive/release Price.

#4 Exum

#12 Payne

Free Agents Luol Deng @ $10 - 11M per year, 4 year deal (Deng is what I would call a high-mid)

Ed Davis @ $3.5M per year, 3 year deal (this might be a bit high, but he's a RFA, so Memphis might match less)(include Nicholson in a S&T?)

Oladipo/Nelson

Afflalo/Exum/Moore

Deng/Harris/Harkless

O'Quinn/Davis/Payne

Vucevic/Dedmon/Maxiel

I am listing Vic as the starting PG with Afflalo, since I would like to see us work Exum in, just like we did Vic last year; having Nelson as the veteran to step in if needed, Moore as fairly cheap insurance/backup. My primary rotation would be three guards - Exum, Oladipo and Afflalo. Maybe trading AA near the deadline depending on how Vic/Exum are managing.

Bringing Deng in gives one more weapon to reduce the defensive concentrating on AA and Vucevic. He is a veteran who gives you a bit of everything and improves your wing defense. I think Vic/AA/Deng is a tough defense on the outside, helping to protect Vuc inside.

Davis is a good shot-blocking, defensive minded PF, and Payne is a bit of a stretch-4. You keep Maxiel to continue to mentor the younger guys. Davis/Vuc/O'Quinn should all continue to improve, and hopefully Payne can add that extra dimension. You could possibly play him at the 5, Harris at the 4. It would open up the middle for your cutters.

I think this gives you a well-rounded team that can continue to grow, can make the first or second round of the playoffs as a 5-6 seed, and with Afflalo's contract coming off either next summer or 2016, you still have some cap space to go after another prime FA. Or you might trade AA midseason

that team is the definition of mediocrity, and why are we using the 12th pick on a 3rd stringer?

Out of curiosity what implemented/suspected strategy you speak of indicates we are a year off from playoff contention? I happen to agree the east will be more competitive in the coming years with CLT becoming a serious threat and WAS and CLE hopefully becoming more consistent. TOR is a question but regardless I don't see much reason why there shouldn't be a 15 game improvement from us considering there were at least 15 games this year we should have won but clearly tanked. If we don't improve significantly then there is something wrong with our prospects.

15 games is a very large leap in wins with such a young team. Not impossible, but with the guys we have now plus 2 rookies, I don't see it happening.

Add to the fact that I do not expect the Magic to spend much in free agency, and it will be tough to project an increase of 15 wins unless one of our draft picks is a superstar.

15 games is a very large leap in wins with such a young team. Not impossible, but with the guys we have now plus 2 rookies, I don't see it happening.

Add to the fact that I do not expect the Magic to spend much in free agency, and it will be tough to project an increase of 15 wins unless one of our draft picks is a superstar.

True, although it happens just about every year. The question is whether we are one of the teams that pull it off.

True, although it happens just about every year. The question is whether we are one of the teams that pull it off.

I prefer to expect less and appreciate more. Makes being a fan much easier.

The good news is the team should be a perennial playoff team by 2015 and will be built to compete for 10-15 years at a time.

that team is the definition of mediocrity, and why are we using the 12th pick on a 3rd stringer?

I think you are wrong about mediocrity, that team actually reminds me a bit of the Pistons back in '89 and '90, no real "superstars", but a lot of guys who can consistently give you 12-15 ppg, and a number of them capable of breaking out for 30 on any given night. As for third-stringer, I look at Payne as an asset in training. There are 5 young bigs on that list, with only Maxiel having a claim to veteran status. The internal competition for playing time, and the different skill sets should lead to development for them and to options for us. Plus, you never know when a player might get injured, especially young guys without much history. It is serious action down in the paint on most nights. Besides, there isn't a huge history of first year starters being picked with #12.

That roster is nothing like the Pistons who had all stars all over their roster.

Luol Deng is expensive and not worth whatever he will make now. Signing Ed Davis and drafting Payne would not make any sense.

Oquinn is not going to be a starting PF here once the team is in playoff contention. His ideal role is as the backup PF/C.

That roster has no real shooting at all.

The NBA has changed a lot in 15 years- you need perimeter shooting, speed and athleticism. That roster would be lacking all 3 components.

No problem with Payne and adding Davis since we probably don't re-sign O'Quinn. I say we are three years away from contending, mainly because I think we are actually considerably better than what this years record indicates. By considerably I mean like 5-7 games better.