Sign in to follow this  
I love my PTSD.

Resignation

I quit watching baseball after the Major League Baseball strike, where they actually quit and didn't get it settled, thereby forefeiting their World Series. How could they do that?? Aside for the Little League World Series I haven't watched a single baseball game since.

I am beginning to have a similar feeling about this lockout. Not so much because the games are being cancelled or delayed, but rather because there appears to be no effort on either part to get the issues resolved. This is very disheartening and makes me sick to my stomach. There are no rumors, except for rumors that the season will be cancelled.

I am not a casual fan. This game has given me joy, and sometimes heartache in the past. But the heartache was because we lost, or because someone dissappointed me with their lack of skill or lack of management acumen.

The last lockout was different. I always felt like they were going to get it resolved at some time. And they did. This time I feel like both sides are shooting themselves in the head because they are trying to cure a headache.

I am not a casual fan. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on season tickets, chicken tenders, and parking. The NBA and the Magic have become an essential part of my life. I have a huge batch of memorabilia in a shrine of sorts upstairs in my house, a signed D12 jersey, and about 30 bobbleheads on display. And right now I have a pair of useless paid-for lower bowl season tickets for next year, with a promise that the Magic will dole my money back on a game by game basis as the lockout continues. They offered me a more lucrative deal if I let them keep the money and promised to get season tickets for the next year, too.

I am on the edge. I don't want to feel about the NBA they way I have felt about baseball. Seeing Ron Artest on Dancing with the Stars doesn't strenghen my confidence that there will be basketball next year. I understand that the players don't want to lose money, and that the owners don't want to lose money. It is only about that. Nobody cares about where the money comes from. It comes from me, and I paid to see them play. I paid for it and I want it.

If they don't solve this soon I will become an ex-NBA fan. Let the NBA find a replacement for me.

I hate this feeling.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/31834/signs-of-progress-in-new-york

Commissioner David Stern said the talks had been "intense." He said it's "getting to be an important time."

And he announced that next week's CBA talks would expand to include each side's full negotiating committee.

Deputy commissioner Adam Silver chastised a reporter for suggesting there have been no new proposals lately.

But the person who dropped the biggest hints that there is real movement in talks to salvage an NBA season from labor strife was union president Derek Fisher.

Yeah, I was going to post earlier but. . . bleh

lot of talk about how they're really close and some believe we'll have a full season. While I still expect the season to start at around December, January, it'd sure be nice if it was earlier. Don't think they'd be able to resolve it before October but the rumors aren't as bad as they were a few months ago.

Thanks, but that doesn't help much. Sounds like they are just talking about whether they will be talking.

So the official word is that there is no official word. These rumors are just part of the reason that i have the angst I have. They want to keep me believing their drivel while Ron Artest is being advertised for Dancing with the Stars, and players are making other plans.

This whole drama is what upsets me. If they can just "suddenly" kiss and make up it is almost worst. Owners and players acting like 2 year olds and expecting fans to just roll with the punches. I really wish I could be an optomist, but won't be fooled by an official press release of unfounded and disputed rumors.

Sounds like professional sports in general is not your cup of tea.

You might be right. I was a Mets fan from their inception until baseball imploded. And I have been a Magic fan since their inception. But in general I believe my fanhood needs to be earned, and I don't particularly don't like being jerked around.

Yet, I recall sitting in the Arena for years watching the hapless magic after Shaq left, and continuing through the whole Grant Hill debacle. And I already have season tickets for next year.

So you may be right, I obviously don't like professional sports.

Thanks, but that doesn't help much. Sounds like they are just talking about whether they will be talking.

That's not really what that is saying at all. Fisher is mentioning that they need to get their entire negotiating team together to review the overall points of the deal. It sounds a lot like they are getting close to a resolution. But then, that's just me.

You might be right. I was a Mets fan from their inception until baseball imploded. And I have been a Magic fan since their inception. But in general I believe my fanhood needs to be earned, and I don't particularly don't like being jerked around.

Yet, I recall sitting in the Arena for years watching the hapless magic after Shaq left, and continuing through the whole Grant Hill debacle. And I already have season tickets for next year.

There is no way to have professional sports leagues without these things happening from time to time.

It's not a matter of the owners or players not appreciating the fans, it's a side effect of these leagues being businesses. Until the goal is no longer to turn a profit, strikes and lockouts are going to happen.

So yes, if this bothers you, professional sports are not your thing. Amateur leagues don't have labor disputes.

I have been considering following high school football teams in the area. The Bucs are always blacked out, and frankly, it makes me lose interest. I am a fan because I want to be able to follow my team, not try to find illegal streams uploaded by some dude on a 56k connection.

I love football and tbh, it would be fun to follow a "purer" version.

I think leagues forget that fans are true customers of their products because of the fanaticism involved. The NBA already will not see a cent of my money in any fashion because of the way they run their league. I hate the rule changes they have made over the years that have changed the game fundamentally from the years that marked me in my youth, the years of Jordan and the Bulls. (Although I was a fan of neither.)

I have been considering following high school football teams in the area. The Bucs are always blacked out, and frankly, it makes me lose interest. I am a fan because I want to be able to follow my team, not try to find illegal streams uploaded by some dude on a 56k connection.

I think leagues forget that fans are true customers of their products because of the fanaticism involved. The NBA already will not see a cent of my money in any fashion because of the way they run their league. I hate the rule changes they have made over the years that have changed the game fundamentally from the years that marked me in my youth, the years of Jordan and the Bulls. (Although I was a fan of neither.)

Finally, someone who understands how I feel. Everyone else straps in every time there is a rumor, expecting that somehow the two parties are going to kiss and make up for some altruistic reason.

And all of that is made worse now that the Magic have said that they want to tear down Oopsie Scoopsie. Oh, the Humanity.

What about college football? Big FSU game this weekend