Sign in to follow this  
Secretly Space Jesus

2012 Election thread

People who vote straight party tickets every time no matter what are more damaging than people who don't vote.

Wholly agree.

Blind partisanship is one of the biggest problems with voting, in general. The only people these primaries/elections are truly catering to are the moderates and the independents.

I also disagree with the notion that the act of voting itself is all that matters and people should be shamed for not voting.

If I'm a person who is wholly unfamiliar with the issues in question or the candidates for whom I'm supposed to vote, not voting in that situation is absolutely the right thing to do.

It is far less problematic for people to abstain from voting altogether than it is to cast uninformed votes just because that's what you're supposed to do. People who vote straight party tickets every time no matter what are more damaging than people who don't vote.

Right.

I end up leaving a quarter of my ballot blank every time I vote, just because I know there are some smaller races that I dont have enough knowledge about to really make an informed vote.

I also disagree with the notion that the act of voting itself is all that matters and people should be shamed for not voting.

If I'm a person who is wholly unfamiliar with the issues in question or the candidates for whom I'm supposed to vote, not voting in that situation is absolutely the right thing to do.

It is far less problematic for people to abstain from voting altogether than it is to cast uninformed votes just because that's what you're supposed to do. People who vote straight party tickets every time no matter what are more damaging than people who don't vote.

I hate having to explain myself when people ask me why I don't vote. It's like i've committed a crime or something.

I agree 100%, you cannot be accurately represented if you don't know what/who you are voting for.

Unfortunately, that is the flaw of our system currently. The apathetic nature of people in regards to the issues is what's electing these failed politicians. I would also like to add the people who toe the party line and defend their politician to the death no matter what issue are also to blame, I've encountered many of those in this state. The black and white process of the 2 party system has distorted the mind of the voters into choosing ultimately one side and forcing themselves to totally agree and oppose the other side. It has completely destroyed any remaining ounce of objective thinking.

I find that most older people (60+) fall into this category, and with the ineptness of the younger generation to be involved, the process wont be changing anytime soon.

I'm sorry, but not voting in an election where you are directly represented is inexcusable in my opinion. As citizens we have a duty to be informed about our government and the issues it faces. It is not that difficult to research candidates and their positions in the age we live in today. Primary or party elections are different IMO than actually voting to put someone in representative office.

These are people whose salaries we pay and make decisions that affect our day-to-day lives.

It is our responsibility to be an informed populace, because those that wish to exploit us count on us being lazy, complacent, and disheartened with the process.

Even if you feel there isn't a single candidate out there who represents your beliefs, you can always write in candidates.

I don't understand how that's any different than not voting.

Sure the actual "act" of writing in a candidate may provide the same net as not voting, but they entail different levels of involvement.

In reality, most people that don't vote at all are just lazy, or refuse to do research on the candidates, instead choosing to view them through the usually biased media filter or through negative ads on both sides. Also, most people will say "I don't like Bush or Kerry so I'm not voting" and completely ignore the fact that there are several other races on the ballot.

It's inexcusable to not be informed on the races for those people who will be representing your interests.

Also, there are numerous parties that make the ballot in Florida every year, 99% of people can find a party to identify with. Sure, the two party system and winner-take-all method is flawed, but you aren't being some noble citizen by refusing to vote.

It's honestly a shame that so many people in this country take such a sacred right for granted. Especially in this country where it wasn't so long ago that people marched, were beaten and sometimes killed for asking for the right to do so in the first place.

To me, one of the great things about rights is that they aren't requirements. And there is a long list of things that I believe people should have a right to do that I don't personally do. Invoking something like that as a reason people should vote feels really phony to me.

Regardless, I will never feel that shaming someone for not doing something they don't want to do is anything other than counterproductive.

In news that isn't about whether or not one should always vote,

Unemployment drops by 0.2%, private sector adds 257,000 jobs in January. Government cuts 14,000 jobs in the same period.

Source.

That's actually really good news, since there is usually a pretty substantial drop in employment gains after the Christmas season ends. And given that's a solid amount of private sector growth as well.

20 years from now, when researchers go back and try to figure out how it was that, starting in early February of 2012, the United States went into the biggest economic boom in human history, they'll ultimately trace all of it back to Clint Eastwood telling America that their second half was about to start.

Seriously, it's completely off topic for this thread, and I don't care: how *****ing awesome was that commercial?