Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

2013 - 2014 Regular Season Thread

14/4/4

Vic in year one. There wouldn't be a hole at SG.

But Vic was playing split time between PG and SG, and spent a good amount of time against backups. Also, AA played a lot of his time for us at SF last year. Without AA, this leaves our wing situation a little iffy. Granted, Wiggins may be able to play both SG/SF, and if we get him, I am more likely to consider trading AA, but I still think he is worth more than just draft pick #8. My biggest concern is that we don't trade better talent for lesser talent. Trading a guy like AA, who is 28, entering what is normally peak age of a career, who has shown an amazing work ethic and dedication to improving every year, and a borderline all-star, for an unproven commodity; ie draft pick #8, seems risky at best.

But Vic was playing split time between PG and SG, and spent a good amount of time against backups. Also, AA played a lot of his time for us at SF last year. Without AA, this leaves our wing situation a little iffy. Granted, Wiggins may be able to play both SG/SF, and if we get him, I am more likely to consider trading AA, but I still think he is worth more than just draft pick #8. My biggest concern is that we don't trade better talent for lesser talent. Trading a guy like AA, who is 28, entering what is normally peak age of a career, who has shown an amazing work ethic and dedication to improving every year, and a borderline all-star, for an unproven commodity; ie draft pick #8, seems risky at best.

Allowing him to walk and getting nothing in return is the alternative, so keep that in mind.

Allowing him to walk and getting nothing in return is the alternative, so keep that in mind.

Except that his contract is through the end of this season with a player option for next, so even if we thought he was going to opt out we would still have through the trading deadline to shop him. Also, what are the odds that he will opt out of a guaranteed $7.5M for that season? He might, but he would have to be pretty sure that he can get more elsewhere. With the new league agreement we saw a much wider disparity between star and role player contracts last summer. With the new, stiffer penalties for teams that exceed the tax line there are a lot fewer owners willing to go there for a borderline all-star. It's the old bird in the hand vs. two in the bush. Is a 1yr/$7.5M guarantee for 2015-16 better, or is the chance at a longer/bigger payday. That's a pretty big gamble to take. Depending on where/who the Magic draft, I would not be surprised if Rob H traded AA, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he started talks to extend his contract. I think if we get Wiggins then he will trade AA; but if we get a combo guard/point with our first pick, I think AA stays, at least through the All Star game.

Except that his contract is through the end of this season with a player option for next, so even if we thought he was going to opt out we would still have through the trading deadline to shop him. Also, what are the odds that he will opt out of a guaranteed $7.5M for that season? He might, but he would have to be pretty sure that he can get more elsewhere. With the new league agreement we saw a much wider disparity between star and role player contracts last summer. With the new, stiffer penalties for teams that exceed the tax line there are a lot fewer owners willing to go there for a borderline all-star. It's the old bird in the hand vs. two in the bush. Is a 1yr/$7.5M guarantee for 2015-16 better, or is the chance at a longer/bigger payday. That's a pretty big gamble to take. Depending on where/who the Magic draft, I would not be surprised if Rob H traded AA, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he started talks to extend his contract. I think if we get Wiggins then he will trade AA; but if we get a combo guard/point with our first pick, I think AA stays, at least through the All Star game.

I think we trade AA, because he will opt out. I dont think he will stay, because he is in his prime. He wants to win now. Every lost ways on him. AA/Nelson/Andrew/the-12th-pick are good trade pieces to move up.

This is the same reason we traded JJ.

We will still be developing next year regardless of whether we trade AA. The 7-8 seed next season would be a best case scenario and even that may be wishful thinking. Also I'm not sure I get what you mean by "filling one hole by creating another". AA is likely going to walk next summer so why not get something for him while he has value (similar to what we did with JJ)?

I agree with this. I actually feel confident if we nail this draft, we can make an 8 seed next year (we are in the east after all). AA is not going to be here in a year. I'm sure we will push to trade him on draft night, but I would not be shocked if that didn't happen. I would however be shocked if Affalo is on our team after the deadline. Like you're saying, you don't just want him walking for nothing and he has real good value in a trade going to a contending team.

Do I think there is a player at 8 that will put up the same numbers as Affalo? No, but I think "x" player could the following year and that's when we should ideally be making a run as a middle seed team in the east (fingers crossed).

with the rumors of david lee, he is not a good fit and is paid way too much.

The absolute only explanation for Rob bringing or even discussing David Lee coming to Orlando would be to have Sabina Gadecki sitting in the audience.

Thought Afflalo might sneak in there, but he didn't.

Vooch did at 42. He currently is our most impactful player when on (or off) the court.

I wanna go on record saying if Jameer is our starting PG opening night I'm going to, we'll, I'm going to be utterly disappointed.

I wanna go on record saying if Jameer is our starting PG opening night I'm going to, we'll, I'm going to be utterly disappointed.

I agree. I think we draft a PG or make a strong play for Reggie Jackson, but either way Jameer's days as a starter need to be coming to an end. Was Henny in OKC when they drafted Jackson. I want to say he was.

• Upvote 1