Sign in to follow this  
cetintas22

"Forgotten Man" from Kevin Pelton

From John Denton:

``I kind of feel like I haven’t done anything yet because it’s so early in the season,’’ Turkoglu said.

But Magic coach Stan Van Gundy would beg to differ. ``To me an under-the-radar story is how great he’s played this year,’’ Van Gundy said of Turkoglu. ``You look at his shooting percentages are high, he has a lot of assists, he’s been very efficient and he’s made a lot of big plays. (Wednesday) night, was no different because those five points in a row against a great defender (Gerald Wallace), those were huge plays.’’

Van Gundy said the 32-year-old Turkoglu hit training camp in great shape following the lockout and he’s been extremely focused so far. And Van Gundy likes the pep that the 12-year veteran is playing with so far.

``He seems like he is (focused). With him the determining factor is where his energy level is,’’ Van Gundy added. ``It was very good (in Portland). When he’s playing with a lot of energy, he’s a very, very skilled guy. He had about four assists in a 5-minute period there that really got us going. He’s been terrific.’’

SVG also called Turkoglu a great player in an earlier interview this season.

Also, as I speak Hedo has the 10th best PER among NBA small forwards at 17.55.....counting SF's who average at least 20 or more minutes a game his True Shooting % of .605 would rank him 6th in the league. (Hollinger stats)

His Assist rate of 26.8 is The Number 1 player in the league !

However, his defense and rebounding need improving as evidenced in this article:

For one thing, the Magic’s defense is 6.75 points worse per 100 possessions when Turkoglu is on the floor (as opposed to being 2.76 points better per 100 possessions in 2009). Turk’s rebounding numbers are fairly abysmal at this point also. His defensive rebounding percentage is 9.6 percent, which comes to about four rebounds per game for him, and lower than his career percentage of 13.8 percent. That’s going to absolutely kill the Magic being that he’s averaging 32 minutes per game right now. That number will just have to go up. Turk has a career built on being a blue-collar guy who is going to do the little things right for the team. Rebounding is huge, and since he’s a long three who often gets matched with smaller opponents, Orlando simply can’t live without his contributions on the glass.

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2012/01/13/state-of-the-turkoglu-address/

GO MAGIC !!!!

• Upvote 3

From John Denton:

SVG also called Turkoglu a great player in an earlier interview this season.

Also, as I speak Hedo has the 10th best PER among NBA small forwards at 17.55.....counting SF's who average at least 20 or more minutes a game his True Shooting % of .605 would rank him 6th in the league. (Hollinger stats)

His Assist rate of 26.8 is The Number 1 player in the league !

However, his defense and rebounding need improving as evidenced in this article:

http://www.magicbasketball.net/2012/01/13/state-of-the-turkoglu-address/

GO MAGIC !!!!

The thing is that the way Hedo is playing does not surprise any of us that have memory past the end of this last lockout. If most people on here think similarly to me, then whilst happy with the way Turk has played.... in our head we are wondering when his efficiency and determination will all drop off and return to the level we have seen too often in seasons before. Its bound to occur.

His assist rate isn't even the highest on the team.

You mix everything, even statistics.

So, last night Bryant scored 42 pts. But he was 14/28. Then he is a bad shooter, isn't he?!?

I try to understand you for a very long time but I can not.

I do not understand your purpose.

You mix everything, even statistics.

Junkie made a statement. That statement was that Hedo was leading the league in Ast%.

That statement is fundamentally untrue.

That's not being negative. That's stating truth. If Junkie had said that Hedo was the Emperor of all Lasers, I'd have said that was untrue as well.

Stop being a player fan. It's not like you hide well that you only care about Hedo, but at least acknowledge what facts are.

So, last night Bryant scored 42 pts. But he was 14/28. Then he is a bad shooter, isn't he?!?

42 points on 28 field goal attempts is very efficient scoring, and 14/28 is 50% shooting: great for a perimeter player. So I don't really know what this issue even is.

Do you not understand what "efficiency" on offense means?

I try to understand you for a very long time but I can not.

I do not understand your purpose.

