Franchero MVP

Van Gundy - voted least popular coach in NBA

He didnt make Ish 2nd string. Something was wrong with Duhons knee. The report that came out said Duhon would be back after getting the test for his knee.

I don't think that was the case. At least, these aren't the reasons Stan gave for flip-flopping.

...but Van Gundy kept Smith in that role [2nd string] for Tuesday's loss against the Washington Wizards despite Duhon's availability.

"Ish, he played well," Van Gundy said prior to tipoff of Tuesday's game, according to Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel. "We're giving him a chance to play."

Then later, after Duhon replaced Ish in Cleveland:

“I loved the way that Ish had played,” Van Gundy said. “He still may play a role here. When we’re struggling, I wanted to go back to veteran guys. I think Ish penetrates the ball very well — maybe better than Chris right now — but I think we get better organization on the floor with Chris, which helps the other guys play well.”

I'm quoting Shaq because I think the nickname is hilarious and spot on. I don't personally like Shaq.

I don't think you should use Detroit game as an argument because even Stan was praising Ish for his great play that game. In fact, he was so impressed with him after that game he made in 2nd string (temporarily).

The only argument that I see that's valid is that because Duhon is a better shooter, it helps us spread the floor better. But the guy doesn't even want to shoot! I mean, the guy had 0 FG attempts yesterday. You'd think that if you're shooting 40% you'd at least shoot a couple. His play is despicable.

Let me ask you something if you and I are playing 2 on 2 basketball and you have a choice between guarding me in the post(where I am dominant by the way, dominant! Like a hybrid of Hakeem and Godzilla)/sagging into the lane to clog the paint or staying at home with your man who is a career 33% shooter what are you going to do? Now if I change my teammate to a guy who shoots 40% what are you going to do?

Stan was praising Ish because he along with the rest of the team played with great energy and effort and he absolutely has that over Duhon. Knowing that why do you think he went back to Duhon? Does Stan want to lose? Is that a likely reason? Does he just really love Duhon? The same guy that comes late to practice and has to be suspended by the team? Is it possible (and I know this is really a reach here) that Ish just isn't very good?

Stan's ability to adjust ended with the Cleveland series. He made some great adjustments there, I admit that. After that, his adjustments have been garbage.

Why did they end there? Because you said they did? Did he forget how to call for a sub? Has Brendan Malone taped him to his chair?

I don't think that was the case. At least, these aren't the reasons Stan gave for flip-flopping.

Then later, after Duhon replaced Ish in Cleveland:

" but I think we get better organization on the floor with Chris, which helps the other guys play well.”

Better organization as in spacing? I can't imagine how that could be the case.

Let me ask you something if you and I are playing 2 on 2 basketball and you have a choice between guarding me in the post(where I am dominant by the way, dominant! Like a hybrid of Hakeem and Godzilla)/sagging into the lane to clog the paint or staying at home with your man who is a career 33% shooter what are you going to do? Now if I change my teammate to a guy who shoots 40% what are you going to do?

I've already posted that I agree with your first argument; this is the only reason I can see Stan doing this. He spreads the floor better. But the funny thing is, Duhon doesn't take advantage of it. He's timid and weak.

Is it possible (and I know this is really a reach here) that Ish just isn't very good?

He's not an All-star by any means, but he certainly is better than Duhon at most things, including passing, initiating an offense, and penetrating. Duhon can barely get the ball past half-court most of the time. I don't even think Duhon is a better defender to be quite honest.

I tell you what I'll bite. I watched the game against Detroit, now granted my one game isn't the massive sample size of 3 or 4 that the rest of you seem to feel is valid but I will just work with what I've got. In that Det game I watched Ish on offense where his primary weapon was a floater that had little chance of going in. This is a poor low percentage shot that may as well be a turn over. I watched him on D where he ran around really fast! And managed to lose players he was guarding and be out of place on D. In other words Duhon is terrible, Ish is terrible in a different way. What you don't seem to get is terrible in a different way doesn't equal a positive, it's the same thing. Ish run's around faster but what good is that if he isn't in the right spot? Is it better because he looks like he cares more? I have no doubt that he does care more, what I do doubt is on a team that has lost 2 of it's primary offensive weapons how does it benefit us to remove a 40% 3pt shooter from the floor? If you guys thought we were a jump shooting team before what the hell are we now with Dwight on the bench?

