Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Id prefer 4 years for 50 than 5 for 55, we only get 1 5 year extension (as I understand it) and I don't think Vuc is good enough to warrant it.

Id prefer 4 years for 50 than 5 for 55, we only get 1 5 year extension (as I understand it) and I don't think Vuc is good enough to warrant it.

I reckon you use the 5 year as soon as possible to allow another one to be available as soon as possible. If we want Vucevic to stay here then why not lock him up for 4 years? Yes it might me down the road we only can sign Oladipo to a 4 year extension but that is still as many years as he can get become a FA anyway. If Oladipo and Vucevic were heading into FA at the same time it would be a different story, but there is two seasons between them. Do we hold onto this for two whole season before using it? does that mean we are over 7 seasons away from having another 5 year extension offer to give over only 5 years away?

So now, Gordon is on to a new role. A new phase of his career. Maybe the last legs of his career.

Gordon seemed to realize that when he came through Orlando earlier in the summer. He worked out for Orlando and received a vote of confidence from Magic front office guys who had previously worked with him — Scott Perry and Matt Lloyd. They vouched for him and Rob Hennigan went for it in a high-priced, but low-risk acquisition for the veteran shooting guard.

Rob Hennigan said in their meetings with Gordon, Gordon made it clear he wants to re-establish himself and that he feels he can fit into this franchise and what it wants to accomplish this year.

“It has been tough knowing you can contribute more or do more out there on the court and not seeing that actually materialize,” Gordon said. “But being around for 10 years, the league is always about being in a system where you can flourish. I think the opportunity here, from what I’ve been talking with Coach [Jacque] Vaughn about and some of the other executives, the way we are going to play, I think this is a good opportunity for me to flourish and help the team be successful.”

Gordon certainly will be looked on as a veteran leader. He said the coaching staff told him they want him to provide that and be a shooter as well — something that has suddenly tapered off in recent years for Gordon. Orlando was in desperate need of offense and that is what Gordon has always done in his career.

http://network.yardb...gordon/17091023

Article on Ridnour

Ever since the Magic began this rebuild, and maybe even before that into the 2010 season when the Magic were fighting for a title, the question of who the Magic’s point guard would be hung over the franchise.

Some may have been left over spite from fans who felt Jameer Nelson came back too soon during the 2009 Finals (Rafer Alston‘s pass-first mentality WAS refreshing even if Nelson was significantly better that season). A storyline during the Magic’s fall from grace after the 2010 season was the team’s failure to acquire Chris Paul — both signalling perhaps Otis Smith‘s shortsightedness in failing to make an upgrade at point guard and the questions that surrounded Nelson from the time he was even drafted.

So Jameer Nelson is gone now. The Magic knew at some point during this rebuild, they would need to part with their starter of nearly a decade at that position (a real accomplishment if you think about it, having at least an average NBA starting point guard for nearly a decade) and find a new player to fill that role.

http://network.yardb...idnour/17170433

Zoran Dragic In Talks With Heat, Spurs, Mavericks, Magic

Sep 09, 2014 5:23 PM EDT

Behind a resurgent desire to pursue the NBA culminating in a successful World Cup showing, Slovenian shooting guard Zoran Dragic has maintained discussions with the four teams interested in signing him for next season: the Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks and Orlando Magic, league sources told RealGM.

Dragic, the younger brother of Goran Dragic, had 11 points and five rebounds in 28 minutes against the United States national team on Tuesday. He has informed teams of an Oct. 5 buyout deadline in the language of his contract with Unicaja Malaga of the European League, a source told RealGM.

Dragic, a 6-foot-5 product, has received NBA interest in past summers, and he played for the Houston Rockets’ summer league team in 2012. Several NBA organizations have scouted him throughout the World Cup, sources said, and several new inquiries are placed per day.

In his second year with BC Malaga last season, Dragic, 25, averaged 10.6 points and 2.8 rebounds over 50 games.

In don't know anything about him except for what I just posted in the article, however if those teams want him then I want him lol.

For the past 2 seasons, Zoran has been teammates with former dreaded Magic draft pick Fran Vazquez at Unicaja Malaga where they’ve faced Euroleague competition.

When Rob Hennigan went to Spain earlier this year to watch Fran Vazquez play and to interact with the center and his agent (and to rule out Fran ever playing for the Magic), Orlando’s GM got a clear look at Zoran as well. His defense, fast break style, and perimeter arsenal all fit into what Jacque Vaughn wants this team to do moving forward. Considering the buyout, for Orlando to nab Zoran they need to offer him more than just a training camp invite. Do the Magic waive Dedmon, deal another Magic player, or do one of the other teams in the running snag him? Orlando would be low on big men if they get rid of Dewayne. Zoran can definitely contribute off an NBA bench, I just don’t believe it will be this one.

http://network.yardb...dragic/17244761