Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Right. Shift focus to bargain guys under 26. You want to pay a guy who can improve, not overpay for a guy past his prime based on what he's already done.

I get that you don't want to "skip steps", but you can't begin to compete if your entire team is under 26; also, your current young guys need to have a taste of being in the playoffs, otherwise you won't be able to keep them going forward and you become the Clippers of the 80's and 90's. Also, losing begets losing, they need some vets to start winning and give the young guys a taste.

I get that you don't want to "skip steps", but you can't begin to compete if your entire team is under 26; also, your current young guys need to have a taste of being in the playoffs, otherwise you won't be able to keep them going forward and you become the Clippers of the 80's and 90's.

I'm just saying you want guys who are going to be worth their contract for the life of their contract. You don't want to give a 30 year old guy a 5 year contract and have those last two years as a waste of salary after a guy declines.

I'm just saying you want guys who are going to be worth their contract for the life of their contract. You don't want to give a 30 year old guy a 5 year contract and have those last two years as a waste of salary after a guy declines.

Free agents can only get a 4 year unless they re-sign with their current teams, though I get your point. I think Luol Deng is the kind of player, hard-working and self-motivated that will probably be worthwhile for four more years. He is 29 right now (30 sometime this summer), so would be 33 in his final season of a four year deal.

Darren Collison is only 26.

That's also why I said a 3 year deal for Gortat or a 2-year deal for Okafur.

Free agents can only get a 4 year unless they re-sign with their current teams, though I get your point. I think Luol Deng is the kind of player, hard-working and self-motivated that will probably be worthwhile for four more years. He is 29 right now (30 sometime this summer), so would be 33 in his final season of a four year deal.

Darren Collison is only 26.

That's also why I said a 3 year deal for Gortat or a 2-year deal for Okafur.

Luol Deng in my eyes literally makes no sense. He's going to want 10 mil plus and we already have Harkless, Harris and potentially another SF. I don't see how the Wiz won't resign Gortat the way they're playing in the playoffs and I have no interest in Okafor or Collison.

Luol Deng in my eyes literally makes no sense. He's going to want 10 mil plus and we already have Harkless, Harris and potentially another SF. I don't see how the Wiz won't resign Gortat the way they're playing in the playoffs and I have no interest in Okafor or Collison.

As I said initially, a lot depends on who we draft and how quickly we are trying to climb back into the upper echelons. Yes, we do have Harkless, Harris and potentially another SF. I see Harris as more of a stretch-PF with the second unit, and Harkless as a backup for the SF. I know Harkless is still very young, but with a couple of seasons in the league, I am not sure he is/will ever be starting material for a top 5 team. The amount of time that we had Afflalo playing the SF, or 3-guard lineup is part of what makes me think we need to look at Deng. Even if you pick a Wiggins or Parker, someone like Deng for them to "apprentice" with and eventually take over from seems like a good move. If he starts to "fall off", either of them should be ready/able to step up and if he doesn't fall off, then he becomes a valuable trade chip. If we don't get either of them, then Deng becomes even more valuable. He is my primary target, regardless of who we pick. Note, I said earlier he was 29 turning 30; I was wrong, he just turned 29 in April, so would be 32 most of the fourth year of a new contract. Yes, he made $14M last year, but Chicago didn't have many takers for him or his expiring contract, so the opinion throughout the league seemed to be he was overpaid. If no one was willing to take on the final year, with the additional rights/advantages to resigning him, then I doubt anyone will offer him close to that on a new contract. He may want $10+, that doesn't mean he will get it. Especially since his numbers dropped slightly in Cleveland the final 30 games. Add in Florida, no income tax, et cetera. I think 4yr/$36 would at least get his interest, if not, we move on.

I look at Darren Collison as a free agent target only if we don't get the top point guard in the draft. Personally, I think that unless Wiggins is available, I think we end up taking Exum. But if worst case scenario we end up picking 5 or 6, and Exum is gone; then I think you try for Collison. Even if you get Smart or Ennis, Collison gives you another young (27 in August) pg to work into the mix. Competition for minutes can make a guy work that much harder to shorten his learning curve. Also, he is a quick pg, good for 2nd team change of pace, and good for young guys to develop defense against.

