Sign in to follow this  
Avante

Vote of Confidence: Stan Van Gundy

Stan Van Gundy  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Stan Van Gundy

• Fire this man. Terrible coach that can't adjust and cost us the '09 finals.
    • I'm OK with this guy. Not a bad coach, not an elite coach. Middle of the pack.
    • I'm good with Stan. Brings out a lot in his players; there are no good coaches out there to sign.
    • Fire Otis first

I think it is safe to say not many of us have major issues with a majority of what stan does. in my opinion, he is an elite coach who utilizes strengths of the roster and is a little hesitant giving rookies time.

Think Stan does a great job of preparation and brings out the best in his players. Doesn't do enough to develop younger talent, but then again, JJ was brought around right, Ryno's thrived, so maybe he's better at it than I thought.

But in a compressed season, I would like seeing the bench get a lot more burn. Driving our starters this hard is going to lead to a lot of injuries late in the season, I'm guessing.

Think Stan does a great job of preparation and brings out the best in his players. Doesn't do enough to develop younger talent, but then again, JJ was brought around right, Ryno's thrived, so maybe he's better at it than I thought.

But in a compressed season, I would like seeing the bench get a lot more burn. Driving our starters this hard is going to lead to a lot of injuries late in the season, I'm guessing.

I just don't think our bench is all that good and the rookies/new players have had little time to learn the offense.

I think Stan needs to take the Boston approach, meaning give your older starters a game off every now and then. I dont think seeding is too important this year. Less games in a compressed schedule should mean just being as healthy as possible come playoffs. I think Stan knows this but needs the starting 5 out there to get their chemistry. It seems lacking this year. Also keep in mind we're not practicing much.

I agree. I would definitely like to see this happen often.

Sometimes our offense looks like they are counting steps.. The PG stands at the top and you can clearly see how the play is developing. Jameer is finally getting to basket a little, but Duhon just stands at the top of the key. I would just like to see a lineup that pushes the tempo at certain times during the game.. Something, anything different..

• Upvote 1

SVG +:

- Overachieved in most of the seasons he has been here. Consistent 55-ish wins guy

- Was able to give Hedo the best role of his career. JJ Redick's improvement on defense is mostly due to him. Lee could never again do what he did for us.

- Modus operandi based in pick'n rolls, 3 point shots and controlling the paint was, for the most part, successful

- Late game offensive strategies

- He isn't Mike Brown or Kurt Rambis

SVG -:

- Inexplicably playing the starters when the game is already a blowout, risking unnecessary injuries

- Always preaches about protecting the ball, but our team seem to be one of the worse in turnovers

- Did not help improve Jameer's game. Did not play Gortat enough, Twin Towers could have been adavantegous in certain situations

- Very negative personality, that causes turmoil with some players

- He isn't Gregg Popovich or Phil Jackson

SVG Overall:

- Solid coach, whom you can count on to build your franchise with. Not a fast developer of young talent, but certainly has his team ready every night.

Rating: B

SVG -:

- Inexplicably playing the starters when the game is already a blowout, risking unnecessary injuries

- Always preaches about protecting the ball, but our team seem to be one of the worse in turnovers

First:

"I'm one of those people who watches and thinks, 'Why don't you get him out of the game?' " Reinsdorf said of Rose. "When Michael was still in the game and he would be in at the end of big wins, I'd say, 'Phil, why don't you take him out?' And Phil would say, 'When I was with the Knicks, an opponent once scored 23 straight points against us at the end of a game to win.' "

Reinsdorf rarely second-guesses his coaches and laughed that this was one time he wasn't going to win an argument.

Second, if our team took better care of the ball, maybe Stan wouldn't have to constantly harp about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First:

Second, if our team took better care of the ball, maybe Stan wouldn't have to constantly harp about it.

A+ Reply right here.

And looking at the votes so far, it's clear that SVG is the one thing that most Magic fans agree on.