OrlandoMagicFan1234

Dwight wants trade after season is over

I played an entire season with a herniated disk that Jewiit recommended surgery for during my junior year of high school, and I wasn't being paid 20mil a season to play.

No offense, man, but I can't take it seriously when you are comparing high school basketball to the NBA. I just can't. A whole lot of people played high school basketball. Very few people get to play in the NBA. The power of NBA players -- and the fact that they play so often for so long -- it makes a huge difference.

In addition, the location of the disk might be a key difference, too. Dwight's surgeon is one of the very best in the entire country.

• Upvote 1

Didn't realize you had 7 foot, 300 pound men smashing into your back for 40 minutes a game or that your livelyhood was based very heavily on your back's health.

But I applaud your bravery, great warrior! :bobafett:

"About 50% of people with a herniated disc in the low back recover within 1 month. And within 6 months, 96% recover. Only 10% of people with herniated disc problems that cause noticeable symptoms eventually have surgery."

It's all relative. I was not playing against grown men, nor was I a grown man physically trained to perform against other grown men.

I also was not paid (handsomely) to perform and chose instead to play through a severe injury for the love of the game. Mostly because herniated disk pain can be managed and played through in nearly all circumstances. It really boils down to desire.

Let's not get this twisted. Dwight chose to have surgery at a very convenient time for himself, and a very inconvenient time for his teammates. Not because the injury is career threatening,not because next season will be lost if he doesn't attend to the injury ASAP, but because he doesn't have the heart to compete when faced with adversity. He has demonstrated this time and again on the court, and this year has demonstrated it in spades off the court.

• Upvote 1

"About 50% of people with a herniated disc in the low back recover within 1 month. And within 6 months, 96% recover. Only 10% of people with herniated disc problems that cause noticeable symptoms eventually have surgery."

It's all relative. I was not playing against grown men, nor was I a grown man physically trained to perform against other grown men.

I also was not paid (handsomely) to perform and chose instead to play through a severe injury for the love of the game. Mostly because herniated disk pain can be managed and played through in nearly all circumstances. It really boils down to desire.

Let's not get this twisted. Dwight chose to have surgery at a very convenient time for himself, and a very inconvenient time for his teammates. Not because the injury is career threatening,not because next season will be lost if he doesn't attend to the injury ASAP, but because he doesn't have the heart to compete when faced with adversity. He has demonstrated this time and again on the court, and this year has demonstrated it in spades off the court.

Even by your own stats he is 50/50 for playing in a month. Id sooner be willing to take the opinion of one of the best in the world who has dedicated his whole life to treating disc injuries over statistics from someone who has never seen Dwight's MRI or any other tests doctors have performed. Realistically I bet the Magic would too. I dont think old man Devos wants to re-up a guy to 100 plus million and then have a back injury end his career but not his contract. Weve been down that road before havent we? It is totally inappropriate for you to question Dwight's commitment and say he and the best in the world performed needless surgery because Dwight didnt feel like playing. You have no right to call him out without knowing what his medical condition. Sure he has handled things poorly this year but no one volunteers to have back surgery just for $hits and giggles. You are totally out of line!

Now if you want to tell me 100% of the gms in the league are better than Otis and therefore you would be better than Otis...no question...Im on board with that even if you are under 9 years old, blind and have an awful case of diarrhea.

We must trade Dwight Howard this offseason, it is obvious he does not want to stay, relations between him and Magic won't be repaired. We must get as much as we can in return...Unfortunatelly we won't get Bynum for him anymore...I wish we have traded him to L.A. as it was rumored...now I don't know...Even Nets can't offer too much now...hopefully they get really high draft pick...

Even by your own stats he is 50/50 for playing in a month. Id sooner be willing to take the opinion of one of the best in the world who has dedicated his whole life to treating disc injuries over statistics from someone who has never seen Dwight's MRI or any other tests doctors have performed. Realistically I bet the Magic would too. I dont think old man Devos wants to re-up a guy to 100 plus million and then have a back injury end his career but not his contract. Weve been down that road before havent we? It is totally inappropriate for you to question Dwight's commitment and say he and the best in the world performed needless surgery because Dwight didnt feel like playing. You have no right to call him out without knowing what his medical condition. Sure he has handled things poorly this year but no one volunteers to have back surgery just for $hits and giggles. You are totally out of line!

Now if you want to tell me 100% of the gms in the league are better than Otis and therefore you would be better than Otis...no question...Im on board with that even if you are under 9 years old, blind and have an awful case of diarrhea.

The stats demonstrate that half of all people diagnosed with a herniated disk recover fully within 1 month without requiring surgery. This does not speak to the amount of time that it would take Dwight to recover and play without surgery, as you misinterpreted. It speaks to the lack of severity that this type of injury represents in its entirety. Does it hurt like heck? Yes. Does it require treatment? Yes. Is it a career ending, dabilitating injury that will grow more severe without immediate surgery when you're Dwight's age? No!

