Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

care to mention a few of the line items that caught your attention?

Another wrinkle in the CBA regarding trades can factor into why the Lakers want assurances the D12 will remain after the 2012-2013 season.

90. Why would teams or players want to do a sign-and-trade?

Teams benefit because they can get something in return for players they would otherwise lose to free agency. For players the benefits are limited. Under previous CBAs a player who qualified could receive a full Bird contract and go to the team of his choice, which encouraged the player to seek a sign-and-trade once he decided to play elsewhere. Under the current CBA a player receives the same contract via sign-and-trade (four years, 4.5% raises) that he could get by signing with his new team directly, and can receive a larger Bird contract only if he stays with his previous team. In addition, it is much simpler for the player to sign directly with his new team, as a sign-and-trade has to be agreed to by three parties rather than two. A player is really only forced to seek a sign-and-trade if he wants to go to a team that is capped-out (or doesn't have enough cap room to give the player his full starting salary) and can't sign him directly.

Another factor encouraging a player not to seek a sign-and-trade is that his new team might be weakened by losing players or draft picks in the trade. So while a sign-and-trade is a useful tool when the team does not have the cap room to sign the player directly, the player and his new team have little reason to seek a sign-and-trade when the player can be signed without involving his previous team.

Rockets are getting Asik, why would they want Bynum now. They would be paying a lot of money for a backup C.

The contract isn't bad. Asik can play. I'm sure they could trade him down the road if they desire. And to answer your question: they would want Bynum because he is better than Asik.

This rumor doesn't make quite as much sense to me. I understand the Rockets being willing to take on a few bad contracts and giving up some/most of their young talent in order to land Dwight. I don't fully understand them giving up close to the same thing in order to get Bynum. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush? If Bynum's willing to max out in Houston, and if Houston only has to take back Turk while giving up some prospects and picks, they're actually in good shape for the future. A core of Lin and Bynum is young, marketable and has good upside. And they wouldn't have to live with all of Orlando's bad contracts.

This rumor doesn't make quite as much sense to me. I understand the Rockets being willing to take on a few bad contracts and giving up some/most of their young talent in order to land Dwight. I don't fully understand them giving up close to the same thing in order to get Bynum. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

less risk in bynum walking away. get the second best center to pair with lin

Rockets are getting Asik, why would they want Bynum now. They would be paying a lot of money for a backup C.

having a good backup for bynum who gets injured a lot is smart

Anytime... I am going to give you more as I can.

I know LA is the front runner for Dwight. Was seen at a Dodgers game last night and is opening up to LA.

Hennigen told me (OKC GM) that he is looking to rebuild. Doesn't want contract or anyones at all. Rebuild the way OKC did. Picks and picks... He doesnt want to be good in year 1, 2, or even 3. Just get pieces each and every year.

Jordan Hill hasn't signed with the Lakers neither has Ebanks. Both told they could be in S&T. Orlando likes both.

This guy is an assitant to the GM or something but is a very very legit source.

less risk in bynum walking away. get the second best center to pair with lin

Eh, they could just sign him outright next year if he wanted to play there. They wouldn't have to give up anything or take back any **** contracts.

Eh, they could just sign him outright next year if he wanted to play there. They wouldn't have to give up anything or take back any **** contracts.

Or they can trade for him, have his bird rights, offer a fifth year and not go through the crap of other teams courting him.

If we end up with Hill, Ebanks, Lamb and one more rookie with picks and send out at least two bad deals I'll make the biggest mess in my pants this board has ever seen.

I wish Parsons could be invovled too but yeah just that alone would be pretty pretty sweet.