Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

1. Fine. Take a max contract Brook Lopez instead lol.

2. Three-team trade with Cleveland or Houston. Their picks and prospects vary but you can dumb one bad contract on the Lakers and at least one on Cleveland/Houston.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but beggars can't be choosers here. I'm not exactly sure what realistic deal you guys are hoping to get for Howard at this point.

We could just hold on to him all season, and let him walk in the offseason. That, in my opinion, is more appealing than taking on Lopez, Bynum or Varejao (or whoever you are trying to toss in our laps).

Edit: I agree with Fullcourt. I am hoping we pull off a deal with Houston.

I would just like to point out some food for thought. If your a team with the best player at his position and you and (everyone else) knows you are gonna lose him, when was the last time you saw a trade in which the second best option was involved? Whats better is that not only could you have the the second best option, you could choose to pass on Bynum in favor of shedding MORE contracts, get prospects and picks so they can rebuild OKC style (let's face it, that's why Hennigan is there).

I would say thats a pretty good deal for a team with its back against the wall. But that's just me.

Tell me one thing, and give it your most honest answer to this question.

Say the Magic trade for Bynum, and he does not have any long-term contract signed and he tests the free agent market. How much better are the chances that Bynum stays with Orlando when he has options like Dallas and Cleveland coming after him?

And try to see through media BS and see the situations for what it is based on facts and history, and try to come up with your most realistic evaluation of the whole drama and just realistically see how the situation would play out.

In my opinion, the odds of keeping Bynum are better, but not that much better than the chances of Dwight re-signing. And then, like I said, take into consideration the drop in talent level going from Dwight to Bynum, and the risks in committing to Bynum's injury issues, and the loss of attachment with the Magic sending out the headliner of our team for the past decade, and going to Bynum, who's had 1 good year... not worth it to me.

You talk about rebuilding OKC style... what core player from OKC was brought in on a max contract another team? Even if trying to keep Dwight ends up with the Magic getting nothing in return, I'd rather start with a clean slate than try to build around Bynum. A big reason Hennigan was brought in was because of his ability to find talent and draft. I don't see anything in his history saying he was brought in to build around other team's stars.

• Upvote 2

Say the Magic trade for Bynum, and he does not have any long-term contract signed and he tests the free agent market. How much better are the chances that Bynum stays with Orlando when he has options like Dallas and Cleveland coming after him?

And try to see through media BS and see the situations for what it is based on facts and history, and try to come up with your most realistic evaluation of the whole drama and just realistically see how the situation would play out.

In my opinion, the odds of keeping Bynum are better, but not that much better than the chances of Dwight re-signing. And then, like I said, take into consideration the drop in talent level going from Dwight to Bynum, and the risks in committing to Bynum's injury issues, and the loss of attachment with the Magic sending out the headliner of our team for the past decade, and going to Bynum, who's had 1 good year... not worth it to me.

You talk about rebuilding OKC style... what core player from OKC was brought in on a max contract another team? Even if trying to keep Dwight ends up with the Magic getting nothing in return, I'd rather start with a clean slate than try to build around Bynum. A big reason Hennigan was brought in was because of his ability to find talent and draft. I don't see anything in his history saying he was brought in to build around other team's stars.

Honestly? The odds of the Magic keeping Bynum wouldn't be very good. I was throwing out that hypothetical under the pretense that he would stay.

In regards to rebuilding like OKC, I was talking about what OKC would do if they decide to take the other option rather than taking bynum: Let Bynum go to Houston or Cleveland and take in picks, prospects and shed an extra contract or two.

We could just hold on to him all season, and let him walk in the offseason. That, in my opinion, is more appealing than taking on Lopez, Bynum or Varejao (or whoever you are trying to toss in our laps).

Edit: I agree with Fullcourt. I am hoping we pull off a deal with Houston.

I tend to agree. Though if Orlando wasn't going to be trying to tank for a while, Bynum wouldn't be so bad to have around. I would absolutely jump ship as an Orlando fan if my team were to trade for the max contract of Brook Lopez lol.

Honestly? The odds of the Magic keeping Bynum wouldn't be very good. I was throwing out that hypothetical under the pretense that he would stay.

In regards to rebuilding like OKC, I was talking about what OKC would do if they decide to take the other option rather than taking bynum: Let Bynum go to Houston or Cleveland and take in picks, prospects and shed an extra contract or two.

Oh. Misread and thought you said the Magic should be happy with the 2nd option. Yea, probably the most realistic and best option is a 3-way with Houston. But I think Houston is going to get greedy and try to lowball their offers. Right now I'd take Lamb, Parsons, 3 picks, don't even care to get rid of contracts since we can just let them expire as we're not trying to compete soon anyways. But the most legit reports I've seen has been a pick, Lamb, and taking a contract. That doesn't sell me. Thing is, that's the offer for Dwight. I don't see Houston offering the same for Bynum. And thing is, Orlando would be getting the same back whether Houston gets Bynum or Dwight. So unless Houston changes their tune, I'd just stay put if I were Hennigan.

And you described the Magic as being beggars in this situation. I think that's way off. I think Houston and the Lakers are more desperate for this deal than the Magic. They especially are in more of a rush than the Magic.

For one, Houston needs to bring in another star, and who better to pair up with Jeremy Lin than either Dwight or Bynum. If I were them, I'd send out whoever to get Dwight to Houston. Jeremy Lin and Dwight is a duo you can build around. Jeremy Lin, Lamb, Parsons, Montiejunas... ehhhh. That'll get you 4th, 5th seed in the West eventually, at best. And they're more pressed for time because the later they bring in Dwight, the lower their chances are to keep him.

