Sign in to follow this  
BMP

NBA 2k12

If you're 2K Sports, how do you top Michael Jordan as your cover athlete? Easy. Simply bring MJ back, only this time reunite him with fellow Dream Teamers Larry Bird and Magic Johnson for three distinct and visually stunning covers.

That's right, 2K Sports is splitting the production run between three legendary boxes this year, as stores will actually receive an equal 33 percent share of Jordan, Magic and Bird covers from day one, enabling gamers to decide which superstar they want to stare at for the next 12 months between 2K cycles.

And with the NBA in full lockout mode, seems to be a great time for 2K Sports to go retro again, especially when you factor in the 5 million-plus copies "NBA 2K11" has already sold across all platforms, thanks to "His Airness."

I guess that's why 2K Sports has also reached a three-year extended partnership with Jordan to bring him back to the virtual hardwood in future games.

"Michael Jordan for us last year was a huge success from a fan standpoint and an in-game standpoint," says Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. "But in 2K Sports fashion, we continue to improve, we continue to evolve, and this year we're taking it up a notch by having three covers of the game.

"And to take it up another notch, we're departing from our traditional brand look. We wanted to do something that was really dynamic and really different this year, so we talked with a bunch of sports artists and street artists, and we ended up teaming with a sports photographer named Adam Larson. He has done a ton of high-profile stuff, including an ESPN The Magazine cover, so we partnered with him to create all of the artwork for all three covers for us. All of the artwork is consistent between the covers in terms of look and feel and cover scheme. The only thing different, of course, is the athlete."

While Argent explains the differences in the covers, he's also quick to point out that the game will have the same features, no matter which version you buy. "The game under all three covers is the exact same," he explains. "Having Michael, having Magic and having Larry Bird involved will tie to the game and to some of the features that we'll be unveiling in a couple of weeks, but that's all I can say right now."

As long as my Larry Legend moments include a Dr. J choke-fight, I'm down.

Look for "NBA 2K12" to hit stores Oct. 4, 2011 (whether there's a real season or not), for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, Wii, PSP and Windows PC.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6789933/jordan-bird-magic-cover-nba-2k12

284876_10150726117885305_221292025304_19537679_2924713_n.jpg

283451_10150726117195305_221292025304_19537664_3919830_n.jpg

281444_10150726117520305_221292025304_19537672_7650905_n.jpg

I'm buying Bird.

Also, they need to scratch a mode and focus on a full blown retro mode. Give us one classic team for each franchise atleast. I don't care what it takes, it would be SO awesome. Having a few from 2k11 was good, but it got me salivating for more.

I'm buying Bird.

Also, they need to scratch a mode and focus on a full blown retro mode. Give us one classic team for each franchise atleast. I don't care what it takes, it would be SO awesome. Having a few from 2k11 was good, but it got me salivating for more.

I have a feeling 2k12 WILL be full blown retro mode. They'll have updated rosters and all of that but add a lot more retro teams.

Now, how awesome (but unfortunately unlikely) it would be if they along with making My Player mode even better, they added the choice of choosing the year your player got drafted at? I understand this would be extremely hard so maybe they could have one in the 80s, 90s, Lakers Shaq 2000s and current. I don't know, it would be incredible. Maybe the 90s could be the year Jordan comes back from retirement so commentary would talk about that, the 80s year could be when Magic and Bird got into the league so they'd be the "main events", and 2000s would revolve around Shaq and the Lakers dominance (yuck) along with Duncan.

I could see this as being something we might only see in a few years but man it would be awesome. I think commentary alone it would take months to get done, though.

Not sure if I could get myself to buy the game if there's no season. The rosters will be virtually the same and I just won't be in the "feel" for the game. I believ that 2K is going to see a significant hit in sales from the lockout, too

Looks like I'll be sticking with Madden and NCAA longer than usual this year :svgsad:

Regarding the covers, it bugs me a little bit that Bird's and Magic's cover have red backdrops, instead of green and yellow/purple...

• Upvote 1

Regarding the covers, it bugs me a little bit that Bird's and Magic's cover have red backdrops, instead of green and yellow/purple...

That's exactly what I thought