A herniated disk, plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, etc, are all convenient excuses for modern day athletes to place more importance on preserving their paycheck rather than competing with bumps and bruises. Do I have a PHD as an orthopedist to accurately diagnose a herniated disk when someone complains of backpain? Nope. But as somebody that has now herniated 6 disks from my neck down to my lower back, I can sure as heck tell you everything you need to know about treatment options, surgical options, recovery time, etc. Once you've lived it first hand for 20 years and sponged info from dozens of doctors on the subject, it makes you every bit the expert as the person that has studied it for 20 years.

Dwight punked out on his teammates and this city this year. Plain and simple. Keep in mind, Dwight is the centerpiece of my sig for a reason. It's because I once thought that he stood for all the good, admirable things he professed to believe in. Now, I think he has turned into just another weak, spoiled, emotionally under-developed, cry baby, diva like the majority of his NBA associates.

I have seen plenty of high school basketball and played a little myself, and I definitely do not see guys pounding on one another like they do in the NBA.

I also have seen guys with bad disks who can barely move, much less play basketball.

I don't question an injury -- especially when someone undergoes surgery. Especially knowing that it also is going to cost him a chance to compete in the Olympics this summer. Especially when that guy missed almost no games over 8 years despite playing big minutes. He has banked plenty of trust there.

It's also easy to play Internet assassin anonymously on a message board. Not so curiously with a name like "Smack Daddy."

You can question some of the ways Dwight has handled his free agency. But no one gets cut on when he doesn't need it.

The stats demonstrate that half of all people diagnosed with a herniated disk recover fully within 1 month without requiring surgery. This does not speak to the amount of time that it would take Dwight to recover and play without surgery, as you misinterpreted. It speaks to the lack of severity that this type of injury represents in its entirety. Does it hurt like heck? Yes. Does it require treatment? Yes. Is it a career ending, dabilitating injury that will grow more severe without immediate surgery when you're Dwight's age? No!

A herniated disk, plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, etc, are all convenient excuses for modern day athletes to place more importance on preserving their paycheck rather than competing with bumps and bruises. Do I have a PHD as an orthopedist to accurately diagnose a herniated disk when someone complains of backpain? Nope. But as somebody that has now herniated 6 disks from my neck down to my lower back, I can sure as heck tell you everything you need to know about treatment options, surgical options, recovery time, etc. Once you've lived it first hand for 20 years and sponged info from dozens of doctors on the subject, it makes you every bit the expert as the person that has studied it for 20 years.

Dwight punked out on his teammates and this city this year. Plain and simple. Keep in mind, Dwight is the centerpiece of my sig for a reason. It's because I once thought that he stood for all the good, admirable things he professed to believe in. Now, I think he has turned into just another weak, spoiled, emotionally under-developed, cry baby, diva like the majority of his NBA associates.

come on man....

I have seen plenty of high school basketball and played a little myself, and I definitely do not see guys pounding on one another like they do in the NBA.

I also have seen guys with bad disks who can barely move, much less play basketball.

I don't question an injury -- especially when someone undergoes surgery. Especially knowing that it also is going to cost him a chance to compete in the Olympics this summer. Especially when that guy missed almost no games over 8 years despite playing big minutes. He has banked plenty of trust there.

It's also easy to play Internet assassin anonymously on a message board. Not so curiously with a name like "Smack Daddy."

You can question some of the ways Dwight has handled his free agency. But no one gets cut on when he doesn't need it.

I'm not saying Dwight doesn't need surgery. But it could have been postponed until the postseason concluded. That's the beauty of disk injuries. 90% of the time treatment is all that is required to nullify the injury. Typically you don't perform surgery until 2-3 months of treatment first. So why the rush to go under the knife? Especially when surgical recovery time for this procedure maxes out at 4-6 weeks, and that is for the average citizen, not a physical specimen like Dwight.

The timing and immediacy of all this is really peculiar. His complete and utter absence on any front in the wake of one of the Magic's biggest emotional victories in years is telling.

I'm not saying Dwight doesn't need surgery. But it could have been postponed until the postseason concluded. That's the beauty of disk injuries. 90% of the time treatment is all that is required to nullify the injury. Typically you don't perform surgery until 2-3 months of treatment first. So why the rush to go under the knife? Especially when surgical recovery time for this procedure maxes out at 4-6 weeks, and that is for the average citizen, not a physical specimen like Dwight.

The timing and immediacy of all this is really peculiar.

What timing? Like 3-4 days after he posted a 20-20 game? He rested for a few games then tried to play again and couldn't. Take the tinfoil hat off.

I think we trade Dwight this offseason anyway,If he doesn't sign longterm this summer,there's no way we go through another season of Dwightmare and be the laughing stock of the league next year again.Devos will demand a longterm ext. or he will trade him and move on.

I think we trade Dwight this offseason anyway,If he doesn't sign longterm this summer,there's no way we go through another season of Dwightmare and be the laughing stock of the league next year again.Devos will demand a longterm ext. or he will trade him and move on.

Disagree. We hold him to the trade deadline, see if the new GM can bring in some help. If he can't, make one last run.

and then lose him for nothing? he does not want to play for Magic any more. this relations can not be repaired. he must be traded. better in offseason, to avoid all this distraction again...