Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

2013 - 2014 Regular Season Thread

So at the very least, is it fair for me to question whether or not JV is capable of changing his coaching style once the expectations rise? I know his demeanor might suit this team now, but I'm not aware of any coach of a contending team that comes off anywhere near as "soft" (for lack of better term) than JV. In other words, can a players coach of a losing team become the demanding coach of a winning team? In the meantime I'll just stop watching the postgame interviews because they are pretty much the same win or lose, going back to last year of course.

Yeah, I'd say that's fair. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Changing subjects, anyone think we'll pursue any of Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Gordon Hayward or Greg Monroe this offseason? None of them got extended, so they'll be restricted free agents.

UPDATE: (Link) Solomon Jones tears lateral meniscus in left knee.

Everything you said is true. But still, there should be some expectation of progress every year. Some sign that the young players and the team are developing and improving. To me, that should be a key milestone for this season.

We have a young and athletic team. I don't think it's unreasonable to have an expectation that their defense, for example, will be better this year than it was last year. Even with a bad team, there have to be some standards of performance that you can hold the coach to.

I also was surprised about how upbeat JV was after the last loss during the post-game. I'm not sure that sends the right message to his young team. He doesn't have to be critical to be disappointed. He could say something like: "I was really pleased with our effort, but a loss is a loss, and I won't be satisfied until we win, so we have to work harder and keep getting better".

Don't assume that his demeanor and message in the locker room is the same as his message and demeanor with the media. There's no reason to throw the team under the buss with the media and call guys out, but I wouldn't assume that he isn't working with them, pointing out the things they need to work on individually and as a team, and stressing those things on a regular basis during practice, film review etc.

To me, taking those things to the media are more of a motivation tool to a veteran team that should know better, or as a last resort when a young guy/team just isn't getting it.

I wouldn't mind that but he'll probably get way overpaid somewhere else

I agree. Someone is going to give him a bunch of money to be mike dunleavy jr

if you believe Marc Stein:

One week removed from the season's first big trade -- Marcin Gortat to Washington -- you're surely wondering: Who's next?

To borrow from one of legendary wheeler-dealer Don Nelson's pet phrases: Jameer Nelson is a good name.

The Magic, according to the latest rumbles, would surrender Nelson today if offered a future first-round pick for him. Orlando GM Rob Hennigan continues to chase draft picks and young assets above all else as he remakes the Magic.

The problem is that teams have never been more reluctant to surrender first-round picks -- and the cap-friendly contracts they carry -- than we see nowadays. Even a proven point guard like Nelson, who's making a reasonable $8.6 million this season and is owed only $2 million guaranteed next season, could struggle to command one in return.

Perhaps a contender will be willing to make that sacrifice as we get deeper into the season, needing that one final piece for a playoff push, but first-rounders and their precious rookie-scale contracts are, well, precious. Which is why Chicago never had a hope of acquiring a future first in exchange for young guard Marquis Teague no matter how hard the Bulls tried to get one for Teague throughout October.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein

Personally, I think his "rumbling" is correct.

Yeah, I'd say that's fair. We'll just have to wait and find out.

Changing subjects, anyone think we'll pursue any of Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, Gordon Hayward or Greg Monroe this offseason? None of them got extended, so they'll be restricted free agents.

UPDATE: (Link) Solomon Jones tears lateral meniscus in left knee.

Monroe could also be something, but I'm getting the feeling that others will outbid us... BY FAR.