Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Harden Traded to Houston

Rockets and Harden agree on a 5 year 80 million contract

That is nuts, Harden is not worth 80 million!

I am glad Harden is not in a Magic uniform, I would have been pissed if the Magic gave him 80 million!

This may be the worst contract in history if Harden plays like crap in his Rocket career

If Harden earned the right to get a raise for what you said $20-25 mill, thats not greed at all. That means he worked for it and earned it. But When harden was negotiating with Presti for the 4 year contract, OKC could only offer Harden $52mill. Harden really wanted $60 mill.

This was before the trade:

That still isn't greed. That's knowing your market value and attempting to get it. 8 millions dollars is a significant amount of money. Let's try this from another angle. If you are wanting to limit the players on the Magic roster to only include individuals who are willing to take 8 million less than they could get playing elsewhere to play in Orlando, you probably won't be looking at much of a squad. I doubt you could field a 13 player roster.

I have one more thing to add. People that want athletes to take millions less to play for their team clearly aren't aware of just how fast these guys spend money (or they don't care). Iverson made over a hundred million dollars in his playing career and has already filed for bankruptcy and he's hardly alone. Its mostly about giving too much money to kids who really don't understand how to manage it but the point is that players only have a limited time to earn. Fans that expect them to take less money are guilty of the sin they are accusing the players of: greed.

I have one more thing to add. People that want athletes to take millions less to play for their team clearly aren't aware of just how fast these guys spend money (or they don't care). Iverson made over a hundred million dollars in his playing career and has already filed for bankruptcy and he's hardly alone. Its mostly about giving too much money to kids who really don't understand how to manage it but the point is that players only have a limited time to earn. Fans that expect them to take less money are guilty of the sin they are accusing the players of: greed.

At least Iverson's people were smart because he has a few million in a bank account that he can't touch until he turns 55. But yeah he's broke now, but he won't be in about 20 years.

Haven't read through these replies yet but I personally think Presti made a mistake by doing this trade. They were about 5 or 6 plays away from winning the championship last year and this trade didn't put them any closer to winning it this year. They gave away the Western Conference because Harden absolutely KILLED San Antonio and LA last season and there's no way Kevin Martin will be able to take over their offense when Westbrook and Durant are on the bench or having a bad game. Has Kevin Martin even played in a playoff game before?

They did it purely for financial reasons and it's going to cost them the Western Conference crown (possibly) over the next few years. They should've just played the season out, then when Harden's offered the 60 mil or whatever they match it then amnesty Perkins (stupid contract to begin with) and keep those big 3 intact. I mean OKC is one of the more profitable teams in the league and the income isn't going to slow down when you're winning 62 games every year with a human highlight reel in Westbrook and the greatest scorer of the past 20 years in Durant. DAMMIT i HATE THIS TRADE

Well Harden has just hit the jackpot with Houston.

He agreed to play for 5 years $80mill.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--james-harden-gets--80m-extension-with-rockets-31181709.html

James Harden has agreed to a five-year, $80 million contract extension with the Houston Rockets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Thunder had offered Harden a four-year, $54 million extension before talks broke down. The Rockets envision Harden as their franchise star and will start him alongside Jeremy Lin in their reconstructed backcourt.

They did it purely for financial reasons

Exactly. It may hurt a little in the short term, but long term they're still set. Don't be so short sighted. Durant and Westbrook are only 24 and 23, respectively. OKC knew Harden's not worth a max contract, so why wait to trade him and get less value? Trade him now so teams can still extend his contract and you can get prime value for him. It was a business move.

Lol at Harden's stat line tonight...I may have been wrong on this one.

"Sample sizes"

:shard: Guy was unbelievable tonight. I think many of us may have been wrong on this, but we'll see.