Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

Possibly no season

If it truly wasn't about both sides wanting more money, the owners make more, the players make more and we the fans pay more.

They could always agree to stop raising ticket prices so both sides don't make "too much" over the other and the fans can actually benefit for a change.

Just saying.

I kind of feel sorry for him. Parking the monster must be a b**ch.

Or incredibly easy: just park ON the other cars.

I remember seeing Shaq's old cars when he was here and thinking the same thing.

Seriously, when I see vehicles like that and just stupid expenditures of wealth, I almost believe it when someone like Sprewell say they have to feed their family...

As a long time lower-bowl season ticket holder (since 1990) I kind of like the idea of the season being shorter. Saves me money. I just received notice from the Magic that I would get my money back from any games lost to the lockout, plus interest. Probably be better than a CD.

I stayed around last time there was a lockout because they were wise enough to creat a mini season that permitted a Playoff Series and Championship. If it works like that this year I will probably stay around. If not, I will just box all my Magic stuff with the old New York Mets stuff that I stored that year baseball canceled the World Series. I haven't intentionally watched a full baseball game since that year.

Maybe then I will start watching small school high school football. The season tickets are a whole lot cheaper, and I don't imagine they will quit playing over money any time soon.

As a long time lower-bowl season ticket holder (since 1990) I kind of like the idea of the season being shorter. Saves me money. I just received notice from the Magic that I would get my money back from any games lost to the lockout, plus interest. Probably be better than a CD.

I stayed around last time there was a lockout because they were wise enough to creat a mini season that permitted a Playoff Series and Championship. If it works like that this year I will probably stay around. If not, I will just box all my Magic stuff with the old New York Mets stuff that I stored that year baseball canceled the World Series. I haven't intentionally watched a full baseball game since that year.

Maybe then I will start watching small school high school football. The season tickets are a whole lot cheaper, and I don't imagine they will quit playing over money any time soon.

That's one reason why college football is by far my favorite sport- players aren't playing for money and very few have egos

That's one reason why college football is by far my favorite sport- players aren't playing for money and very few have egos

that doesn't mean the ticket prices aren't just as outrageous, and many schools bank on that as well as merchandise and goodwill. Players should get paid in college football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

that doesn't mean the ticket prices aren't just as outrageous, and many schools bank on that as well as merchandise and goodwill. Players should get paid in college football.

I think they should get a small allowance to pay for things such as food, but a full pay roll? No. Free tuition is a payment in its own.

After suffering through the Buckeye fiasco this last year, and watching a championship voided, I now have difficulty watching college football without thinking it is tainted. All of the big schools are suspect. Yes, even Florida. Coaches have to walk such a fine line when recruiting that they inevitably mess up. Boosters cross the line by making sure that the prospects visit is good, including a happy ending. Local vendors tempt the kids to use their products, despite knowing that they are putting the students in jeopardy.

The auto dealers, barber shops, and other temptations out there are overwhelming to 18 and 19 year old phenoms, who already think they are better than others and have a right to special favors. They have received them since they were in junior high. But the temptors don't get punished. Just the kids.

It has gotten to the point where the only true sport happens in your own back yard on a makeshift hoop, or with a tree being the goal line. Amateur doesn't include major colleges any more. And a lot of pros have become pompous asses who only care about their own pleasure or money. The whole system of pro sport has become a game of profit instead of sport. The hardest fought moments happen behind closed doors in contract negotiations.

I am beginning to understand why the Roman Arena was so popular. Winners were easy to identify because the loser was laying in a heap on the bloody ground. The second place guy didn't get to renegotiate with another sponsor. He just went to meet his maker. We didn't have to listen to him whine about the refs or complain about cheating. Cheating was allowed. The crowd came for the show, and the people running the show did the very best they could to keep the show interesting. Gladiators didn't get long term contracts.

I love the Magic, and have always enjoyed the fact that the team tried to get high quality guys. My favorite teams were the "heart and hustle" guys. Their effort was obvious, they showed true joy when they won, and they didn't whine when they lost.

Hey, I don't expect the pro players to share ice cream with their opponents after a game, but I do wish that they had a lot more respect for the game itself, and the fans who pay to see it. I am deeply disappointed that all of this is happening in the world of sport.

• Upvote 1

I am beginning to understand why the Roman Arena was so popular. Winners were easy to identify because the loser was laying in a heap on the bloody ground. The second place guy didn't get to renegotiate with another sponsor. He just went to meet his maker. We didn't have to listen to him whine about the refs or complain about cheating. Cheating was allowed. The crowd came for the show, and the people running the show did the very best they could to keep the show interesting. Gladiators didn't get long term contracts.

This is only true in the Hollywood version of the Roman Colliseum.

In reality, while fighters were killed at times, we know enough about the era, as well as having the won/loss records of enough fighters, to know that the better fighters regularly lost and weren't killed.