Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Don't understand how Hayward and Parsons were both max deal worthy, yet Eric Bledsoe, the best RFA this year in my opinion, gets a low ball 4 year 48 mill offer from the Suns and hasn't signed a max offer sheet yet.

He's coming off a knee injury so maybe that's a concern?

Don't understand how Hayward and Parsons were both max deal worthy, yet Eric Bledsoe, the best RFA this year in my opinion, gets a low ball 4 year 48 mill offer from the Suns and hasn't signed a max offer sheet yet.

That's more than fair for Bledsoe

Not in this market where role players are signing max offer sheets.

I say he deserves a Parsons type deal. I think what hurts Bledsoe is his injury history where players like Parsons and Hayward have been relatively healthy.

Couple of things to consider:

1. Can any remaining team offer him a max deal, or significantly more than they have offered?

- The 76ers have the most but seem set on tanking again, plus they have Carter-Williams.

- We apparently have about $11 m in cap space left. More space can be made via renouncing the cap hold on Richardson and Vasquez, Moore can be released, and if Harrington signs elsewhere his cap hit can be reduced. Then there is the possibility of sign-and-trade. So we could probably muster a bigger offer than the Suns, but would/should we do it?

- The Bucks have around $11 m in space. If they decided to trade Sanders, which has been mooted, they could clear more than enough cap to for a max. Or they could offer a sign-and-trade if they wanted. But with Brandon Knight, do they want to put a max deal on the table for Bledsoe?

- The Rockets have around $11 m in cap space if they waive the ungaranteed deals of Gee, Hopson and Powell. They do need a PG, and Bledsoe and Harden would be a dynamic partnership. But some deal would need to be made.

- The Bulls have $11 m in cap space, but let's face it, with Rose they aren't going to make a move.

- The Hawks have nearly $11 m in cap space if they renounce Ayon, Brand and Martin. The issue is they have Jeff Teague counting $8 m against the cap. Can they find a taker for him to make room for Bledsoe, or would a sign-and-trade include him?

Overall there aren't any teams (bar the tanking 76ers), with enough cap space to offer more than $12 million a season. I might have misunderstood the cap, so maybe a team could offer more.

2. Do they really want to pay out a max contract if they don't need to pay a max contract?

Basically if they can get him cheaper, then that is good for them. He might want a max deal, but if no one can offer him one, and the Suns don't want to pay one out, they could get him for less. That said, Bledsoe is a talented kid and can be a centrepiece for them going forwards. So I don't see them letting him go, so they will probably up that offer.

Couple of things to consider:

1. Can any remaining team offer him a max deal, or significantly more than they have offered?

- The 76ers have the most but seem set on tanking again, plus they have Carter-Williams.

- We apparently have about $11 m in cap space left. More space can be made via renouncing the cap hold on Richardson and Vasquez, Moore can be released, and if Harrington signs elsewhere his cap hit can be reduced. Then there is the possibility of sign-and-trade. So we could probably muster a bigger offer than the Suns, but would/should we do it?

- The Bucks have around $11 m in space. If they decided to trade Sanders, which has been mooted, they could clear more than enough cap to for a max. Or they could offer a sign-and-trade if they wanted. But with Brandon Knight, do they want to put a max deal on the table for Bledsoe?

- The Rockets have around $11 m in cap space if they waive the ungaranteed deals of Gee, Hopson and Powell. They do need a PG, and Bledsoe and Harden would be a dynamic partnership. But some deal would need to be made.

- The Bulls have $11 m in cap space, but let's face it, with Rose they aren't going to make a move.

- The Hawks have nearly $11 m in cap space if they renounce Ayon, Brand and Martin. The issue is they have Jeff Teague counting $8 m against the cap. Can they find a taker for him to make room for Bledsoe, or would a sign-and-trade include him?

Overall there aren't any teams (bar the tanking 76ers), with enough cap space to offer more than $12 million a season. I might have misunderstood the cap, so maybe a team could offer more.

2. Do they really want to pay out a max contract if they don't need to pay a max contract?

Basically if they can get him cheaper, then that is good for them. He might want a max deal, but if no one can offer him one, and the Suns don't want to pay one out, they could get him for less. That said, Bledsoe is a talented kid and can be a centrepiece for them going forwards. So I don't see them letting him go, so they will probably up that offer.

I think your numbers are a bit off, particularly with the Bulls, Rockets and Hawks. Then cap hold of Richardson?

I think your numbers are a bit off, particularly with the Bulls, Rockets and Hawks. Then cap hold of Richardson?

Found the figures on here, might not be accurate then...

http://www.shamsports.com/2014/07/the-amount-of-cap-room-teams-have.html?m=1

But if the cap space is less than the above, then that would reduce the chances of a team being able to offer a max deal to Bledsoe without doing a sign-and-trade?

When a guy's contract expires but he doesn't find a new team or fill out retirement paperwork he remains as a cap hold. Teams generally don't waive the rights to these guys unless required to use all of their cap space. It doesn't count on the luxury tax so teams that are above the cap for years tend to collect these guys.

Karl Malone's rights were just waived by the Lakers yesterday.

That's more than fair for Bledsoe

because he is 6'1. size matters in the nba. normally the taller players get more money: centers and forwards. There are less bigs so supply and demand plays a factor. There are a lot of good guards in the league.

When a guy's contract expires but he doesn't find a new team or fill out retirement paperwork he remains as a cap hold. Teams generally don't waive the rights to these guys unless required to use all of their cap space. It doesn't count on the luxury tax so teams that are above the cap for years tend to collect these guys.

Karl Malone's rights were just waived by the Lakers yesterday.

I understand the cap holds. But I thought Quentin Richardson's cap hold was not with us, he last player for Toronto.

I understand the cap holds. But I thought Quentin Richardson's cap hold was not with us, he last player for Toronto.

We don't have q's cap hold. Jeremy Richardson

Found the figures on here, might not be accurate then...

http://www.shamsports.com/2014/07/the-amount-of-cap-room-teams-have.html?m=1

But if the cap space is less than the above, then that would reduce the chances of a team being able to offer a max deal to Bledsoe without doing a sign-and-trade?

Well that answers the Richardson question, it is Jeremy not Quentin, that was the bit I was confused on. Bulls had their Gasol and Euro signing so they have nothing.

Good site.