Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppaV

Trade Details to stop the negativity

For those of you who think Chad Ford is an idiot or clueless he wrote this back in the summer of 2007 immediately after Otis signed Rashard....While most NBA fans were lauding the Magic for signing Dwight and Rashard long term he was one of the few who put a negative spin on it.

I don't think many here now will disagree with the Otis bashing Chad has done....he actuslly had Otis's picture on the front page of ESPN with a dunce cap on his head, lol.

This next little excerpt was written yesterday by Chad and John Hollinger....It's entitled Future Power Rankings....Here's what they had to say about the Magic:

We were ranked number 26....At least we weren't last.

lol u serious?

Shard was a big part of turning this franchise around and was instrumental in getting us to the finals. he WAS our best player in the 09 finals. the magic overpaid but I don't care for revisionist history here, at the time it was heavily rumored the rockets were ready to make Lewis a big offer. infact Lewis contract didn't hamstring us.....it's signing Hedo, signing Jrich, signing Qrich and Duhon instead of Harrington type things that hamstrung us.

If we sign Harrington instead of Qrich and Dudu like we should have we would have beaten the hawks in 2011

We also got McBob's expiring deal. The 2 guys we traded are a lot less tradable than the 2 guys we got. IMO contenders will be interested in Affalo and Harrington come deadline (especially if they are putting up numbers) and if not Harrington can be bought out.

Bingo

And we don't have to watch Duhon in a magic uniform ever again!

From Ford's article

"At some point, however, Orlando's assets will help. We rated them second in the draft category -- if nothing else, the Magic's own picks will be very high, plus they do own three future first-round selections -- and seventh in money, as the trades have cleaned up one of the league's worst cap situations. In a sunny, tax-free market that has lured big-time free agents before (but let's not speak of the Grant Hill era), that could be a real weapon going forward."

Cleaned up is misleading. If we had actually cleaned up the situation (as opposed to just making it better) then Henny wouldn't have re-signed Jameer for more than 2 years and would've either traded Hedo or not acquired Afflalo.

In terms of contract:productivity I absolutely agree Arenas is the worst player in NBA history, but at the point in time Orlando acquired it was a calculated risk considering the amnesty clause was never projected to be a point of contention in new CBA talks.

Signing Rashard to his huge contract and the subsequent trade for Arenas crippled Orlando's ability to sign assets that still affects them today even after the amnesty of Arenas. The trade of Rashard for Arenas itself knowing the amnesty clause was to come didn't matter so much though.

Fixed that for you. If Otis had a brain he would've either kept Rashard until the contract expired (off the books by now) or traded away Rashard's contract when it was expiring for actual talent instead of a felon with no knees (but Dwight liked Arenas! Dwight wanted to play with him!...)

Can we please dispel the biggest misnomer being perpetuated around the NBA: Orlando getting cap relief from the trade.

Orlando's contract obligations through 2013 onward as changed by the trade:

-Duhon's 2yr/7.6 mil

-Richardson's 3yr/18.6

+Harington's 3yr/21

+Afflalo's 4yr/30

We kind of all assumed Orlando would at lest make ther cap situation better if trading Dwight for nothing. It's like people can't wrap their heads around how bad the trade was.

Harrington's last two years are only partially-guaranteed (about half of the money in each year).

I think he was referring to "cleaned up" meaning that it was a mess and way over the cap and now it's not a mess and we are under the cap. I think that by the time we get our roster down to 15 (or 14) we will be actually in a position where we are eligible to bid on players that get waived.

Been out of the country. Reading through.

I'm frustrated we traded with LA, Denver, and Philly and didn't walk away with Lawson, Gallo, Javale, Bynum, or Iguodala.

The euro is a body and nothing more.

I personally love that we got Harklees. He has unreal potential with refinement.

Afflalo is a great addition, a little expensive, but makes JJ expendable next year and can give us 12 points with lockdown D. Great role player.

Harrington is a really good sixth man and gives us a similar offensive dynamic to Anderson/Glen when he's out there with BBD. Solid piece there.

Throw ins were throw ins. Bleh.

The draft picks are about as valuable as a Dwight Howard magic jersey. We couldn't get one lottery garaunteed or pick from a crap team involving Dwight freaking Howard? Jesus. And the picks are all protected too which is even more disheartening.

I love that we have that big of a trade exception. Smart play is to do what the Lakers did with theirs, use it to sign a FA and offer the crap picks back to whomever we're signing from.

We have a really deep team as long as Hedo doesn't see the floor.

Nelson / Ish

Afflalo / Redick

Moe / QRICH

Glen / Harrington

Ayon / PhillyDude

Would love to see us run more this year with that depth. I don't think we're Charlotte bad but we won't be good either unless Ayon is Gortat 2.0.

I wish we could've gotten a true center piece or a valuable draft pick. Unless Harklees develops completely, the best player we get for Dwight Howard is Aaron Afflalo. And cap relief I guess.