My purpose? Like, my goal in life?

Or is this a metaphysical thing? Does anyone really have a purpose? After all, we're all just molecules floating in space, man.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Junkie made a statement. That statement was that Hedo was leading the league in Ast%.

That statement is fundamentally untrue.

That's not being negative. That's stating truth. If Junkie had said that Hedo was the Emperor of all Lasers, I'd have said that was untrue as well.

Stop being a player fan. It's not like you hide well that you only care about Hedo, but at least acknowledge what facts are.

42 points on 28 field goal attempts is very efficient scoring, and 14/28 is 50% shooting: great for a perimeter player. So I don't really know what this issue even is.

My purpose? Like, my goal in life?

Or is this a metaphysical thing? Does anyone really have a purpose? After all, we're all just molecules floating in space, man.

I told you before, I am not a Hedo fan. I like Orlando more than Hedo. And yes, I am Turkish so I know all negative sides of Hedo more than anyone on this forum . But this is not about Hedo or Howard or Jameer. You critisize almost any player on this team and continuosly even after a wonderful team game, that is sth I can not understand. This is a fan forum as far as I know. It is not national tv's sports program which tries to be objective when talking about each team. Come on! We are fans of this team, all right, let's critisize our team <<sometimes>> but most of the time we must support our team, we must try to see the positive sides of our team. And...when a player plays well, there is no need to question past because when you question the past another one will try to question past, too. And past is not allways full of pains, it also has glories.

So, let's hope glories from our team's future.

Let's talk about positive things because we are FANS of this team!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, only you know about basketball and you are the GOD of basketball. Shall I be your prophet mylord?

You critisize almost any player on this team and continuosly even after a wonderful team game, that is sth I can not understand.

I know. I'm very even-handed in my criticism. Every player makes mistakes, just as every mistake should be pointed out. That's how improvement happens, both for the players playing in a game and for the fans on this forum that are watching. It's why I love Hubie Brown: when he's commentating on a game, any game, I will end up learning something from him. He's awesome at his job.

But that doesn't mean he's immune to criticism. He tends to ramble, and will occasionally ignore the game in favor of talking about something else.

You seem to think, for reasons too stupid to fathom, that I either dislike the team, or that my criticism undercuts my ability to be a fan. That's absolute crap. And since you seem to be confused on the issue, allow me to bold the following:

THE CRUELEST THING YOU CAN DO TO SOMETHING OR SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT IS TELL THEM THEY'RE PERFECT WHEN THEY'RE NOT.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

His assist rate isn't even the highest on the team.

I should have been more specific.

First off, this is how Hollinger defines his assist column in his stats:

AST: Assist Ratio - the percentage of a player's possessions that ends in an assist. Assist Ratio = (Assists x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]

And yes, Hedo as of this post has the top SF assist ratio in the league at 26.8

I'll leave a link for you to refer to but not sure if it's an insider link or not so here are the numbers for the top 5 in the league:

1.) Hedo Turkoglu.....26.8

2.) Mike Dunleavy.......24.6

3.) Lebron James.....21.3

4.) Damien Wilkins....21.2

5.) James Johnson....21.0

6.) Andre Iguodala.....20.5

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=sf&sort=assistRatio&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposition%3dsf%26sort%3dassistRatio.

I should have been more specific.

First off, this is how Hollinger defines his assist column in his stats:

AST: Assist Ratio - the percentage of a player's possessions that ends in an assist. Assist Ratio = (Assists x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]

And yes, Hedo as of this post has the top SF assist ratio in the league at 26.8

I'll leave a link for you to refer to but not sure if it's an insider link or not so here are the numbers for the top 5 in the league:

1.) Hedo Turkoglu.....26.8

2.) Mike Dunleavy.......24.6

3.) Lebron James.....21.3

4.) Damien Wilkins....21.2

5.) James Johnson....21.0

6.) Andre Iguodala.....20.5

http://insider.espn....%3dassistRatio.

When you say he's the "number 1 player in the league" at something, people take it as the #1 player in the league, not number #41st in the league and #1 amongst Small Forwards.