Beast From The East

Breaking News :Turk Out Three Weeks With Facial Fractures

Since Von is going to play anyway because of our injuries, I think we should play Von with D12 instead of Baby at C. He has a quick first step, just can't finish. Let Howard clean up his misses at the rim.

Since Von is going to play anyway because of our injuries, I think we should play Von with D12 instead of Baby at C. He has a quick first step, just can't finish. Let Howard clean up his misses at the rim.

You would really rely on generating some offense this way?

(incoming rant)

Liggins? Harper? ORTON??

*sigh*

I swear there's this widespread, logical fallacy that convinces fans to think that playing a different player, as long as they're young (relatively speaking) and unproven, will translate to greater success. Forget that said young player has yet to demonstrate that he deserves consistent rotation minutes in an extremely limited roster. Who cares if he's appears,at best, to be an ordinary prospect with limited qualities? Maybe if we just play him, he'll unexpectedly transform into a player he undeniably lacks the capacity to become!

Ultimately, it all goes back to how badly I dread the term "potential", because if highlighting potential means outwardly dismissing all of said young player's negative qualities in lieu of some hidden, unfathomable trait that even our damn COACH can't see, then screw potential. I'd rather not care for potential, because potential places emphasis on what might become, rather than what's actually there...in front of your. damn. EYES.

More importantly, potential is the central driving force behind the "DeAndre Liggins fallacy" (Name suggestions are welcomed). It is what gives light to ideas like: "Hey, let's pick up Gerald Green! He's uber-athletic and hasn't had the chance to shine. Plus, he's still young!" or more pertinently, "Ish Smith needs playing time. He may not be able to shoot like Puhon, but he's only gonna get better." It even convinced certain fans to contemplate trading our hyper-efficient PF for an inefficient chucker in hopes of becoming something he's yet to demonstrate in seven previous NBA seasons. Yes!

To the Green/Smith examples I respond, No. They're not. It isn't a foregone conclusion, and that's kind of the whole reason why it's called "potential". It's like that scene in Pursuit of Happyness where Smith's kid confuses "probably" with " possibly". In this case, fans view potential as a probable result rather than a possible one. It's also based on the premise of youth, which is one of the frustratingly relative terms in mankind's brief history. Because Wafer's still a relatively young prospect, but Redick has peaked (one year difference). Or claiming that Josh Smith is just the kind of youth we'd need on this team, despite the fact that he'd be supplanting two younger players (Ryan and Davis). At this point I'd be satisfied if people just outwardly stated they don't know what the hell they're referring to, because it sure as hell isn't "youth". And campaigning PT for Wafer/Harper/Orton/Liggins by claiming that one of the youngest teams in the league is in need of an infusion of "young blood" is just another way of saying, "I have no feasible suggestions for roster change, I just wanna see something new."

And that's really all it is. Fans get tired of seeing a certain product on the floor, and just wanna shake things up. It drives me crazy to see comments like "we gotta make a trade" as if any trade is at worst, a lateral move. It's similar with shaking up rotations. I don't think Turk or J-Rich are championship-caliber starters, or that Chris Duhon is fit to utter Reece Gaines' name in public, but this presumptuous, know-it-all mentality that promotes shake ups and then subsequently blames coaching/management for lacking foresight, is cancerous and one the main reasons I can't stand this forum anymore.

are you really trying to type an essay or a report in this for this forum? Just Get to the Point already instead of this long essay. but good job anyways.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

are you really trying to type an essay or a report in this for this forum? Just Get to the Point already instead of this long essay. but good job anyways.

Long passionate posts like that are what make for good basketball discussion on a forum.