As I said initially, a lot depends on who we draft and how quickly we are trying to climb back into the upper echelons. Yes, we do have Harkless, Harris and potentially another SF. I see Harris as more of a stretch-PF with the second unit, and Harkless as a backup for the SF. I know Harkless is still very young, but with a couple of seasons in the league, I am not sure he is/will ever be starting material for a top 5 team. The amount of time that we had Afflalo playing the SF, or 3-guard lineup is part of what makes me think we need to look at Deng. Even if you pick a Wiggins or Parker, someone like Deng for them to "apprentice" with and eventually take over from seems like a good move. If he starts to "fall off", either of them should be ready/able to step up and if he doesn't fall off, then he becomes a valuable trade chip. If we don't get either of them, then Deng becomes even more valuable. He is my primary target, regardless of who we pick. Note, I said earlier he was 29 turning 30; I was wrong, he just turned 29 in April, so would be 32 most of the fourth year of a new contract. Yes, he made $14M last year, but Chicago didn't have many takers for him or his expiring contract, so the opinion throughout the league seemed to be he was overpaid. If no one was willing to take on the final year, with the additional rights/advantages to resigning him, then I doubt anyone will offer him close to that on a new contract. He may want $10+, that doesn't mean he will get it. Especially since his numbers dropped slightly in Cleveland the final 30 games. Add in Florida, no sales tax, et cetera. I think 4yr/$36 would at least get his interest, if not, we move on.

I look at Darren Collison as a free agent target only if we don't get the top point guard in the draft. Personally, I think that unless Wiggins is available, I think we end up taking Exum. But if worst case scenario we end up picking 5 or 6, and Exum is gone; then I think you try for Collison. Even if you get Smart or Ennis, Collison gives you another young (27 in August) pg to work into the mix. Competition for minutes can make a guy work that much harder to shorten his learning curve. Also, he is a quick pg, good for 2nd team change of pace, and good for young guys to develop defense against.

Problem with collison is he's had poor performance outside of when he's filled in for CP3

Problem with collison is he's had poor performance outside of when he's filled in for CP3

He is streaky, and I don't think he is a long-term solution as a starting PG; but as a short-term starter, and a very quick penetrating PG for a rookie PG and/or Oladipo to practice against, he has my interest.

You also have to consider that he has now played in 4 or 5 different systems, so he's gotten some valuable experience to pass on through practice. That may also be a contributing factor to his streakiness.

Btw, we just got ourselves a D-League team.

The Orlando Magic now have an outpost in northwestern Pennsylvania. After months of talks, Magic officials have finalized a one-to-one affiliation agreement with the NBA Development League’s Erie BayHawks. The agreement will begin with the 2014-15 season and is scheduled to run through the 2016-17 season. Orlando Sentinel

via hoopshype

Not sure if anyone saw this. It mentions the Wizards wanting to target Jameer Nelson and possibly Afflalo in a trade this offseason, particularly Nelson since Steve Clifford worked with him in Orlando for years

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/2190/summer-scoop-next-for-charlotte

What would you want in return for Nelson? Afflalo?

You mean Charlotte?

Not sure if anyone saw this. It mentions the Bobcats wanting to target Jameer Nelson and possibly Afflalo in a trade this offseason, particularly Nelson since Steve Clifford worked with him in Orlando for years

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/2190/summer-scoop-next-for-charlotte

What would you want in return for Nelson? Afflalo?

I think the deal could make sense for them. Nelson behind Walker, and perhaps Afflalo starting at SG or SF, depending on whether or not they can afford to grab a SF like Deng as well. The problem with this would be what we could get in return?

Their first round pick is #24, which could get us a useful player. Not sure what talent they'd likely try to send our way, but it could be MKG, Zeller or Biyombo - none of whom are upgrades on our existing players. I suppose an intriguing possibility could be #24 and Gerald Henderson, who could turn into a decent sixth man. But overall I'm not sure what Afflalo and Nelson's return would be, and what the Bobcats could offer us.