Sign in to follow this  
Manu Ginobili

BBD emerging as a potential All Star?

By the way, Manu Ginobili is one of the most talented players I've seen and also one of the most underrated. But I'd still rate Dirk & Nash above him, I think there's not even much debate about it.

Tim Duncan is American.

What do you consider Kyrie Irving to be, DoM?

Tim Duncan is from the Virgin Islands.

Kyrie Irving is a dual-citizen, though I'd have to look up what the other country is. I have no real idea how he self-identifies.

The point I was making was that Manu's post about Olajuwon, for example, not being International because he gained US citizenship is asinine. For one thing, his native country didn't have a basketball team in the Olympics. For two, even if you decided that Olajuwon stopped being from Nigeria when he became a US citizen, what he'd done before then('93) easily eclipses anything Manu Ginobili ever did.

Shorter version: Hakeem didn't stop being Nigerian when he became American.

Kyrie Irving is a dual-citizen, though I'd have to look up what the other country is. I have no real idea how he self-identifies.

The point I was making was that Manu's post about Olajuwon, for example, not being International because he gained US citizenship is asinine. For one thing, his native country didn't have a basketball team in the Olympics. For two, even if you decided that Olajuwon stopped being from Nigeria when he became a US citizen, what he'd done before then('93) easily eclipses anything Manu Ginobili ever did.

Kyrie was born in Australia because his American father played basketball there. Kyrie rejected representing Australia in the Olympics because he doesn't relate to the country

Also, Tim Duncan was born in the freaking US Virgin Islands and lived most his life in the United States, a country that he represented.

Anyways, I don't like to discuss this topic that much because I don't think there is a clear answer, I just think that there's no reason for Tim Duncan not to be considered American.

You didn't read anything I wrote, did you?

I did and I agree with what you said about Hakeem.

In my last post I just stated something you didn't remember about Kyrie and shared my view on Duncan

Your close mind doesn't allow you to evaluate that, since they acquired US Nationality, they were able to play for the US National Team, which is a perfectly valid reason to call them US NATIONALS

Same as in every other sport where players take a new nationality to play in their national team. Now they may have double nationality, that does not mean they are NOT Russians/Italian/French. It means they are BOTH

That is the reality. What you consider is irrelevant next to the power of reality.

Just make the bet already.

He didn't stop being Nigerian. He became BOTH.

Therefore, he is a Nigerian. Aaaaaannnnndddd........ yes, he is an American, too !!!

He didn't lose his first nationality, he gained one and kept other one. 1 + 1 = 2

Do I have to repeat every sentence in my posts?

Thing is...if Manu had gained US nationality during his basketball career and actually PLAYED FOR ITS NATIONAL TEAM (I believe he is already an Italian national too), then I would stop considering him international as far as US/NBA players.

Fact is, Duncan is an American Citizen. Ditto for Hakeem. Manu? NOT

So he doesn't stop being Nigerian. He just stops being International.

And he was international because he was Nigerian.

I wish you could understand how idiotic you sound right now. I legitimately feel bad for you. You're embarrassing yourself right now, and you don't realize it.

So he doesn't stop being Nigerian. He just stops being International.

And he was international because he was Nigerian.

I wish you could understand how idiotic you sound right now. I legitimately feel bad for you. You're embarrassing yourself right now, and you don't realize it.

He starts being American. A Nigerian/American is no longer an international.

Got it? Or do you need further explanation? It was the best I could do without having to explain everything to you again.

Got it? Or do you need further explanation? It was the best I could do without having to explain everything to you again.

Sorry but you are so wrong it is not funny. It's not like he is Kyrie Irving where his parents were from the US, he only spent 2 years in Australia. Kyrie was basically born with dual nationality. Hakeem only acquired his because of his career. The dude is international, and much better than Manu.

I can't speak for DOM but I could use a further explanation. Hakeem is still a Nigerian citizen. He's a citizen of both countries therefore he's an international player. Even if you want to pretend that he is no longer an international player when he became an American citizen, you can't ignore his contributions prior to 1993, otherwise known as the first half of his career, when he was strictly a Nigerian citizen. Duncan may be a bit of a stretch as an international player but Hakeem is not...and the only reason you don't see it is because you are so determined to try to prove DOM wrong.

Since I'm coming into this conversation late, how does Rudy Fernandez factor into this topic?

I can't speak for DOM but I could use a further explanation. Hakeem is still a Nigerian citizen. He's a citizen of both countries therefore he's an international player. Even if you want to pretend that he is no longer an international player when he became an American citizen, you can't ignore his contributions prior to 1993, otherwise known as the first half of his career, when he was strictly a Nigerian citizen. Duncan may be a bit of a stretch as an international player but Hakeem is not...and the only reason you don't see it is because you are so determined to try to prove DOM wrong.

Since I'm coming into this conversation late, how does Rudy Fernandez factor into this topic?

Nobody is arguing he is still a Nigerian citizen. I have repeteadly stated that he is a Nigerian and an American. Therefore, since you cannot consider an "American" player to be "Not American", I didn't consider him. If they both (he and Duncan) were not American, there is no doubt in my mind, they would be leaps and bounds ahead of any foreign player that has ever played in the NBA.

Regarding Rudy, DOM quoted me as saying once "Rudy is the 2nd best international player of all time", behind Manu. I believe this was around '08 Olympics, when he was in the Spanish team that played the famous Gold medal game. Obviously a very poor judgement from my part and shortsighted, since he probably wouldn't crack a Top 100 in history. I just saw in him every condition to be a stud in the NBA, which obviously didn't pan out as I expected (maybe because of mental issues, adaptation, not being as good as in FIBA, not being physical enough). He did have many things to be a star. Stupid statement from me.

Then again, DOM says sample size sample size when I posted Ryno was going to have a breakout season, he does have it, and afterwards he says every young player who is given lot more minutes and a bigger role is going to improve. Of course, if you NEVER make any bold statement, you are probably not going to miss. And you can poke fun at the idiots who said stupid things. But YOU NEVER LOSE.

I guess its more fun that way.