Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Dwight Trade Scenarios

You want to keep Dwight here. We need a point guard with this write up:

Courtesy of NBA Draft Net:

Strengths: A brilliant, "natural" floor general ... Understands how to control the flow of the game ... Makes his teammates better ... Has the height and offensive awareness to see the entire court at all times ... Always dribbles with his head up ... Rewards teammates when they run the court ... Makes throwing outlet passes look effortless ... Has a very advanced sense of timing ... Understands when to slow or speed up the tempo of the game ... A creative passer that also manages to be efficient ... Low turnover rate ... Operates equally well when running or playing in half-court sets ... Already knows the nuances of making good post-entry passes ... Can throw a highly accurate lob pass from anywhere on his team's half of the court ... Handles the basketball very well ... Wastes no movement and doesn't over-dribble (which is rare in young point guards) ... Is a good penetrator, despite his average speed ... Great reaction time and anticipation allows his to see plays before they develop ... Extremely high basketball IQ ... Smart defender that is capable of staying in front of his man ... Great size for a point guard, standing 6'4" ... Might be the best passer in the college game ...

That be Kendall Marshall. Magic need to trade up and get him. Thats what a write up of a real pass first PG should look like. If Dwight stays we dont need points at the PG position. J Kidd and Rondo are learned to put the ball in the hoop as they got older anyways. The only thing that concerns me is his foot speed to defend a Westbrook type.

Lets get it done and get the Anti-Jameer

On Doug Gottlieb's Insider article he said "Don't take Kendall Marshall" and "Instead take Scott Machado". Here's his Marshall breakdown:

Marshall is a very adept passer, especially in a full-court transition game. In many ways, Marshall's passing and ability to make others look good are distracting. By that I mean that the gorgeous looks he provides his teammates can mask his lack of burst, lack of defensive prowess and inability to score at the rim. Think of the top NBA point guards -- Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Tony Parker. Getting to the rim is paramount to being a starter, as is the ability to penetrate the defense while on offense. Additionally, backup point guards in the NBA are usually converted scoring guards who come in with the game plan of picking up their mark 94 feet from the basket, pressuring the ball and attacking on offense. This does not bode well for Marshall on defense, and offensively, he is not really a guard who uses ball screens all that well.

It is true that Rondo, Parker and even backups like Eric Bledsoe come in with the rep of non-shooters, but they are so quick and athletic that they can get into the defense. Marshall doesn't have either ability.

First and foremost, I wish ESPN would go back to reporting the news and covering the events that are happening instead of trying to make the news and remake every league they cover. If I were the commissioner, I would look to get a new broadcast partner. I think ESPN has been bad for the NBA because it generally ignores or trashes 90 percent of its teams in the name of the ratings.

But about the proposals, I don't really like any of those deals.

The Clippers deal looks good at first blush, but you have to take back Jordan's huge contract and a lot of old players. Jordan is a pretty good player -- but not for what he's paid. Make the Clippers deal with that contract since they signed it.

The Lakers deal is OK -- if you could do a three-way and send Gasol someplace else. Not because I don't like Gasol but because I don't think he's want to play here (he's already said he wants to go to Chicago). And, I don't know if Bynum is quick enough to try to defend Wade and James for four games a season (and maybe the playoffs). All in all, though, I think the Magic still get the worse part of the deal.

The other two deals flat out stink, and I don't want anything to do with them.

The Clippers couldn't sell out consistently last season when Griffin was their featured player, despite being in a metro area more than 6x the population of Orlando. The idea that Griffin will sell a substantial enough amount of tickets to justify a horrific, franchise crippling trade flies completely in the face of even the most basic observations of reality.

Not to mention the fact that they didn't make the playoffs. You're not going to sell out games unless you at least make the playoffs -- and after a year or so of that, you'd better be pretty good in the playoffs.

Some consider Blake to be Amare 2.0 I remember the days Amare could jump out of the gym was able to beat everyone because of his pure young athleticism. Not saying Blake will go down the same path, but if you dont like Amare, you may want to consider what you may be getting.

On Doug Gottlieb's Insider article he said "Don't take Kendall Marshall" and "Instead take Scott Machado". Here's his Marshall breakdown:

Good point. As I mentioned in my post I was concerned about his foot speed and quickness which appears to be the concern here. My point in all this is if D12 stays, we need a point guard that is pass first that can make everyone better. If D12 leaves then we need to decide whether we take the Rose, Westbrook PG scorer route or the other route.

Good point. As I mentioned in my post I was concerned about his foot speed and quickness which appears to be the concern here. My point in all this is if D12 stays, we need a point guard that is pass first that can make everyone better. If D12 leaves then we need to decide whether we take the Rose, Westbrook PG scorer route or the other route.

