Sign in to follow this  
jmmagicfan

Kevin Love Sweepstakes

I'm not disagreeing necessarily with the 11M/year range, but you do realize how much money he makes for his employer every year right? Also, Allen Iverson wasn't a helluva rebounder and really didn't score that much more than Love, and was considerably more inefficient at doing so. Although he did will his team to the finals at least.

I'm not championing Love to the Magic by any means, but it's difficult to argue he wouldn't be a hell of an upgrade for us or the majority of teams for that matter. FA is more realistic than a trade though. I don't understand these superstar trades nowadays unless the star-trading wants to enter full rebuild mode, that doesn't happen usually. Usually teams want to retool, not rebuild. And giving up half your cupboard for a single player turns you into the Wolves, or Knicks...just doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

I'm not disagreeing necessarily with the 11M/year range, but you do realize how much money he makes for his employer every year right? Also, Allen Iverson wasn't a helluva rebounder and really didn't score that much more than Love, and was considerably more inefficient at doing so. Although he did will his team to the finals at least.

I'm not championing Love to the Magic by any means, but it's difficult to argue he wouldn't be a hell of an upgrade for us or the majority of teams for that matter. FA is more realistic than a trade though. I don't understand these superstar trades nowadays unless the star-trading wants to enter full rebuild mode, that doesn't happen usually. Usually teams want to retool, not rebuild. And giving up half your cupboard for a single player turns you into the Wolves, or Knicks...just doesn't make sense.

Amen!

You guys realize that Chris Bosh is considered a max player, right?

I LOL'd at that statement. God bless the team who decides to give him max money. I truly do hope it's the Heat.

I just don't see us being somewhere that Kevin Love would like to play. He wants to win, and he wants to play next to a superstar. Cleveland is his landing spot - period. Unless he cares about weather and no state income tax over immediate winning, he will choose Cleveland, and Minnesota will choose that deal because of the #1 overall pick.

I just don't see us being somewhere that Kevin Love would like to play. He wants to win, and he wants to play next to a superstar. Cleveland is his landing spot - period. Unless he cares about weather and no state income tax over immediate winning, he will choose Cleveland, and Minnesota will choose that deal because of the #1 overall pick.

So you think the California boy will choose Cleveland over LA or GS? I don't think so.

I do agree that he probably doesn't see us as a destination. Plus, we would probably have to give up a combination of talent and picks to them. I'd hate to lose some of our talented pieces, but as long as we could retain Oladipo and Vuc, then I suppose we could have the base of a good line up - ?, Oladipo, ?, Love, Vuc. The problem would be how we could fill in those holes, especially if we ended up sending one or both of our first round draft picks to them, plus any established talent like Nelson and Afflalo, or young pieces like Harkless, Harris and Nicholson.

That said, we could be an attractive landing spot if he cares about the weather, no state income tax, and the potential that the team has to contend if built around a good young core and a superstar. But we are probably not going to be in the sweepstakes.

So you think the California boy will choose Cleveland over LA or GS? I don't think so.

Does he have a choice if he's traded to Cleveland? Not really. It isn't like Kevin Garnett who had a no-trade clause in his contract. So essentially Love can't veto the trade. He can make his intentions clear that he will not sign a new contract with whatever team he is traded to, but Cleveland might not be as bad a landing spot as you might think. They already have Kyrie Irving who is a two time all star point guard, and they do have some talent on their roster, not on a Golden State scale, but they have enough to build around.

The other tempting hypothetical scenario that could tempt Love to consider signing a deal with the Cavs is LeBron James. Now granted LeBron might not opt out of his contract, and even if he does, he might not want to go back to Cleveland. However, if he did opt out and return to Cleveland, imagine the potential that the trio of Kyrie, LeBron and Love would have. With the right supporting cast, the Cavs could be a play off team or a serious contender in the east.

Now I don't think either situation will happen. He will want to go to a contender with the talent already on the roster, like a Chicago or Golden State. It will be interesting to see which team he ends up on.

I LOL'd at that statement. God bless the team who decides to give him max money. I truly do hope it's the Heat.

That, um...that was the point.

I do agree that he probably doesn't see us as a destination. Plus, we would probably have to give up a combination of talent and picks to them. I'd hate to lose some of our talented pieces, but as long as we could retain Oladipo and Vuc, then I suppose we could have the base of a good line up - ?, Oladipo, ?, Love, Vuc. The problem would be how we could fill in those holes, especially if we ended up sending one or both of our first round draft picks to them, plus any established talent like Nelson and Afflalo, or young pieces like Harkless, Harris and Nicholson.

That said, we could be an attractive landing spot if he cares about the weather, no state income tax, and the potential that the team has to contend if built around a good young core and a superstar. But we are probably not going to be in the sweepstakes.

Does he have a choice if he's traded to Cleveland? Not really. It isn't like Kevin Garnett who had a no-trade clause in his contract. So essentially Love can't veto the trade. He can make his intentions clear that he will not sign a new contract with whatever team he is traded to, but Cleveland might not be as bad a landing spot as you might think. They already have Kyrie Irving who is a two time all star point guard, and they do have some talent on their roster, not on a Golden State scale, but they have enough to build around.

The other tempting hypothetical scenario that could tempt Love to consider signing a deal with the Cavs is LeBron James. Now granted LeBron might not opt out of his contract, and even if he does, he might not want to go back to Cleveland. However, if he did opt out and return to Cleveland, imagine the potential that the trio of Kyrie, LeBron and Love would have. With the right supporting cast, the Cavs could be a play off team or a serious contender in the east.

Now I don't think either situation will happen. He will want to go to a contender with the talent already on the roster, like a Chicago or Golden State. It will be interesting to see which team he ends up on.

He doesn't need a trade clause to kill a potential deal. Remember Dwight Howard? All he has to say is I will only sign long-term in LA or GS and Cleveland would have to pass. There's no way he has any interest playing in Cleveland unless Lebron returns, but that would be after the draft.

Kevin Love has officially told Minnesota he will not renew. Let the bidding begin, assuming that assurances are obtained that he would re-sign.

Aaron Afflalo

Jason Maxiel

#12 this year

next year's 1st round (top 3 protected)

Gives Minny a borderline all-star, a lottery pick this year, a late first rounder next and potential cap relief (Maxiel released prior to 7/25?) - corrrection 7/13 on Maxiel

Enough? Too much? Not enough?

Ah man, i missed this places awful trade proposals, in which orlando completely rips off another team.

i'm sure teams are frothing at the mouth to get jason maxiel

Ah man, i missed this places awful trade proposals, in which orlando completely rips off another team.

i'm sure teams are frothing at the mouth to get jason maxiel

I only included Maxiel to make the numbers work, plus, he isn't guaranteed until the middle of June, so they could waive him after the trade and save his salary. Afflalo, #12, and next year's first (top 3 protected) is the trade value.

Also, the whole point of the thread was, is that enough, is it too much, what would you be willing to give and why? Maybe next time you could actually read what the thread is about? If you don't think that is enough, then propose what you think would be. In my opinion, that is about all I would be willing to give. I might include Nicholson, but then I might increase the protection on next year's first to lottery-protected. It is about giving something to get something, and if the price is right, then "come on down".