Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

For all you whiners about the draft lottery

My Link

The draft lottery has its faults, but this alternative is not the solution. I can see why the NBA would like this idea: The overall product would most likely improve. But it doesn't address the superstar issue. And what if we are the team that has to wait half a decade (or longer) for a top 5 pick? I can imagine a bunch of teams being mediocre for that time period.

My Link

The draft lottery has its faults, but this alternative is not the solution. I can see why the NBA would like this idea: The overall product would most likely improve. But it doesn't address the superstar issue. And what if we are the team that has to wait half a decade (or longer) for a top 5 pick? I can imagine a bunch of teams being mediocre for that time period.

Yup. Terrible for teams who don't have superstars locked up. Beneficial to teams who are contenders long term. This would result in 3 or 4 dominant teams and several teams with fans that check out for 5 years with no hope short term.

I'm all for de-incentivizing tanking and not rewarding poor team management but this isn't the right way. How about adjusting lotto odds for teams that are repeat lotto teams. Cleveland shouldn't continuously be rewarded with another top 5 pick when they've selected in the top 5 four times in the last 3 years. To have 4 top 5 picks in three years and have another losing season is ridiculous.

Do you think it bothers Cleveland that they could be playing with this lineup:

Jonas valenciunas

?

Harrison Barnes

Oladipo

Kyrie

Or

Drummond

Thompson

?

Oladipo

Kyrie

Yeah, the wheel is horrendous. So many problems, not the least of which is the fact that potential #1 picks could just stay in school until it is time for a good team to get the top pick. Oh, the Bucks pick first this year? I think I'll come back next year so I can get drafted by the Pacers.

They need to just eliminate the lottery and have the worst team pick first and go in order from there.

that would encourage tanking, the opposite idea of what this proposal is trying to accomplish. I can just imagine a handful of teams gutting their rosters every trade deadline for a chance at the top pick.

Three issues I see with this proposal.

1) Upcoming, known draft picks could influence free agent signings.

2) This doesn't address the built in biased that favors certain big markets, so what it does it hurt smaller markets and make things easier for big markets that already have an easier time attracting free agents.

3) Makes it more difficult for a "budget" team to recover from bad management, bad draft pics, or simple bad luck.

Yeah, this is why I don't mind the lottery too much. I know the NBA would do something worse.

Although I've realized through playing keeper leagues that the lottery doesn't deflect the desire to tank if you're going to be semi-bad anyway.

At all.

Yup. Terrible for teams who don't have superstars locked up. Beneficial to teams who are contenders long term. This would result in 3 or 4 dominant teams and several teams with fans that check out for 5 years with no hope short term.

I'm all for de-incentivizing tanking and not rewarding poor team management but this isn't the right way. How about adjusting lotto odds for teams that are repeat lotto teams. Cleveland shouldn't continuously be rewarded with another top 5 pick when they've selected in the top 5 four times in the last 3 years. To have 4 top 5 picks in three years and have another losing season is ridiculous.

I think you have hit the nail on the head better than anything else I have heard of. Adjustment of odds would not completely address tanking, but would no doubt improve competition. Also it would probably make team decision making (GM etc) more liable for terrible continual team performance. I am always all for anything that would improve competition and ween out those people (Otis) that can not manage a roster at all.

You can get rid of tanking with the wheel where all 14 teams that missed the playoffs have an equal chance at the 1st - 3rd picks. That may rid the league of tanking. They can even spin the wheel on live TV.