Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

Thanks for that list, nice resource. I meant realistic targets for FA, by all means we should offer Lebron a max contract.

There are a few guys on that list that would probably fit well with our core group of players. However, I'd rather see us start to win and play better on our own before we start plugging in vet talent to fill out the team.

Someone that I'd really like us to look at is Ed Davis who is coming off as a restricted free agent this off season. The Grizz don't want to go into the tax so aren't likely to extend him probably preferring to keep Johnson who has been a great piece for them this year.

In terms of searching for that defensive shot blocker to play with Nic I think that he can fill that role to a good level. He also already has NBA experience after being in the system for 4 years so we wouldn't have to worry about dealing with acclimatizing a fresh rookie.

A couple of key things that stand out about him:

- great height 6-10

- 7 foot wingspan

- fantastic explosive athlete with a great vert

- needs to add muscle to be able to bang with big bodied players (the fact that he hasn't really improved on this aspect since he got drafted is a red flag)

- not a great passer

- above average touch around the rim but not great

- can occasionally shoot open 15 footers but needs to improve on his mid-range game

- poor free throw shooter but not terrible (I feel like he can probably get it between 65-70%)

- his offensive game hasn't really progressed since leaving college (still mostly put backs with a couple of face up moves inside and a average jump hook which is another red flag)

From a statistical standpoint here are a couple of interesting points:

-Opponents are shooting 40.1% at the rim against him (this is better than Ibaka, Hibbert and Drummond)

- In the games he has played less than 15 minutes, Davis’ per-36-minute averages are 8.1 points and 10.7 rebounds; in the games with over 15 minutes played, Davis’ per-36-minute averages are 15.3 points and 9.4 rebounds (he needs good minutes to get him going which is something we are in a position to give him).

-in his 2 season with the Raptors he shot above 60% inside and averaged 1.5 blocks per 36

-there are some more interesting defensive ones in here (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ed-Davis-1354/stats/)

Here is a take on him from a Grizz blog: http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2014/3/5/5473276/Memphis-grizzlies-ed-davis-disappointing-season

Overall can see him becoming a better version of someone like Amir Johnson (a great glue guy and defensive presence). He just needs to find the right situation in terms of fit and minutes. Seeing the group of great, motivated players we have around the team I feel that with us he would find his role and develop his body and game to the point where he can become an important member of the squad. Like when we got Tobias I feel like his could be another great under the radar acquisition who fits the age profile of our team. He likely won't stay in Memphis and considering his stagnation and poor play over the last 2 years his stock has never been lower, now is a great time to pounce and secure him on a cheap/fair contract. Also getting him lessens our need to pick up a big player in the draft which opens up more options for us.

Here are also a couple of highlights for those people that would like to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCRMWlRSOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeeMKE7n3xg

is it just me or did our current prosect bigs show promise. Oqinn and desmond showed a nice defensive presence at the end of the year. desmond has amazing speed for a 7 foot player. He has some rare raw talent and started to play ball late; because his parrents did not beleive in basketball.

I beleive desmond, with energy, size, athl, and defense, can make an impact. He was playing so well (at the end of the year) he sat andrew, almost hurt the tank, earned a three year contract. I think he has a chance (like oquinn and gortat) to develope. For this reason, I dont think we need to spend money on davis. I think desmond has more raw talent and a burning desire to playball. I would save the money for Voch and harris because their rookie deals are nearing the end.

is it just me or did our current prosect bigs show promise. Oqinn and desmond showed a nice defensive presence at the end of the year. desmond has amazing speed for a 7 foot player. He has some rare raw talent and started to play ball late; because his parrents did not beleive in basketball.

I beleive desmond, with energy, size, athl, and defense, can make an impact. He was playing so well (at the end of the year) he sat andrew, almost hurt the tank, earned a three year contract. I think he has a chance (like oquinn and gortat) to develope. For this reason, I dont think we need to spend money on davis. I think desmond has more raw talent and a burning desire to playball. I would save the money for Voch and harris because their rookie deals are nearing the end.

You're talking about Dedmon right? I'd be willing to give him a chance next season and into 15-16. He has been promising. Might be a good spark off the bench on a good-to-contending team.

I'm talking about Davis playing as a long term starter on the team. As much as I like Dedmon (and I really do) I don't think he has that in him. I was following Dedmon for the draft was really hoping he'd eventually land with us so I'm very glad that he has but I feel that his ceiling is 10-15 min per game as someone who brings energy off the bench for a contending team. Davis in my mind is several steps above him but like Dedmon I feel he is a hidden resource that some teams will overlook. Since we lost Baby we need more big man depth anyway so I don't see why we can't have both and Davis shouldn't cost us anything outrageous that would take money away from anyone else considering the cap space we have.

In my mind it would be best to get maybe 1-2 cheap FA acquisitions to fill the glaring holes on our team (big man defense and outside shooting) and draft the players that we feel have the most talent rather than the best fit. Hopefully our holes and talented players line up but if not we can use FA without blowing all our cap space.

I haven't really thought about the outside shooting aspect much. Maybe someone like Toney Douglas would be a good and relatively cheap pick up (also available this offseason)? He would give us a steady vet that can stretch the floor and play some defense.

I'd rather find/draft a floor-stretching PF like we had with Ryno than another offensively limited rim protector like Ed Davis.

What are we doing with Maxiell? After riding the bench all season with no apparent major injury, I'm guessing his purpose is just veteran locker room practice player.

I'd rather find/draft a floor-stretching PF like we had with Ryno than another offensively limited rim protector like Ed Davis.

Haha. I feel just the opposite. Right now our interior defense is awful. Even though Papa Smurf can block some shots and I like him, he's more like a Haslem or Turiaf type. Dedmon showed promise but I agree with Ace about Davis. I think he's got true potential as a starting PF on a good team, including solid defensive potential.

This isn't exactly free agency news, but would you guys want to take on Taj Gibson to allow the Bulls to free up salary cap space for a run at Melo??? Hmmm…

I think we could trade Meer for him.