Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread pt V: The Sentinel Strikes Back (and makes us sad)

okay I wanted to get this off my chest. 95% of you are the most annoying, impulsive, brain-dead, nagging, and every other related adjective, fans I have ever seen. The chat room was so horrible that after 5 minutes last night, I couldn't stand being in there to see everyone whine like dogs about how "otis is this and that, we suck bla bla bla." there needs to be a point where enough is enough. I'm tired of reading through the same crap over and over in every single thread.

Glad I went to sleep early last night, lol deandre liggins and Justin Harper FTW

• Upvote 2

Woah, I'd expect this from some of the other knee-jerkers, but not you, Acres.

People act as if Otis deliberately sabotaged the team. When fans clamored for trades/movement in late Nov/early Dec, he answered the call. Yes, Arenas looked terrible from the outset, but the fanbase was beginning to lose interest in the team. Something new/fresh had to happen. There's an annoying double-standard at work here.

Plus, how does anyone know he wasn't looking for options in the first place? Because he wasn't constantly on the phone in the war room? The man is trying.

@BMP I agree, it isn't very likely that there were moves to be made that made sense for this team but that isn't what I'm ticked about.

Tity, here is my problem. It isn't that he didn't make a move tonight when there was one available, it's that he created the situation where there wasn't one available. Unfortunatley for me I wasn't one of those people that were begging for any move to happen back in Dec, I wanted the right move to happen. We had two major assets going into last season that we could afford to part with and that should have netted us something of use, Gortat and Vince's contract. I didn't mind picking up Richardson but hated getting Hedo back. That is compounded by Otis following a long standing tradition of Magic GM's where we seem to give other teams as much as humanly possible rather than putting the screws to other teams. We had till the Feb deadline and instead jumped the gun and gave away a 1st along with both of our useable assets. What did we give that away for? 2 players that Phx was not going to resign, who had the leverage here? Who needed pieces more? Or let me put it this way is it easier to find a 2 guard or a starting center? Were there no other 2 guards available that could have fit our team? We had the leverage here and we still gave away everything we had and then some.

All of that still doesn't even factor in the Arenas move. It's unforgiveable. No reason what so ever for it other than, I really like this kid. I'm sure the man didn't wake up one morning and say, I think I will bend over the collective fanbase today, but I do think he had Gilbert colored glasses on and saw nothing but him. He gave away everything we had and painted us into a corner all in one day. We can say he made the moves early to give the team time to gel but did they do that anyway? He must have known that Stans D takes time to learn because he's come out and said as much. He knee jerked and it has cost us big, I just pray that Dwight will have the patience to put up with this because I don't want to see another franchise player walk out. Sooner or later we are going to run out of luck with ping pong balls.

I'm going to go ahead and vent a little more.

Going on TV, Radio, and in print and telling your fanbase that the moves that were out there just didn't make sense for the franchise going forward makes me want to punch myself in the face. If trading for Arenas who couldn't move or shoot at 20 mill a year and Hedo who you didn't want back at that number to begin with all while giving away the farm is the trade(s) that do make sense then what are other GM's offering that doesn't make sense? A bag of Josh Smiths urine with a bow on it for Jameer?

His latest gem was that our players just didn't play well in the playoffs? I too was very suprised that Jason didn't play well but who on this board, not GM's but average person on this board didn't see Hedo and Gilbert not playing well coming from a mile away? The man passed on resigning Hedo for this very reason, we all KNOW that he knew he wouldn't deliver. But that was a trade that made sense to him. He could have passed on it and continued searching for the right deal, instead he took that one. So instead of coming off a 1st round exit with something to work with in an effort to please the one guy we NEED to please, we are coming off a 1st round exit with no bullets to fire off.

• Upvote 2

Tity, here is my problem. It isn't that he didn't make a move tonight when there was one available, it's that he created the situation where there wasn't one available. Unfortunatley for me I wasn't one of those people that were begging for any move to happen back in Dec, I wanted the right move to happen. We had two major assets going into last season that we could afford to part with and that should have netted us something of use, Gortat and Vince's contract. I didn't mind picking up Richardson but hated getting Hedo back. That is compounded by Otis following a long standing tradition of Magic GM's where we seem to give other teams as much as humanly possible rather than putting the screws to other teams. We had till the Feb deadline and instead jumped the gun and gave away a 1st along with both of our useable assets. What did we give that away for? 2 players that Phx was not going to resign, who had the leverage here? Who needed pieces more? Or let me put it this way is it easier to find a 2 guard or a starting center? Were there no other 2 guards available that could have fit our team? We had the leverage here and we still gave away everything we had and then some.

100% agreed. If Otis would have waited instead of jumping the gun in December, I think Utah might have been more apt to trade Deron Williams to the Magic with Gortat as the centerpiece along with other players we had, rather than accepting the New Jersey deal. The fact is that if we are sitting right now with D-Will, Dwight would be locked in for the long haul.

100% agreed. If Otis would have waited instead of jumping the gun in December, I think Utah might have been more apt to trade Deron Williams to the Magic with Gortat as the centerpiece along with other players we had, rather than accepting the New Jersey deal. The fact is that if we are sitting right now with D-Will, Dwight would be locked in for the long haul.

So you blame Otis for not holding out for a trade that he had no way of knowing would have potentially existed, for one of the top 8 players in the NBA, and you think this trade could have feasibly been built around our backup center?

So you blame Otis for not holding out for a trade that he had no way of knowing would have potentially existed, for one of the top 8 players in the NBA, and you think this trade could have feasibly been built around our backup center?

I think the point is: why marry the fat, old ugly chick when you could possibly nail some hot drunk chick later?

• Upvote 1

Wow just wow. I can't believe i'm reading this...

Did you think for a second before making that post?

Yes...he is the GM. Know your job and that is your job. Im thinking Dwill was had for less than we could and should have offered. With the reaching for centers in this years draft that dont exist you could easily see gortats value to a team. Sure I knew he hadnt had a lot of playing time but neither did kyrie Irving and the other top 3 picks in the draft and teams seemed more than capable of analyzing their importance and talent.

Respectfully, there is no defending Otis' moves based on ignorance. It doesnt work for my employees and it certainly shouldnt work for someone of Otis salary!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes...he is the GM. Know your job and that is your job. Im thinking Dwill was had for less than we could and should have offered. With the reaching for centers in this years draft that dont exist you could easily see gortats value to a team. Sure I knew he hadnt had a lot of playing time but neither did kyrie Irving and the other top 3 picks in the draft and teams seemed more than capable of analyzing their importance and talent.

Respectfully, there is no defending Otis' moves based on ignorance. It doesnt work for my employees and it certainly shouldnt work for someone of Otis salary!

you are absolutely delusional if you think we could have offered better than Derrick favors and TWO first round draft picks, one of them used to acquire Enes Kanter.