Yeah I mean, I don't watch much college basketball so I don't really comment on many of the recruits, just the ones I've done a little research on. And I wasn't disagreeing with your proposal, just trying to contribute to the ongoing conversion with the article.

Frankly, this is the first scouting report on Marshall that I've read.

The Blazers could offer 6 n 11....The Rockets could offer 14,16,lowry, and Kevin Martin......

I personally like the Houston deal better because we could trade Martin to Tor for the 8th pick.....Rumor has it they are looking to trade it for an established vet....

If we do the Houston deal, we could trade one or more picks to move higher up or trade for future picks......

If we have to trade Dwight his worked in the checker

Houston out:

Dally

Scola

Lowry

KMart

#14 & 16

Orlando out:

Howard

Turk

Duhon

JRich

IMO both teams get something they want:

Houston gets value for Lowry and gets Howard and still gets a pick

Orlando gets some decent players, and extra pick in a good draft, and loses Turk, JRich and Duhon's deals. Then we flip Martin and Anderson S&T for the best picks we can get.. 4 picks in the 1st 16... maybe we get lucky and trade Andrrson and a pick for a low pick? We let Nelson walk unless he resigns cheap.

Should leave us some decent money for FAs and lots of future cap.

We get rid of <quote A Jameered Dwightmare> 6. All softies, non-ball handlers, and guys who lack a killer instinct and are fat and happy need to go. This means Nelson, Hedo, Anderson, Duhon, and J-Rich.</quote>

If we have to trade Dwight his worked in the checker

I'm not quoting your entire idiotic trade.

As a general rule:

If your trade requires multiple other trades to be remotely decent, then your trade isn't good. It's awful.

And the trade you just posted is, in essence, "trade a few bad contracts for one, longer bad contract and expirings, and turn Dwight Howard and the 19th pick into Lowry and 2 slightly earlier picks"

• Upvote 1

Actually after flipping Martin for a pick we end up with a good PG, expirings, 2 extra 1st rounders, and get rid of everybody we don't want. This gives our new GM lots of flexibillity to bring in people that want to play hard for our new coach and lots of future cap room.

Just curious DOM, if we have to trade Dwight what do you have in mind?

Actually after flipping Martin for a pick we end up with a good PG, expirings, 2 extra 1st rounders, and get rid of everybody we don't want. This gives our new GM lots of flexibillity to bring in people that want to play hard for our new coach and lots of future cap room.

Just curious DOM, if we have to trade Dwight what do you have in mind?

why would anyone take martin for a pick? first of all a team has to be under the cap to absorb the salary. And there are only a handful of teams under the cap. (why would a sucky team give a pick for a player like Kevin Martin. Answer: nobody). And if you say Okay just match salaries, then you're most likely taking in more salary or a worse player to get the pick. so what does that accomplish? nothing.

2nd of all, Luis Scola has 3 years left avg 10mil a season. Where is the cap relief? Dalembert is guaranteed 1.5mil and Lowry is guaranteed 1mil in 14. If we don't pick up their options, wth was the point of trading for them? we still have to pay those minimum amounts. Furthermore, when we do pick up their options, it guarantees that our team will be just below mediocre. Basically, we'd be the rockets who were what, the 9th seed out west? Where is this mythical cap space and flexibility? we're better off not making a trade, and letting Howard walk. Then our old contracts expire (while making us a sucky team, so 2 for 1) and we cross our fingers to get a #1 pick.

That trade accomplishes nothing and certainly doesn't accomplish what you think it does.

edit: Not to mention you have to pay those picks guaranteed amounts but they aren't high enough picks thus decreasing the chances for a superstar or even all star. I hope our draft record changes but we won't know until we see who the GM is.

Ibn Battuta

"2nd of all, Luis Scola has 3 years left avg 10mil a season. Where is the cap relief? ",/quote>

Well let's see... we lose the salaries of Dwight 19M, Nelson 7M, Turk 11M, Duhon 3.5M, JRich 6M, & whatever we S&T Anderson for about 7M=53.5M out

and we take in Scola 10M, Dally 7M, Lowry 6M, and some rookie deals= maybe 27-30M. I'm no mathematical genius... I'm just guessing, but it looks to me like we just dumped about 23-26M in salary. Even if we kept Martin as a 13M expiring it looks like we still save 10-13M with 20M from Dally and Martin coming off the books for 2014. we could go into 2014 with only Baby 6.4M and Scola 10M=16M and some rookie deals and possibly QRich's 2.8M PO on the books! I could be wrong but that sure looks like cap relief to me.

Ibn Battuta

(why would a sucky team give a pick for a player like Kevin Martin. Answer: nobody)</quote>

I know he sucks but he DID put up 17 a game last year and hit almost 90% from the line... how many guys did we have on the Magic last season that averaged 17PPG and hit 90% from the line? There must be a team or 2 that would part with a pick for a veteran 13m expiring scorer that put up those numbers.