Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Our Best Asset

Someone posted a quote from Chad Ford during one of his chats in the trade thread in which he suggested the Magic trade Afflalo and Tobias Harris for Greg Monroe and Rodney Stuckey. I have a hard time taking anyone seriously when they suggest the Magic should have traded for Bledsoe when they immediately follow up that idea with this awful trade scenario.

Here's a summary of why I'm optimistic about Henny:

Rob Hennigan's rebuilding project in Orlando is unlikely to yield on-court dividends this season -- which is probably a good thing, considering the talent in next year's draft -- but it's ahead of schedule. Barely a year after trading Dwight Howard, the Magic have amassed young talent at virtually every position with more on the way along with cap flexibility.Orlando's future frontcourt may already be complete. Rookie Maurice Harkless and sophomoresTobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic started together after the trade deadline and combined to average 44.8 points and 26.6 rebounds per game. To that group, the Magic added No. 2 overall pick Victor Oladipo, whose work ethic and defensive mindset are an ideal fit for the culture Hennigan is trying to build.

The biggest question Orlando has to answer this season is whether Oladipo will settle in at shooting guard in place of incumbent Arron Afflalo or might be able to play the point, enhancing his versatility and value. Point guard is the one spot the Magic are lacking young talent, though help might be on the way in the 2014 draft in the form of Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart or Kentucky's Andrew Harrison.

When Orlando has its core complete, the team should have $15 million to spend in either the summer of 2014 or 2015 to add a veteran piece like when the Indiana Pacers signed David Westto complement their young talent.

-- Kevin Pelton

http://insider.espn....-4-130923/16-20

I too believe we have many assets, but I am not as convinced as others that the pieces we have are the answer we are looking for to get back to the top. If it weren't for upcoming potential cap space I would be more concerned about Hawks-level mediocrity from this group. I would like to see some moves, either get more cap space or a top prospect.

Hennigan came as close as a GM ever has to getting equal value when trading a superstar player.

Carmelo Anthony: Nuggets receive wilson chandler, danilo galinari, raymond felton, timofey mozgov, kosta koufos, 1st rd draft pick 2014, AND 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013

Deron williams: Jazz receive derrick favors, devin harris, and two 1st round draft picks (one unprotected)

Dwight: Magic receive arron afflalo, vuc, harkless, eyenga, harrington, and 3 protected 1st rd picks.

Considering how much better Dwight is then the other two (and how much they fetched for their teams respectively) we didn't get that good of a return.

-----------------------

Like I said earlier, unless Sterling was absolutely brain dead I think he would've done the trade for Afflalo. It sounds like, we didn't want to pay or get in the way of Oladipo or some other reason. We wouldn't be any better (maybe worse) with bledsoe minus afflalo.

Carmelo Anthony: Nuggets receive wilson chandler, danilo galinari, raymond felton, timofey mozgov, kosta koufos, 1st rd draft pick 2014, AND 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013

Deron williams: Jazz receive derrick favors, devin harris, and two 1st round draft picks (one unprotected)

Dwight: Magic receive arron afflalo, vuc, harkless, eyenga, harrington, and 3 protected 1st rd picks.

Considering how much better Dwight is then the other two (and how much they fetched for their teams respectively) we didn't get that good of a return.

Can someone object to this please? ...Guys? ...GUYS?!

Hennigan came as close as a GM ever has to getting equal value when trading a superstar player. Some hypothetical trade scenario that Chad Ford has created - without including all of the details, like whether the Clippers were asking for a draft pick or something - does little to change my opinion on the subject. Also, since the article is about effective tanking, it should be noted that everyone assumed that Phoenix was fully committed to tanking when the season began. The fact that they are overachieving makes for a fun story until you realize that they stand no shot of beating anyone in a playoff series AND they have the misfortune of being better than they should be prior to one of the most talented draft classes in years. Unless you believe that Bledsoe is the type of player that can be a difference maker in the playoffs, then Hennigan probably made the right move in waiting on moving Afflalo. I would NOT take Bledsoe over Jabari Parker.

Finally, I think we can all agree that Afflalo has done nothing but help his trade value over the past couple of months. I fail to see a mistake here.

I agree. Hennie has done a great job

-----------------------

Like I said earlier, unless Sterling was absolutely brain dead I think he would've done the trade for Afflalo. It sounds like, we didn't want to pay or get in the way of Oladipo or some other reason. We wouldn't be any better (maybe worse) with bledsoe minus afflalo.

I dont agree. We removed over 17mil in cap space. We brought in a top 5 sg averging 21pt/5ass/5rebs. We brought in a young and now highly valued center who is 3rd in the league in double doubles. We added harkless, plus 3 1st rounders that have not been used yet.

When you add all this and then way all the other options (Lakes) Byum straight up or (Nets) Lopez plus 3 first rounders. Huston giving Lamb and Jones; In addition taking back baby, chris d. and J. Rich. Our deal is the best. Remember, the other factor is the new CBA. Teams dont just give up 17mil in cap space. This is now a major asset to factor.

Dwight forced a trade and gave us limited options. He had a list of teams he would go to. Given all the factors, Hennie has done great.

I too believe we have many assets, but I am not as convinced as others that the pieces we have are the answer we are looking for to get back to the top. If it weren't for upcoming potential cap space I would be more concerned about Hawks-level mediocrity from this group. I would like to see some moves, either get more cap space or a top prospect.

Oh I agree that we have a ways ahead of us. However, I believe this team is being built via homegrown, young guns (versus free agent acquisitions) following the blueprint of the Spurs and Thunder. Thus, I think our young guns really need to get time to develop, and we need to draft very, very well. Like you, I'd love to somehow secure another top prospect.

(The reason the Hawks stayed mediocre was because they HUGELY missed in the draft by selecting people like Marvin Williams over Chris Paul).

-----------------------

The Nuggets received a bunch of roleplayers with limited to no upside and a very valuable draft pick. Not a bad return but not anywhere close to equal value. If the Knicks could make that trade today for the exact same pieces they would do so in a heartbeat. In hindsight, I bet the Nuggets hold out for a better deal.

The Jazz trade is closer to equal value primarily due to the fact that Favors still has some upside left. If he develops into a good big man then that trade ends up pretty good for them. As of now though, Deron Williams is better than Favors and a couple of picks.

The Magic received a 22 year old center that is averaging a double double, a shooting guard that is playing at an allstar level, a young player with some upside, shed Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon, and Earl Clarks salaries, and got 3 first round picks. To steal a line from Bill Simmons, if that package was offered to the Rockets today for Dwight Howard, they probably wouldn't trade Dwight but they would hold a 3 hour meeting to discuss it.

• Upvote 1

The Magic received a 22 year old center that is averaging a double double, a shooting guard that is playing at an allstar level, a young player with some upside, shed Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon, and Earl Clarks salaries, and got 3 first round picks. To steal a line from Bill Simmons, if that package was offered to the Rockets today for Dwight Howard, they probably wouldn't trade Dwight but they would hold a 3 hour meeting to discuss it.

Love it