Live or Die Magic

The Dwight Howard Drama Unfolds

Funny thing is there's still about a dozen teams that still have the Amnesty provision, so it would be awfully funny if a team traded for Lopez and then amnestied him...

not at all unfortunately. The main stipulation for the amnesty is that the player being waived MUST have been on his team's roster continuosly beginning July 1, 2011. Teams are not able to amnesty ANY player they sign , receive in a trade, extend, or renegotiate AFTER July 1, 2011. To take it a step further, if you have a player that is up for an extension that has been on your team BEFORE July 1, 2011, once you extend that player or amend his contract in any way, he becomes INELIGIBLE for the amnesty provision.

Funny thing is there's still about a dozen teams that still have the Amnesty provision, so it would be awfully funny if a team traded for Lopez and then amnestied him...

Not possible. Even NJ can't amnesty him now.

Yeah.. Except for that whole part where you can't amnesty someone you trade for... Or that other part where the player who the amnesty was used ons contract had to have been signed before the new CBA was in place..

not at all unfortunately. The main stipulation for the amnesty is that the player being waived MUST have been on his team's roster continuosly beginning July 1, 2011. Teams are not able to amnesty ANY player they sign , receive in a trade, extend, or renegotiate AFTER July 1, 2011. To take it a step further, if you have a player that is up for an extension that has been on your team BEFORE July 1, 2011, once you extend that player or amend his contract in any way, he becomes INELIGIBLE for the amnesty provision.

Ahh didnt realize that then funny thing is they what they other guy said now they cant even amnesty that horrible contract!

Yeah.. Except for that whole part where you can't amnesty someone you trade for... Or that other part where the player who the amnesty was used ons contract had to have been signed before the new CBA was in place..

I know is crazy but if we still had it available will you imagine using it on dwight?? He will ended up been picked by either charlotte or toronto. That's a slap in the face.

I know is crazy but if we still had it available will you imagine using it on dwight?? He will ended up been picked by either charlotte or toronto. That's a slap in the face.

Nah.. He'd go right to Jersey Brooklyn.. Just because you amnesty someone doesn't mean you don't have to pay him, it just means they don't count against our team cap anymore..

Nah.. He'd go right to Jersey Brooklyn.. Just because you amnesty someone doesn't mean you don't have to pay him, it just means they don't count against our team cap anymore..

I think his point was, he'd be picked up in the waiver bidding process by one of the teams that has sufficient cap space for him. Brooklyn is most definitely NOT one of those teams.

• Upvote 1

I think his point was, he'd be picked up in the waiver bidding process by one of the teams that has sufficient cap space for him. Brooklyn is most definitely NOT one of those teams.

Yeah.. But then poor Dwight would be the victim... I love how this is playing out and his true colors are showing at the moment

Don't believe everything you read. From what I've gathered, I think they are only willing to take back Jrich and maybe Duhon. And they aren't giving us everything (their 3 picks this year, tor pick, parsons, kmart, other teams future firsts). They need to put a winner around d12 for him to stay next year. They are in the neighborhood of 1 future first (tor), k-mart and one of their rooks this year.

Keeping Turk isn't so bad. His buyout next year is about 6 million. We can trade 3 million in cash with him to a team plus an asset to land someone like (iggy or gay)....Then the team buys him out for 6 million (only 3 million of their money).

JRich is the one contract that must go. It is the longest and worst. F you Otis.

I resisted the urge to join for over two weeks, but can't hold out anymore.

The above is to me the brilliance of Henny. Dwight ruined his trade value by saying he would be a rental to anyone but BN. The packages from Houston and LA are based on Dwight as a rental. Henny waits it out. I'd imagine the conversation with Dwight was basically something along the lines of "The BN trade made absolutely no sense for the organization and wasn't close to what the Magic need to keep fans from burining down the arena. So, what do you want to do? There are a few offers out there for you as a rental, but frankly they aren't all that great either. If you'd be open to staying long term with a few teams we might be able to get something done. Otherwise, we are inclined to just keep you and try to win this year. Maybe you'll change your mind and stay long term, maybe you will pout and never suit up for us again. Bottom line is if we don't get you traded and you play out your contract, we won't be doing a sign and trade because we want max cap space in the summer of 2013 if you aren't going to be around. So if we don't trade you, there won't be a 5th year on your new contract."

No idea what that would do to Dwight's camp. I don't see rational/logical thought as their fortay. Assume for the moment that passing up the commission on an additional $20 million actually gets Fagan's attention and Dwight will state that he intends to comit long term to HOU or LA, I'd guess the return to us gets significantly better.

But here is the funny thing... even if it doesn't get better, I still think Henny pulls the trigger before camp. I've read the debate on here about keeping Dwight and just letting him walk. DOB can tell me if my math is way off, but it looks to me like if Houston will take JRich, our cap fleximibility is the same if we do a rental with Houston as it would be if we just let Dwight walk. The difference is if we do the trade we would have Parsons (Patterson makes no sense given that we have Baby and Andrew at the 4), Lamb/White and Tor's #1 instead of JRich. On the otherhand, if we do an LA rental we simply trade Dwight for Bynum and McRoberts and get the same cap space we had if Dwight simply walked... but have no future assets unless we want Bynum long term (then we would have a leg up because we could offer the 5th year).

My mental image of this production is everyone is running around trying to figure out their next move and Henny is just sitting back and waiting for it to all play out because whenever Dwight gets moved, Henny is going to end up with enough cap space for two max (or at least close to max) contracts next summer and possibly additional pieces/picks to help this franchise in the future.

Isn't it nice to think we might have the smartest guy in the room on our side for a change?

• Upvote 4