But please, don't let any of that stop you from quoting Shaq when referring to Stan as though Shaq is some genius.

Shooting 40% from the 3 only helps when you actually shoot the ball, which Duhon has seemed to be afraid to so. I would not call Ish terrible since he is young and has not broken through on the NBA level. Does he have a lot to learn, yes and yes his D needs improvement, but in the games were he has rec'd more than 10 minutes playing time he is average 7 pts, 4 assts and a TO a game and rebound well for a little guy. Not bad for a terrible PT. I am not wasting my time with Duhons stats. If they are better, I will eat my crow.

I am not saying Ish is the answer, but Duhon is not the answer. Sample size and all, Ish has played well enough to earn playing time. See what he can do...

I've already posted that I agree with your first argument; this is the only reason I can see Stan doing this. He spreads the floor better. But the funny thing is, Duhon doesn't take advantage of it. He's timid and weak.

He's not an All-star by any means, but he certainly is better than Duhon at most things, including passing, initiating an offense, and penetrating. Duhon can barely get the ball past half-court most of the time. I don't even think Duhon is a better defender to be quite honest.

By being in the right space on D he is allowing his teammates to be in their correct space on D...instead of covering for someone else.

You missed my point about the shooting. The fact that Duhon can hit the 3 at a high percentage is what creates the spacing, the defense has to honor that, they don't need to honor that with a guy that shoots in the low 30's at best.

Shooting 40% from the 3 only helps when you actually shoot the ball, which Duhon has seemed to be afraid to so. I would not call Ish terrible since he is young and has not broken through on the NBA level. Does he have a lot to learn, yes and yes his D needs improvement, but in the games were he has rec'd more than 10 minutes playing time he is average 7 pts, 4 assts and a TO a game and rebound well for a little guy. Not bad for a terrible PT. I am not wasting my time with Duhons stats. If they are better, I will eat my crow.

I am not saying Ish is the answer, but Duhon is not the answer. Sample size and all, Ish has played well enough to earn playing time. See what he can do...

If we were talking about a team that was thinking about the future and developing a player was the main focus then yes I agree with you. I think most of us are realistic enough to understand this team isn't winning a title, try telling that to the coach that is fanatical about winning and the players that are playing their tails off without their "leader."

By being in the right space on D he is allowing his teammates to be in their correct space on D...instead of covering for someone else.

You missed my point about the shooting. The fact that Duhon can hit the 3 at a high percentage is what creates the spacing, the defense has to honor that, they don't need to honor that with a guy that shoots in the low 30's at best.

I didn't miss the point at all. I understood your point, and it was the same point I was trying to make. It spreads the opposing teams defense when you have a guy who can shoot the 3 at a great percentage. That's why I said that this was the only good argument for playing Duhon over Ish.

I didn't miss the point at all. I understood your point, and it was the same point I was trying to make. It spreads the opposing teams defense when you have a guy who can shoot the 3 at a great percentage. That's why I said that this was the only good argument for playing Duhon over Ish.

Hes also Defensively better.

I truly believe Ish is a better player than Duhon and there is no doubt that he is more athletic but, in the past couple weeks I have come to understand and accept that Duhon is just the better fit right now for what Stan is trying to do. Stan feels comfortable with him in the game whereas he knows Ish will be just using his athletic ability to improvise besides basic pick n roll. Now, I despise Duhon's play with every fiber in my body and believe Ish should play despite the aforementioned reasoning but, I understand that he won't. I will still post my one or two reactionary complaints about Duhon in game threads though. It's hard to rid of those. As far as defense between the two, if anything, they are about the same.

1:40 Ish Smith stays in front of his man and get's a nice block. 1:20 He gets to the basket with a spin move. A layup is definitely a high percentage shot.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/wizards/2012/04/10/0021100852_orl_was_recap.nba

Same game. Fakes the defense for a layup. Also a high percentage shot.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/wizards/2012/04/10/0021100852_orl_was_play4.nba

I believe that if the two are on the team next year, Stan will start Ish over Duhon. By then he will have had time to learn all that he needs to learn and we will be able to continue to better himself with more practice during the non-condensed season where he can actually make adjustments according to what Stan has observed during his play. So, for now, Go Magic! Hope these next games prove to be just as entertaining as these last few.

Is it possible (and I know this is really a reach here) that Ish just isn't very good?

nonsense...I've read all these posts that Ish is amazing so he has to be really really good! right?