Dan Savage

First Move For Rob Hennigan?

Could Henny be pulling some scouts from OKC or maybe SA?

Very possible. I know that when I go about looking to fill positions at work I have an inclination to select guys that I have worked with in the past and am familiar with.

Very possible. I know that when I go about looking to fill positions at work I have an inclination to select guys that I have worked with in the past and am familiar with.

Well then can we fire any more scouts? lol. I like the moves we've made so far. But was Twardzik that bad?

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard

New Orlando Magic GM Rob Hennigan targeting Pistons VP of Bball Operations Scott Perry to be his Asst GM, sources say.

8 minutes ago

#InHenWeTrust

It looks like the wheels are in motion for step 2 since it sounds like Hennigan is meeting with D12 soon. I'd actually be shocked if an extension is obtained pre-draft and after one or two meetings. Not sure if Hennigan can go on a verbal if Dwight says proceed as if I am going to be here... would be too risky to allow Dwight to possibly burn him right out of the gate.

Given the urgency to win for RDV, I can't see it being reasonable in taking this draft off even if Dwight wants out.. we have to know if he is in or out and react accordingly in this draft, not next years. Waiting the year out would only prolong things when we could have made the best of this draft, and be moving in a new direction already.

Waiting till intra season to trade wouldn't make sense either as it seems we would lose leverage the closer we got to the deadline as interest from rental teams would likly redce. Unless there are no good packages pre draft or intra season, and Hennigan rides it out and let's him walk for the cap space (doubt I will come to this)..

Mr Hennigan has his hands full and lots to figure out. I am still holding on to some optimism that we keep D12, and he has just been having trouble staying on schedule with back rehab hence the extended LA stay. I think it also serves the purpose of laying extrememly low while the drama from last season gets further in the past.

If he really wants out though, then I pray for the best OKC package. If not OKC, I hope it is just somewhere out west preferably in the PST zone.

Sure, I do think that by clearing out the FO staff created by Otis, along with the release of SVG is quite clear to all including Dwight that it is a new day around here! If the Wonder Boy can sell his vision of Draft and trades to Dwight by clearing contracts, there my even be room for a Max contract surrounded by rookies to start......and this is the house that Dwight built should be the mantra of 2012-13!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well then can we fire any more scouts? lol. I like the moves we've made so far. But was Twardzik that bad?

Vázquez, FranFran Vázquez ESP PF Unicaja Málaga (Spain)

2005 2 38 Diener, TravisTravis Diener USA PG/SG Marquette

2005 2 44 Andriuškevičius, MartynasMartynas Andriuškevičius LTU C Žalgiris (Lithuania) (from Cleveland,[15] traded to Cleveland)[16]

2006 1 11 Redick, J. J.J. J. Redick USA SG Duke

2006 2 41 Augustine, JamesJames Augustine USA PF Illinois

2006 2 44 Eliyahu, LiorLior Eliyahu ISR SF Hapoel Galil Elyon (Israel) (from Cleveland,[16] traded to Houston)[17]

2007 2 44 Terry, ReyshawnReyshawn Terry USA SF North Carolina (traded to Dallas)[18]

2008 1 22 Lee, CourtneyCourtney Lee USA SG Western Kentucky

2010 1 29 Orton, DanielDaniel Orton USA C Kentucky

2010 2 59 Robinson, StanleyStanley Robinson USA SF Connecticut

2011 2 53 Liggins, DeAndre

You be the judge....lots of picks and lots of garbage! Unscouted players who didnt even work out for us (because we didnt want to tip our hand...LOL). He was doing an awful job and shoud have been let go immediately after bungling the Vasquez pick. That was inexcusable. He was still pulling the same stupid moves even up to the Orton pick who had a known injury issue and poor work ethic. Well at least the teams who interviewed him knew this. Dave needed to go nearly as bad as the former gm (I really want to say his name but since the shock therapy and water boarding Ive learned to refrain).

