Sign in to follow this  
i_forgot_my_password

DeAndre Liggins

You know it's a steal when you get the 5th best player on a college team.

Come on man, just stop. You are coming across like you are an expert on every prospect in the draft. Reading draftexpress, watching a few youtube clips, and catching a couple of games in the tournament does not make you an NBA scout. I honestly know next to nothing about this kid. He probably doesn't make the roster. That said, I'm not going to view these youtube clips, read his scouting report and then pretend like I know whether he will make it in the league. If the guys that are being paid professionally to evaluate these players consistently make mistakes, then how are a bunch of random message board posters that's never seen the kid in person more knowledgable?

Come on man, just stop. You are coming across like you are an expert on every prospect in the draft. Reading draftexpress, watching a few youtube clips, and catching a couple of games in the tournament does not make you an NBA scout. I honestly know next to nothing about this kid. He probably doesn't make the roster. That said, I'm not going to view these youtube clips, read his scouting report and then pretend like I know whether he will make it in the league. If the guys that are being paid professionally to evaluate these players consistently make mistakes, then how are a bunch of random message board posters that's never seen the kid in person more knowledgable?

The same could be said about people calling him the steal of the draft and that he'll be great. . . most of us really don't know and really, most of the things said on this forum should be regarded as opinion.

I'm just saying I've never seen anyone with his background, stats, and position on his team make an NBA roster and it baffles me that we picked him. If someone could say "his career path is similar to ____" I'd stop but I can't find any success story to compare him to and that bothers me.

I'm just saying I've never seen anyone with his background, stats, and position on his team make an NBA roster and it baffles me that we picked him. If someone could say "his career path is similar to ____" I'd stop but I can't find any success story to compare him to and that bothers me.

The kid has fought his whole life... just had a baby... wants to succeed so he can take care of his family... I think he has a better chance at success than Orton does justout of determination.

I watched him get better everytime he stepped on the floor at Kentucky... I have more knowledge on him than anyone on this board (unless someone else has watched every Kentucky game since his arrival)... IMO he will have success with us.

One thing you probably don't know which does change the "stats" part of Liggins is the first two years he was at Kentucky were the years that we had a god-awful coach who used him incorrectly. All Billy Gillespie did was go to Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, and Derick Jasper (who Billy G forced to come back early from knee surgery to play). So that hurt him. He fits MUCH better in Cal's type of system, run and gun. Which hopefully the Magic will get back to eventually. So that did effect the stats.

And honestly, the "he was the 5th best player on his college team" thing is just a ignorant argument to make. When you have a team like Kentucky with a coach like Cal, you can't say that.

Last two seasons at Kentucky:

Patrick Patterson (1st pick)

Demarcus Cousins (1st pick)

John Wall (1st pick)

Daniel Orton (1st pick)

Eric Bledsoe (1st pick)

Terrance Jones (going to be a 1st pick)

Josh Harrelson (2nd pick)

Brandon Knight (1st pick)

Enes Kanter (1st pick)

Doron Lamb (going to either be a late 1st or early 2nd pick in a stacked draft)

DeAndre Liggins

You have that talent on a team and then you say, this kid is the 5th best player on this team. I consider that a compliment looking at who he is playing with.

Give the kid a chance and I promise you this, he'll never quit and he'll turn into one of the best perimeter defenders the Magic have if he makes the roster.

The kid has fought his whole life... just had a baby... wants to succeed so he can take care of his family... I think he has a better chance at success than Orton does justout of determination.

I watched him get better everytime he stepped on the floor at Kentucky... I have more knowledge on him than anyone on this board (unless someone else has watched every Kentucky game since his arrival)... IMO he will have success with us.

We thought the same thing about Sticks last offseason.

Orlando Magic: 2-2 — Justin Harper, PF, RIchmond (via Cavaliers), 2-23 — DeAndre Liggins, SG, Kentucky

These are solid picks for the Magic in the second round, especially Harper since most mocks had him going in the first. He’s a perfect stretch four who can complement Dwight Howard by creating space for the big man in the middle. Liggins is pretty much a one dimensional type of player, but that dimension is a desirable one for the Magic — defense. If he makes the roster, he can be an excellent role player off the bench.

Grade: B+

http://blogs.thescore.com/tbj/2011/06/24/2011-nba-draft-grades-eastern-conference/

• Upvote 1

One thing you probably don't know which does change the "stats" part of Liggins is the first two years he was at Kentucky were the years that we had a god-awful coach who used him incorrectly. All Billy Gillespie did was go to Patrick Patterson, Jodie Meeks, and Derick Jasper (who Billy G forced to come back early from knee surgery to play). So that hurt him. He fits MUCH better in Cal's type of system, run and gun. Which hopefully the Magic will get back to eventually. So that did effect the stats.

And honestly, the "he was the 5th best player on his college team" thing is just a ignorant argument to make. When you have a team like Kentucky with a coach like Cal, you can't say that.

Last two seasons at Kentucky:

Patrick Patterson (1st pick)

Demarcus Cousins (1st pick)

John Wall (1st pick)

Daniel Orton (1st pick)

Eric Bledsoe (1st pick)

Terrance Jones (going to be a 1st pick)

Josh Harrelson (2nd pick)

Brandon Knight (1st pick)

Enes Kanter (1st pick)

Doron Lamb (going to either be a late 1st or early 2nd pick in a stacked draft)

DeAndre Liggins

You have that talent on a team and then you say, this kid is the 5th best player on this team. I consider that a compliment looking at who he is playing for.

Give the kid a chance and I promise you this, he'll never quit and he'll turn into one of the best perimeter defenders the Magic have if he makes the roster.

dont worry, I want him to do well. I just wish there was something i could look to that would indicate he can be a successful player. If he was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school but had a disappointing college career (like malcolm lee) it would be a different story.

The same could be said about people calling him the steal of the draft and that he'll be great. . . most of us really don't know and really, most of the things said on this forum should be regarded as opinion.

That's fair. Calling him a steal without seeing him play a minute in the pros is overboard as well. I think it's important to keep things like a late second round pick in perspective. He probably doesn't make the team, but if he somehow does, he could fill a weakness that all of us have been complaing about....perimeter defense. If he can do that, then that is an epic success for this pick.

dont worry, I want him to do well. I just wish there was something i could look to that would indicate he can be a successful player. If he was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school but had a disappointing college career (like malcolm lee) it would be a different story.

Well I look at it this way, can a player go into the NBA and not succeed at scoring but make his living on defense? Yes, you see it all the time, players have their niche by being a defensive stopper. Rondo (another KY guy) made his name in the NBA because of he defensive hands, his speed, and passing ability. Not his shot.

I still think the best player to compare him to his Q Rich. He comes in for defense and can hit the occasional 3. That is what Liggins can do but he can also drive to the basket.

I think him and Harper are solid choices and I wouldn't be surprised if both join the Magic seeing how there is a need in that position with JRich and Earl have contacts that are up.