The Lakers? I see no evidence of it really, but I bet they're still worried about Bynum's injury history, and the only enthusiasm they have in signing him to a long-term max contract, is because they have no other choice because they have no other way of bringing in a player of his caliber. And if they bring in Dwight, they want to do it before the season starts, because once the season gets going, those are games Bynum could get hurt in, and if that were to happen, forget whatever deal that would be brewing. And with Kobe and Nash on their way out, I don't think they believe Bynum will be a player that you can build around and have success up to their standards. With Dwight, they can come closer to that. Which is why they're going for Dwight. Because it's one last push for championships with Kobe, and Dwight can carry them when Kobe's gone.

The biggest beggar in the situation is Dwight. Brooklyn can't sign him, L.A. can't sign him, the only options other than Orlando are Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, and Cleveland, and whatever less appealing team with cap space. If Dwight wants to go to Brooklyn or L.A., it's because the Magic are ok with it. He can go sign outright with the others, but he won't be as happy.

The Magic are very far from being the beggars here. The Magic are the ones with the player everyone wants and probably have the least pressure on them to make a deal sooner than later.

I would absolutely jump ship as an Orlando fan if my team were to trade for the max contract of Brook Lopez lol.

Without a doubt. I've made that threat before :shard:

I agree...at this point, Howard REALLY is a Magic until/unless another team blows Hennigan away or at least seems somewhat attractive. If he didn't do the the BK trade in June, he ain't doing it in August. Houston might be different because it seemed like he wanted to swing at Howard staying one last time. I honestly can't say at this point if deals will get any better. Which is why if you didn't like the conpensation before, there was a reason for it.

I agree, allowing Howard to skip at the end of the season and getting that $19+ million off the books clean and look for better cap health moving foward. Much, much, much more appealing than 75% of the trade talks exchanged thus far.

You're definitely right, could and would be a disaster....but for how long?? People gotta remember DeVos is over Hennigan and DeVos is about money. Having Dwight there is $$$$$. All the attention he'd bring negative or positive would be $$$$$. Also if you guys remember DeVos would rather have a contender now than rebuild. I'm not saying they won't or can't trade him, but I get the feeling they're still trying to get him to stay.....

If you think about it, once camp starts and we go into the season, HWNSNBU can't be around all the time. That gives us plenty of chances to attempt to sway Dwight or buy him into a trade that would benefit us and him as well. I think if it wasn't for HWNSNBU, this situation would of already been resolved. That dude is so concerned about banking on Dwight, he is totally ruining his image.

Also, just like you said with Devos making money off Dwight staying. I'm starting to think Devos is just ready for one last hoorah and is willing to just accept the freed cap space at the end of the year as opposed to rebuilding now. Who knows what will happen this year. With this new attitude we're supposed to have and our new coach, Dwight might like it and want to stay. If Henny could make moves without moving Dwight, that would def help.

1. Fine. Take a max contract Brook Lopez instead lol.

2. Three-team trade with Cleveland or Houston. Their picks and prospects vary but you can dumb one bad contract on the Lakers and at least one on Cleveland/Houston.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but beggars can't be choosers here. I'm not exactly sure what realistic deal you guys are hoping to get for Howard at this point.

You could say the same in reverse - beggars can't be choosers for the Lakers - they only get Howard via trade period. If they don't offer a good deal they don't get him,

Right now Houston has a much better offer for what the Magic want. Cleveland and LA are not making a decent offer for Howard - that could change, but it was worse than Brooklyn's offer - or I guess I should say it was garbage just like Brooklyn's offer was garbage.

As it stands I would say that Houston is definitely the front runner unless LA can come up with a lot more.

Regardless of LA wanting Howard and Howard wanting LA - it isn't going to happen with what is on the table. I think the Magic will let him walk to Dallas before taking that deal and I think Houston is going to make a play for him.

Hopefully, LA ups the offer, but I am not sure what they can do unless they move Bynum and Gasol to change how the trade would unfold - LA would move Bynum and Gasol and get Howard and a decent player in return. If they don't move Gasol they may need to try and figure something else out - Bynum to Cleveland is not getting enough out of Cleveland.

I think the Magic are in reality hoping to see if Howard can mesh with Vaughn now the Vangundy is out of the picture and hoping he likes his coaching methods and caters to his style.That just "MAYBE" Dwight will have a change of heart again and buy into Vaughn and want to resign.

The Magic will not make a move until they see if Howard and Vaughn can co-exist and see if there is true chemistry or not.Then and only then if the Magic feel that Dwight is not meshing well with Vaughn, then they can honestly say we have exhausted all measures with Howard and now is the time to move him.

But I ,like the rest of you feel that I would rather just be done with Dwight and make a decent trade with Houston.

I think the Magic are in reality hoping to see if Howard can mesh with Vaughn now the Vangundy is out of the picture and hoping he likes his coaching methods and caters to his style.That just "MAYBE" Dwight will have a change of heart again and buy into Vaughn and want to resign.

The Magic will not make a move until they see if Howard and Vaughn can co-exist and see if there is true chemistry or not.Then and only then if the Magic feel that Dwight is not meshing well with Vaughn, then they can honestly say we have exhausted all measures with Howard and now is the time to move him.

But I ,like the rest of you feel that I would rather just be done with Dwight and make a decent trade with Houston.

The problem is, it isnt so much Dwight meshing...... its will Dan HWNSNBU mesh with Vaughn or the Magic.... and we already know that answer.

So I wouldnt hold my breath on this one.

The problem is, it isnt so much Dwight meshing...... its will Dan HWNSNBU mesh with Vaughn or the Magic.... and we already know that answer.

So I wouldnt hold my breath on this one.

This. If there was ever a case for blacklisting an agent, this is it. I really think the Magic should pursue tampering or at least get the NBA involved in a clear conflict-of-interest.