Vázquez, FranFran Vázquez ESP PF Unicaja Málaga (Spain)

2005 2 38 Diener, TravisTravis Diener USA PG/SG Marquette

2005 2 44 Andriuškevičius, MartynasMartynas Andriuškevičius LTU C Žalgiris (Lithuania) (from Cleveland,[15] traded to Cleveland)[16]

2006 1 11 Redick, J. J.J. J. Redick USA SG Duke

2006 2 41 Augustine, JamesJames Augustine USA PF Illinois

2006 2 44 Eliyahu, LiorLior Eliyahu ISR SF Hapoel Galil Elyon (Israel) (from Cleveland,[16] traded to Houston)[17]

2007 2 44 Terry, ReyshawnReyshawn Terry USA SF North Carolina (traded to Dallas)[18]

2008 1 22 Lee, CourtneyCourtney Lee USA SG Western Kentucky

2010 1 29 Orton, DanielDaniel Orton USA C Kentucky

2010 2 59 Robinson, StanleyStanley Robinson USA SF Connecticut

2011 2 53 Liggins, DeAndre

You be the judge....lots of picks and lots of garbage! Unscouted players who didnt even work out for us (because we didnt want to tip our hand...LOL). He was doing an awful job and shoud have been let go immediately after bungling the Vasquez pick. That was inexcusable. He was still pulling the same stupid moves even up to the Orton pick who had a known injury issue and poor work ethic. Well at least the teams who interviewed him knew this. Dave needed to go nearly as bad as the former gm (I really want to say his name but since the shock therapy and water boarding Ive learned to refrain).

Your list of "busts" is unrealistic. He completely bungled the Vasquez pick, obviously. The next 2 picks in JJ and Lee were quite good. The rest of the guys on your list is 1 pick taken with the second to last pick in the first round and the rest are second rounders.....and late second rounders at that. Let's focus on the management flaws that actually did exist instead of manufacturing ones.

Or, we could just focus on the present and the future. I know, crazy talk.

You also conveniently left Gortat off of your list even though we just discussed him a few days ago during another one of your "management sucks" tirades.

Your list of "busts" is unrealistic. He completely bungled the Vasquez pick, obviously. The next 2 picks in JJ and Lee were quite good. The rest of the guys on your list is 1 pick taken with the second to last pick in the first round and the rest are second rounders.....and late second rounders at that. Let's focus on the management flaws that actually did exist instead of manufacturing ones.

Or, we could just focus on the present and the future. I know, crazy talk.

Talk to the hand....or Alex Kennedy himself

Why don’t they have the pieces. Look at their draft since 2004: First rounders are Fran Vazquez (11 overall), J.J. Redick (11), Courtney Lee (22) and Daniel Orton (29). That’s just four first round picks in seven years and only one who panned out for them (Redick, although Lee had moments). The second rounders are all misses. By the way, who was drafted after Orton in 2010? Landry Fields, Devin Ebanks, Jerome Jordan, Luke Harangody and Jeremy Evans (not rock stars, but guys who might contribute).

Why the problem? Alex Kennedy has details at Hoopsworld that should make the stomachs of Magic fans turn (read the whole post about what the Magic need to do next).

The main reason that Orlando hasn’t been able to draft contributors is because they don’t put much time or effort into the pre-draft process.

When Orlando drafted Orton, they hadn’t seen him work out in person. Nearly every other team in the league had witnessed Orton struggle in workouts and knew of his knee issues. The Magic selected him sight unseen, and Orton isn’t the exception. Justin Harper had never met or interviewed with Orlando before they traded for his draft rights last year.

Rival executives openly joke about the Magic’s approach to the pre-draft process. Most teams interview and work out everyone on their draft board. Some teams will even bring in a player multiple times to make sure they have a good read on his personality and game. The Magic’s lack of preparation has hurt them and a new regime must have a better approach to the draft.

You also conveniently left Gortat off of your list even though we just discussed him a few days ago during another one of your "management sucks" tirades.

Oh how I wish we still had Gortat at backup C. Hell, I wish we had ANYONE at backup C.