Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Offseason Thread pt V: The Sentinel Strikes Back (and makes us sad)

Rich owners, money making large markets? Point is if you have the money in the NBA you can put a better team on the court period and that just is true. I am not going any further cause I have been on these boards long enough to know that if I don't stop you definately won't. As for my views? I am with Barkley on this one.

While you certainly can throw money at the situation to make improvements, it doesn't guarantee any positive results. A well managed team with decent resources is better than a poorly managed team with "unlimited" resources in this league.

Rich owners, money making large markets? Point is if you have the money in the NBA you can put a better team on the court period and that just is true. I am not going any further cause I have been on these boards long enough to know that if I don't stop you definately won't. As for my views? I am with Barkley on this one.

The NBA may be becoming more like what the perception of MLB is, but the facts show that the perception is completely unfounded.

My only point in this discussion is that the MLB is often the go-to example of a sports league where parity does not exist because financial constraints are not in place, but a quick look at what actually goes on in the various sports leagues shows that this is untrue.

While you certainly can throw money at the situation to make improvements, it doesn't guarantee any positive results. A well managed team with decent resources is better than a poorly managed team with "unlimited" resources in this league.

I agree, like in the Magic's case and the awful contracts we currently have that is just poor management. If it was a 100% true that the more money you spend the better the team you will have then it would be Lakers Magic finals every year. Having said that though, both the Lakers and Magic have been very competitive year after year which leads me to believe throwing a lot of money has something to do with that.

I agree, like in the Magic's case and the awful contracts we currently have that is just poor management. If it was a 100% true that the more money you spend the better the team you will have then it would be Lakers Magic finals every year. Having said that though, both the Lakers and Magic have been very competitive year after year which leads me to believe throwing a lot of money has something to do with that.

It actually has more to do with Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant. Not money.

This.

In any sport, success comes with good team management and a great deal of luck. The Knicks would have owned the 2000s if spending money was at all as important as it's made out to be.

Charles Barkley blames the movement of several of the game's best players to the NBA's biggest markets as part of the reason why the owners are so committed to overhauling the current CBA.

“Well I think, and I’m not saying this because I’m in the NBA, if you go back and look, David Stern has been the best commissioner in sports the last 25 years. It would take a miracle on his part not to have a lockout and I truly believe that. I think there’s going to be a lockout, I think the owners are dug in, I think they want to send a message to these players.

“I think they’re really upset by this LeBron James-Chris Bosh situation, because their teams don’t have to be really good, but I feel like if they have a star in their market they can make some money. And if all the stars want to play together . . . we’re almost becoming like baseball where you’ve got a few good teams and the rest of them stink.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214456/Barkley_Cites_Superstar_Movement_As_A_Main_Cause_Of_Lockout#ixzz1QggMQJVN

Barkley for new league commish! or Orlando Magic GM ;)

Really, I couldn't agree with Barkley more. Had they won the championship, it would have become "the" blueprint for the next decade or whatever. You'd have any star that could migrate to big market teams and the rest of the league would straight-up suck.

Disagree. Major factors though but basketball is too much of a team sport to assume Kobe could have been as competitve without Shaq or Gasol.

BQRMagic Evan Dunlap

Harper and Liggins have been in town for 3 days and working out/doing drills w/ players and coaches at Amway Center.

4 minutes ago

»

BQRMagic Evan Dunlap

SVG: Liggins has "no problem" hitting the 3 at NBA range. Said lots of college players struggle w/ NBA distance, but not Liggins.

6 minutes ago

BQRMagic Evan Dunlap

SVG said he knew strengths of Harper (outside shooting) and Liggins (D) but was pleasantly surprised w/ Harper's handle, Liggins' 3pt range

7 minutes ag

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Dwight probably has more to do with Orlando than money in general as far as being competitive goes, and the Lakers are a fairly well managed team.

Actually, if Orlando was well managed, and threw around the same resources, I believe we would be much more competitive. Orlando is a great example of how just throwing money at a situation will only get you so far.

Dwight probably has more to do with Orlando than money in general as far as being competitive goes, and the Lakers are a fairly well managed team.

Actually, if Orlando was well managed, and threw around the same resources, I believe we would be much more competitive. Orlando is a great example of how just throwing money at a situation will only get you so far.

And to add to that, Orlando getting Dwight in the first place had absolutely nothing to do with money. And I don't think anyone would disagree that he's the single biggest factor in whatever success this team has had recently.

I completely agree, Orlando threw money for average players and locked them into bad contracts. Which is where this whole discussions stemmed from in Charles Barkley's statements. The NBA functions a lot on star power.