Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Who says Parsons gets 14 million per year? Even if he did, we can only offer him a four year deal, make the 3rd and 4th year option years. That was easy.

Yeah its real easy if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Houston can match any offer they want since he is a RFA. So it's not that easy. They guarantee an extra year or two and move on. To get Parsons out of Houston you would need to offer him at least 12 million and a 3-4 year guaranteed deal. That's common knowledge if you just spend some time reading about this stuff instead of posting emotionally.

How can you mention Gordon's team option and still claim we'd be "locked in" to a four year deal with Parsons?

We could maintain every bit of flexibility with Parsons as we did with Gordon. Parsons is only going to get better, Gordon has shown all he'll ever show, and that was literally years ago.

What supply? Are you going Catman's route of pretending to know what the future holds? There's no guarantee future years will bring more free agents, all willing to play for less money.

What did I ever call Rob? How is Parsons a mediocre player?

If Parson's is only going to get better as you put it, why would he sign a contract that lets the team have the option to decline him? I personally can't think of someone who was on the upswing of their career, was thought of throughout the league as a solid player and they signed a deal where the team holds the option at the end of the contract. It is usually the player that holds an ETO. Which is why the Magic hold a termination option on Gordon's contract, he hasn't produced solid numbers in some time, downswing of his career, etc. etc.

How can you say Parsons is only going to get better and then a post later crap on Catman for pretending to know what the future holds? There is no guarantee that Parson's hasn't hit his ceiling.

What's going to reverse the trend where players start getting smaller contract offers? What if contracts for average to above average players keep going up? Chances are they probably will.

I just have to take issue when Ben Gordon was plan A in free agency, that just doesn't sit well with me. You don't ever have to overpay anyone, you can call them and make an offer you're comfortable with and if they take it, great. If not, at least you tried. Maybe Rob did do that, though if he did it probably would have leaked.

I would have rather the team kept Maxiell and Price. Bringing Gordon in has the feel of a franchise trying to dupe their fans into thinking they are giving a sincere effort. I said it before, if Otis made this type of move, or traded AA for a second year role player and a late second round pick, he'd get massacred on this forum and for good reason. I'm going to start referring to Rob as Obama, nothing he does seems to ever draw any criticism.

I have a feeling you really don't understand how to structure a team to be able to make moves going forward. Otis would have given Ben Gordon 4 years with the 3rd year being a team option. Trading AA is an identical move to when we traded JJ away. We will have to wait and see if the return is the same. The Gordon move is virtually risk free barring him blowing up in the locker room. At worst you cut him next year and at best he returns to form and we flip him to a contender for value. There really is no duping going on. There is absolutely no reason to throw max money at Bledsoe, Parsons, Stevenson, etc. when they aren't worth any of that. You don't strap yourself into contracts like that for 4 years if they aren't true franchise guys.

The Magic are in a great position moving forward. 3 top 10 draft picks over the past two years along with 2 guys added via trade that have already shown great value and we are trending upward. We can't forget that OKC was in the cellar for 3 years before they miraculously doubled their win total overnight in the West and started contending. Hennigen hasn't made a bad move yet. Dipo looks like a future star, Harris is already better than JJ, Vuc is a double double machine and Harkless is a solid bench guy. We also restricted those guys minutes last year so that we could win less. One more year with picking in the top 8 and we should be set up like OKC is to contend for 5-6 years. It's not like we have far to climb either, we are in the East.

Do you always state opinions as facts? You don't know at all that premium free agents would avoid coming here, so you should probably refrain from stating it as fact. Money talks, so does no state income tax, a new arena, and a nice area to bring a family. If star players won't come here because of our youth, why should fans be excited about it? Any player not coming here for that reason would obviously be afraid the young guys wouldn't develop, fans have the right to have the same concern.

It's 2014 and you're sitting there talking about 2016. Who cares about 2016? You have no clue whether any of those players will number one actually be free agents, or two want to come here if they are. In other words, you're preaching patience for something that might not ever exist.

I don't consider Parsons a star, I just consider him a very solid player. That's the kind of player you bring in, a young guy with a solid all around game. Instead we bring in Willie Green and Ben Gordon, that's absurd. I'd rather overpay for Parsons than overpay for Gordon, that seems like common sense, unfortunately Rob felt differently.

The point I'm making is that we're now in position to need each of our young guys to develop into quality NBA players. We have no other alternatives. If you don't think established players want to come here now, what do you think happens to our chances of landing them in the future if Rob whiffs on one or more lottery picks?

Hopefully everything works out and the players develop as we need them to, but we can't just assume they will because they are on our team.

Yes we should definately over pay just to get SOMETHING. It's always best just to get SOMETHING so that every retard on the Orlando Magic Message Board will be happy that we got SOMETHING, ANYTHING, JUST GET ME SOMEONE THAT I HAVE HEARD OF SO THAT WE SIGNED SOMEONE. Get something, do something, because it ALWAYS works out for the best when you sign or trade for someone just like it did when we picked up Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu.

