Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread part VI: Return of the Lockout

any meetings scheduled? whats the latest. any news on the recovery of jj and q-rich? i've been on vacation and haven't been watching.

Labor negotiators plan first post-NBA lockout talks

By Steve Aschburner, NBA.com

Posted Jul 28 2011 7:27AM

Representatives of the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association will meet next week in New York for the first post-lockout negotiating session, sources confirmed to NBA.com Wednesday.

The two sides have not met since June 30, the date that the last collective bargaining agreement expired. The date and time of next week's meeting was not confirmed, although various outlets were reporting that it could be as soon as Monday. The Web site SBNation.com carried a report Tuesday that a bargaining session would be held in the first two weeks of August.

Next week's session is expected to include key figures, from commissoner David Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver to NBPA executive director Billy Hunter and NBA players. Two meetings in July to finalize calculations related to 2010-11 basketball-related income (BRI) on which the NBA's player-compensation system is based were attended by staff members from both sides.

As informal deadlines go, a meeting next week at least would beat the time frame of the 1998 lockout. That summer, the two sides went from July 22 until Aug. 6 without a negotiating session. That lockout lasted until January, nearly torpedoing the entire season before a last-second agreement led to a 50-game regular season.

The NBA's owners voted to impose the current lockout after CBA talks in May and June failed to close a significant gap in their positions. The owners, citing losses by 22 of the league's 30 teams totaling $300 million for 2010-11, are seeking a reduction in the players' share of BRI from 57 percent to 50 percent. They also want a hard salary cap and shorter contracts.

The players want to continue under a soft-cap system and, in a meeting last month, offered to reduce their share of BRI to 54.3 percent. By their projections, that would reduce their compensation by more than $500 million over the life of a six-year CBA. The union also has urged the NBA owners to increase their revenue sharing as a way of creating more competitive balance, if not profitability.

http://www.nba.com/2...alks/index.html

FIBA clears NBA players to play abroad during lockout

GENEVA, Switzerland – FIBA has confirmed it will approve the transfer of players under contract with the NBA deciding to play for clubs of FIBA affiliated leagues during the on-going lockout.

During a lockout NBA players who continue to be under contract with an NBA team are free to play anywhere they want, whether for their national teams and/or for club teams.

If an NBA player requests to play for a club of a FIBA affiliated league, the NBA will not object but will state that the player will have to return to his NBA team as soon as the lockout ends. Consequently, FIBA will deliver a letter of clearance subject to the receipt of a declaration signed by the player, stating that he will return to his NBA team when the lockout is over.

“As the world governing body for basketball, we strongly hope that the labour dispute will be resolved as soon as possible, and that the NBA season is able to begin as scheduled,” said FIBA Secretary General and IOC member, Patrick Baumann.

“In view of our role to promote basketball worldwide, we support any player wishing to play the game, wherever and whenever. We do so while obviously taking the interests, rights and obligations of all parties into account,” he added.

“We are delighted to see that, in spite of widespread doubts related to the lockout, National Teams competing in this summer’s Olympic Qualifiers will be able to count on the participation of most of their NBA stars.”

Any NBA player deciding to play during the lockout, does so at his own risk, notably if he sustains an injury.

FIBA has stated that it is up to the clubs to decide whether or not they shall sign a waiver clearing them of any responsibility towards the player in case of injury and other reasons preventing him from returning to the NBA and from fulfilling his obligations vis-à-vis his NBA team.

http://www.fiba.com/...48378/arti.html

Durant 50-50 on going to Europe, Dwight still thinking about going to play in China, Kobe is meeting up with Besikta (the team DWill is going to play for), Dwight is going to work with Hakeem for 5 days, Arenas is still a clown, etc

Arenas is still a clown, etc

I really expected more of him...no I didn't.

I dont really check the forums that much in off-season anyway, so atm there is nothing really out of ordinary that has happened. When the games dont start then I'll be saaaaaad.

• Downvote 1

Damn, I wish Portugal was richer so I could watch NBA players live :creaturedance:

No news on anyone signing with a spanish team? I could get to watch some games

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In news that is worth absolutely nothing, I can report that the rumors from earlier this summer about Gilbert losing weight are absolutely true, the dude is cut up.

Unfortunately he is still playing like a scrub, which is alarming considering this is YMCA competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's because they don't have 7 game series.

Interesting thought

Even still, as far as acquiring talent, there is no doubt that the NFL has a more balanced system in place.