Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

The Art of Tanking

So you create the "worst team in basketball", and that makes you a genius? Sign me up. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who could put together a team that wouldn't win a single game.

It's one thing to put together a garbage team, it's another to put together an inexperienced team that can only improve. This team is terrible because it's young, not because it lacks talent. Big difference.

So to answer your question, no.

I think it was either the Suns GM or Danny Ainge. Hennigan is very reserved and careful in his comments. I doubt he would say something like that to the media.

I'm still waiting for JJZFL to explain what rebuilding plan he'd have the team pursue rather than this one. I asked that question like 4 months ago, so I'd assume by now he'd have had time to think about his response.

Well, you just gotta sign hall of fame caliber players. /sarcasm.

If Magic are tanking, then they are doing it wrong so far in the first game. lol

This is actually the plan I assume. Look really competitive for the first three quarters and then blow it. If you noticed last night, we were making a run in the fourth quarter and it looked like we had a chance at a close game. Instead, we leave Solomon Jones, Etwaan Moore, and Kyle Oquinn in the game. This squad was playing some nice team defense, but did Jacque really expect them to pull the game even and have enough to win??

This article sounds like it could have been Rob, but I doubt it. Maybe Suns or Celtics GM?

So you create the "worst team in basketball", and that makes you a genius? Sign me up. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who could put together a team that wouldn't win a single game.

You cant be serious bro? This comment is worth ignoring this guy. Talk about ignorance.

This is actually the plan I assume. Look really competitive for the first three quarters and then blow it. If you noticed last night, we were making a run in the fourth quarter and it looked like we had a chance at a close game. Instead, we leave Solomon Jones, Etwaan Moore, and Kyle Oquinn in the game. This squad was playing some nice team defense, but did Jacque really expect them to pull the game even and have enough to win??

This article sounds like it could have been Rob, but I doubt it. Maybe Suns or Celtics GM?

Ah yes,the mysterious third quarter curse now moves up a quarter, and I'm ok with this :)

Ah yes,the mysterious third quarter curse now moves up a quarter, and I'm ok with this smile.gif

The "third quarter curse" was a problem with Brian Hill's coaching, specifically his inability to make adjustments and the predictability of his offensive schemes. It wasn't voodoo.

The "third quarter curse" was a problem with Brian Hill's coaching, specifically his inability to make adjustments and the predictability of his offensive schemes. It wasn't voodoo.

So you're saying it's voodoo...

I KNEW IT

And just as luck would have it, Brian Hill is around again. A coincidence? I think not, white man from town.

You cant be serious bro? This comment is worth ignoring this guy. Talk about ignorance.

Sorry you don't like my comment. Your "TrustInHenny" moniker suggests that you may not be totally objective about this stuff, though.

To answer DOM's question, there are of course other potential rebuilding models aside from becoming the worst team in the league. The Boston Celtics added some great players in 2007 and went from nowhere to NBA champion. And the 1999-2000 Magic were in a rebuilding mode and yet were able to field the "heart and hustle" team who were competitive and entertaining to watch. Of course, the current Magic situation is not exactly the same as either of those two examples. Otis did leave a big mess. And no two situations are ever going to be exactly the same. But there is usually more than one approach.

This discussion, however, is of no value. The Magic have chosen their route to rebuild. What's done is done. Let's stipulate for the sake of discussion that this was the best choice they had.

So let's look at what they've got now. They have a very young and untested GM, a young coach who had never been a head coach before last season, and a young team that right now isn't very good. That's all we've got to judge them by. Will they become good or even great in the next 2-3 years? That's the gamble in all of this. If they succeed, then I'll agree that Henny deserves our trust. But until then, it's way premature to designate anyone as a genius, or even a success. Just because they're young and new doesn't mean they'll succeed.

Sorry you don't like my comment. Your "TrustInHenny" moniker suggests that you may not be totally objective about this stuff, though.

To answer DOM's question, there are of course other potential rebuilding models aside from becoming the worst team in the league. The Boston Celtics added some great players in 2007 and went from nowhere to NBA champion. And the 1999-2000 Magic were in a rebuilding mode and yet were able to field the "heart and hustle" team who were competitive and entertaining to watch. Of course, the current Magic situation is not exactly the same as either of those two examples. Otis did leave a big mess. And no two situations are ever going to be exactly the same. But there is usually more than one approach.

This discussion, however, is of no value. The Magic have chosen their route to rebuild. What's done is done. Let's stipulate for the sake of discussion that this was the best choice they had.

So let's look at what they've got now. They have a very young and untested GM, a young coach who had never been a head coach before last season, and a young team that right now isn't very good. That's all we've got to judge them by. Will they become good or even great in the next 2-3 years? That's the gamble in all of this. If they succeed, then I'll agree that Henny deserves our trust. But until then, it's way premature to designate anyone as a genius, or even a success. Just because they're young and new doesn't mean they'll succeed.

you mean the same Boston Celtics who tanked and traded the #2 pick for Ray Allen? The heart and hustle team who was mediocre?