Please drive straight to the nearest urologist and order a vasectomy on the double.

• Upvote 2

I have a feeling you really don't understand how to structure a team to be able to make moves going forward. Otis would have given Ben Gordon 4 years with the 3rd year being a team option. Trading AA is an identical move to when we traded JJ away. We will have to wait and see if the return is the same. The Gordon move is virtually risk free barring him blowing up in the locker room. At worst you cut him next year and at best he returns to form and we flip him to a contender for value. There really is no duping going on. There is absolutely no reason to throw max money at Bledsoe, Parsons, Stevenson, etc. when they aren't worth any of that. You don't strap yourself into contracts like that for 4 years if they aren't true franchise guys.

The Magic are in a great position moving forward. 3 top 10 draft picks over the past two years along with 2 guys added via trade that have already shown great value and we are trending upward. We can't forget that OKC was in the cellar for 3 years before they miraculously doubled their win total overnight in the West and started contending. Hennigen hasn't made a bad move yet. Dipo looks like a future star, Harris is already better than JJ, Vuc is a double double machine and Harkless is a solid bench guy. We also restricted those guys minutes last year so that we could win less. One more year with picking in the top 8 and we should be set up like OKC is to contend for 5-6 years. It's not like we have far to climb either, we are in the East.

Yes, yes, yes.

Thank you.

He's not a star player, yet. He's only 25, chances are he improves. We don't need him (or anyone) to turn into Durant. How is it compromising our cap space if Parsons becomes even better? He's already a damn good player, any improvement and he'd easily be worth 12m per year. Outside of Durant who is guaranteed to make this franchise better in 2015 or 2016? Not just better, but provide more than Parsons would provide.

There's no guarantee anyone you have your eye on for 2015 or beyond will become free agents or want to come here. There's also no guarantee they'll bring whatever it is you're convinced they'll bring.

Sure but there is past history. And past history has shown anyone who watches the NBA that free agents like large contracts and well built teams. Rob Hennigan does not get free private dances at Rachels for every mm that we are under the cap. He is building the team this way for a reason that is pretty obvious if you have a clue about how the process works.

Again - what you are saying is we bet that Parsons is the star we need to move forward, but at the EXACT SAME TIME you are saying that the current players we have may not work out, even though you have not even seen them play yet.

Do you realize how stupid that is?

Sure but there is past history. And past history has shown anyone who watches the NBA that free agents like large contracts and well built teams. Rob Hennigan does not get free private dances at Rachels for every mm that we are under the cap. He is building the team this way for a reason that is pretty obvious if you have a clue about how the process works.

Again - what you are saying is we bet that Parsons is the star we need to move forward, but at the EXACT SAME TIME you are saying that the current players we have may not work out, even though you have not even seen them play yet.

Do you realize how stupid that is?

No no no Cat, you are dead wrong! You should always burn up every penny of cap space so that when you have a chance at an actual difference maker you won't have the cap space to pursue them. Yes, then and only then can the masses be happy that they get to piss and moan about how their GM mismanaged money and we don't have a chance to improve. It's better to spend spend spend and become the Atlanta Hawks or Brooklyn Nets and enjoy the thrill that is a perinneal first round exit!!! I feel like I am losing my mind here.

Except that's irrelevant to what I actually said. I was asked how we could maintain flexibility with Parsons, that was the obvious, and easy answer. It's always amusing when someone says "you don't know what you're talking about", and then proceed to not know what they're talking about.

By your logic then pandas can fly as well because your example you gave to sign Parsons is not grounded in reality at all. It is so off base and so ignorant to the process of free agency that you are embarrassing yourself.

Parsons is a RFA. He is not going to take a 2 year guaranteed deal when the other team can just offer 3.

How can you not understand that?

Right, because Parsons is just "something". If you don't like him as a player, that's fine. I feel differently. If you want to reduce my argument to just wanting a "name player" (which Parsons is not) so that I can watch my team spend money, fine. It's not reality, but something tells me you don't care much for reality.

Is Parson's going to do anything other than give us a small bump in wins? Is he worth chewing up cap space that could be used on someone that would push us into contention? Answer that for me please.

We're set up to need every single one of our draft picks to work out. That's what we're set up for. Future free agents that we sign are only going to be worth it if our current guys develop the way we need them to.

OKC got Durant, end of story. The comparisons with that franchise need to end, I don't care where Rob came from. Take Durant away from that team and literally nobody is talking about them. Do you see a Durant on this team? I don't. I think Oladipo is going to be very good, but I don't see him coming anywhere near Durant.

Also, I have a feeling you also don't know how to structure a team going forward, otherwise you would be working as a GM. Did you chose your current occupation over being an NBA GM because you felt it would be too easy? Spare me.

"True franchise guys" are extremely rare, I love how everyone is so convinced future FA classes are full of them.

I love when people make statements that can just as easily be used against them. Bravo.